QPS - Polair 1

For all those camera snappy enthusiasts, share your images whether they be of radio communications, emergency services or incidents etc
Stretch
Forum Manager

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Stretch »

Or whatever the other callsigns are. Based at the Marina Mirage (mind you ever time I drive past for work, it's on the ground...)

Mitch Rogers
AIRMAN

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN »

What frequency are they on?
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

standard air freqs for the area
and the QPS main channel.

has been talked about before in here somewhere.

119.000 MHz
118.700 MHZ
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:What frequency are they on?
Queensland Police are licensed for 119.1 and 131.6 MHz AM. However, that is not of much use, as those frequencies are usually only installed in Incident Command Vehicles, and some major Stations, and of course, Police Air Wing aircraft and facilities. General Duties vehicles don't have Air Band Radios.

The 131.6 MHz frequency is licensed to Police in most Australian States.

The Police Services, and the aviation regulartory authorities, should really give some serious thought to having Polair Callsigns that are "self evident" as to State-of-Origin, just like they do with Fire-bombing aircraft. It would certainly reduce the risk of confusion during "cross-border" operations.

The recent CHOGM meeting in Western Australia must have been interesting, with Polairs from at least three States, in the air over Perth.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

The recent CHOGM meeting in Western Australia must have been interesting, with Polairs from at least three States, in the air over Perth.

Interesting? What a waste of resources. :roll:

I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:

Police on the ground where the action is should have a DIRECT radio link with the helo when dealing with pursuits.
Pumper_50

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 »

Re: Waste of resources comment.
How was it a waste? Privvy to the risk assessments that were done are you? I think that's a bit hard for us to comment on unless we have all the details.

Re: Direct communication comment. They do. They use airband in addition to QPS radio network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pumper_50 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pumper_50

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 »

Comint wrote:
The Police Services, and the aviation regulartory authorities, should really give some serious thought to having Polair Callsigns that are "self evident" as to State-of-Origin, just like they do with Fire-bombing aircraft. It would certainly reduce the risk of confusion during "cross-border" operations.

--
Comint
I actually think it does technically exist already.

That is why here in Victoria we have Pol-Air 30 thru to Pol-Air 35 on airband. They originally came about via what was then CASA. Same with Media.

Many years when I was up in the Melbourne Airport Control Tower they had a list under a clear Perspex sheet stuck on a desk.

One was for TV helo callsigns and the VicPol Pol-Air ones, they also had some ones listed for interstate Pol-Air units. I was told by the staff then each state is supposed to use Pol-Air as a prefix followed by a number that matches their state.

Probably the same old story in that it exists but not practiced due to some not liking to change their habits so it's now become a bit of an unknown.

SteveO

Post by SteveO »

AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
Steve
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

That is an insult... seriously - they will have to keep the chopper going especially since the Commonwealth Games are going to be on the coast.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Pumper_50 wrote:Re: Waste of resources comment.
How was it a waste? Privvy to the risk assessments that were done are you? I think that's a bit hard for us to comment on unless we have all the details.

Re: Direct communication comment. They do. They use airband in addition to QPS radio network.

CHOGM is a monumental waste of taxpayers money IMO. I do not find it hard to comment on that at all.
Not being 'privvy' to 'risk assessments' does not preclude me from expressing an opinion on this forum.

:lol:
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

orangepeel wrote:That is an insult... seriously - they will have to keep the chopper going especially since the Commonwealth Games are going to be on the coast.
I agree absolutely.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I took your comment as meaning that having the Air Wing flying at CHOGM was the waste, not the event itself. I took it that way because the conversation was about Air Wing presence, not perceived waste on holding events such as CHOGM.

I'm not a mind reader and when you don't specify exactly what you think the waste is can you blame me for thinking we're still talking about the topic at hand?

For all you know I may hold similar views on CHOGM however that is not was being discussed.

Sorry for the confusion and you feeling as though you're being censored.
Comint

Post by Comint »

SteveO wrote:
AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
As far as I am aware, the Gold Coast "Police" helicopter is not Queensland Government funded, but instead funded by Gold Coast rate-payers, as our "brain-dead" State Pollies can't see any justification for the Police to have their own helicopters.

--
Comint
Pumper_50

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 »

It's an unusual attitude for them to maintain given what Qld has been through in the last couple of years.

AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Comint wrote:
SteveO wrote:
As far as I am aware, the Gold Coast "Police" helicopter is not Queensland Government funded, but instead funded by Gold Coast rate-payers, as our "brain-dead" State Pollies can't see any justification for the Police to have their own helicopters.

--
Comint
True, very true.

The only thing that the 'brain dead pollies' concern themselves with is how they will fare at the next state election. :lol:
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Comint wrote:
SteveO wrote:

--
Comint
Correct. The QLD Government supplies the police, but the GCCC pays for (through our taxes) the actual chopper.
AIRMAN wrote:True, very true.

The only thing that the 'brain dead pollies' concern themselves with is how they will fare at the next state election. :lol:
But they don't mind their own personal jets...just not a police chopper.
Mitch Rogers
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Just keep all this in mind when casting your vote at the state elections next March :!:

Ditto the Feds as well :roll:
Some of our politicians need what this guy has an abundance of!!! :lol:

image001.jpg
[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.