Scanner Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
rochedalescan
Founder

Scanner Antenna

Post by rochedalescan »

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent scanner antenna, the one I am currently using (Stock Uniden BC346xt) gets really static when I am driving around with it. I can't mount anything perminantly to the car and I still want to be able to carry it around. I am basicly only using the 400-500mhz range.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Scanner Antenna

Post by Stretch »

rochedalescan wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent scanner antenna, the one I am currently using (Stock Uniden BC346xt) gets really static when I am driving around with it. I can't mount anything perminantly to the car and I still want to be able to carry it around. I am basicly only using the 400-500mhz range.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Shane
Shane would a window mount antenna be too permanent??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Scanner Antenna

Post by rochedalescan »

Yeah unfortunately, was going to have a look at the ones that come stock with most of the base antenna's with the little suction cups but its good to be able to take it out of the car aswell. Just after a decent whip type antenna Uniden make crap stock antennas
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Have you thought about one of my antenna splitters?
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

[quote="rochedalescan"]Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Regards Shane[/quote]

check your fitting perhaps if it is becoming static.
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:Have you thought about one of my antenna splitters?
thats what I use, its a nifty idea

+1 from me
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

rochedalescan wrote:Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Regards Shane
Hi Shane,
It may depend on what type of scanning radio you are using. The BNC connection is the usual scanner mount. It is as easy to swap antenna as changing a light bulb. A properly installed external bracket mounted antenna beats everything, however the suction caps with plastic copper wire placed in the upright corner of your car's windscreen would be a second choice for me. They come with the RG coax feeder and BNC connector. You can buy them on Ebay for around $20. A splitter is also a great idea too.
I agree Uniden don't make the best quality antenna. I use a Japanese made Diamond antenna on my Icom which works better than the supplied whip. They make a great range of receiving antenna. Have a look at the range on line.
Steve
gls_triton

Post by gls_triton »

Hi Guys,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought this would be the best topic to post this question into.

I have a Uniden UBC93XLT Scanner, with the stock Uniden Antenna. I was looking at getting an antenna that I will permanently mount on the bull bar of my ute, and will just run the cable through the fire wall and have it sit in the glove box where the Scanner sits when its plugged into the radio via a 3.5mm Audio Socket (Headphone Jack).

Now, I know that when looking for antenna's for a UHF Radio, you need to find one that is ground independent so that the bulbar doesn’t interfere and break the signal. Is this going to be the same with an antenna for a Scanner?

Does anyone see any issues with this setup? I will still have my original antenna with me so I can swap it over if I need to go walking.

Look forward to hearing you suggestions.

Cheers!
Kieran
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

RFI make groundplane independent VHF antennas of various lengths found HERE :mrgreen:

But don't overly dismiss regular mobile antennas, I've had great results with an old UHF Mega Blaster off my bullbar you just need to understand that whilst mounting them off centre of the vehicle alters the radiation pattern they still work fine...
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
bagman002

Post by bagman002 »

I have a 396XT and I have been looking at getting a better antenna. I have a small wip with a magnet base which has helped but it doesn't have a large spectrum range

I want a good portable antenna which is they I have liked the magnet base wip that I have at the moment, as I can sit it by my window in the office and put it on my car when driving.

I have found two antennas that I like but I would like to know if anyone can tell me why there is a $60 price difference between the two.

The first one I found on Gadget City $55 (http://www.gadgetcity.com.au/digital-&- ... e=getprice)

The second one I found on prestige communications $115 (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... ts_id=1335)

I like with the second option that it has the hanger cap
Sold my Uniden 93XLT and now using Uniden 396XT
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I have the second one and they are fantastic. I don't think they are really meant for a mobile install though. Check out ebay aswell if you want to keep the price down a bit http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobile-One-S ... 337d0d5add
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

bagman002

Post by bagman002 »

rochedalescan wrote:I have the second one and they are fantastic. I don't think they are really meant for a mobile install though. Check out ebay aswell if you want to keep the price down a bit http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobile-One-S ... 337d0d5add
I am in out of the car so that's why I don't want a fixed antenna. But I did like the look of the second one, thanks for the link

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Sold my Uniden 93XLT and now using Uniden 396XT
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I guess you could get the one with the screw on base have a permanent install on your car then also buy a run of coax with a connector on the end for use at home then just switch the antenna between the car and home.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Does your magnetic mount have a threaded section suitable for the Mobile-One antenna mentioned previously? if so that's the way I'd go for a portable solution (so long as the magnetic mount is strong enough to remain affixed at driving speeds).

Alternatively... you could fabricate some type of mounting arrangement for the Scanner-Base antenna for your vehicle but cable run and antenna resilience to wind (I've seen 6dB base antennas on cars snap because of wind velocity) will be your primary issues IMHO ;)
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Not really practical for a "go anywhere" antenna James, the OP's original specification was for something he could use in his vehicle AND not be permanent.

Nice find though... I haven't seen an antenna like that for some time...