Tugboat and Marine

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
nbus qld

Tugboat and Marine

Post by nbus qld »

Does any one know if I could pick up the tugboats or ships in Brisbane or around Queensland please. I want to see if I can hear the Tugs going to rescue the Stricken cargo ship.
517J and 517K.
bodyguard

Re: Tugboat and Marine

Post by bodyguard »

guessing they would be using low power vhf freqs for the rescue
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Re: Tugboat and Marine

Post by Comint »

nbus qld wrote:Does any one know if I could pick up the tugboats or ships in Brisbane or around Queensland please. I want to see if I can hear the Tugs going to rescue the Stricken cargo ship.
Bit hard to say. I think the tug companies would have their own frequencies, but they would need to operate on the VHF Marine frequencies around the Port.

Jaycar have a list of the VHF Marine frequencies at:-
http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/nzmarine.pdf

There is also AIS on 161.975 (AIS 1), or 162.025 (AIS 2).

There are also some UHF frequencies, which are intended for "onboard ship use" but which would probably also get used in this situation.

The UHF frequencies are:-

457.5250 / 467.5250
457.5500 / 467.5500
457.5750 / 467.5750

which may be used as six Simplex frequencies, or as three Repeater pairs.

And, of course, there are also the MF Marine frequencies.

Until 30 June 2012, the Australian Maritime College, in conjunction with the ACMA, is offering a FREE download of the Marine Radio Operators Handbook, at www.amc.edu.au/handbook, which contains a lot of information on ALL the Marine frequencies, and is worth having in the "scanner listeners" arsenal.

--
Comint