tap cables

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
transport

tap cables

Post by transport »

is it just as easy to buy a cable from DSE/jaycar or do you need to make it yourself
thanks jason.
bodyguard

Re: tap cables

Post by bodyguard »

what do you mean "tap cables" ?
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Post by Comint »

transport wrote:is it just as easy to buy a cable from DSE/jaycar or do you need to make it yourself
thanks jason.
Assuming you are talking about cables to run between a Discriminator Tap on a scanner, and the Mic-In / Line-In on a computer, it would depend on what socket you installed on the scanner.

If you fitted an RCA or a normal 2.5mm mono or a 3.5mm Stereo socket, then buying is certainly an option. But if you have fitted some obscure connector, then you will have to manufacture your own cables.

FWIW. I normally use 3.5mm Stereo sockets on my Disc Taps (wiring Tip and Sleeve only) and use normal 'off the shelf" one metre 3.5mm Stereo patch leads, as they are the most readily available (getting too lazy to wire my own, and anyway, most bare plugs are of such poor quality that the insulation melts as soon as the soldering iron starts warming up).

--
Comint
transport

Post by transport »

ah ok. Yeah thats what i was talking about and ill give that a go. Thanks for your help
FirstOnScene

Post by FirstOnScene »

There is a guy on Ebay that makes up and sells the Data Decoder Serial cables for $49.00 each plus postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RADIO-DATA-DECOD ... 35b0ecb6cd

I bought some from him and they work great.
Comint

Post by Comint »

FirstOnScene wrote:There is a guy on Ebay that makes up and sells the Data Decoder Serial cables for $49.00 each plus postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RADIO-DATA-DECOD ... 35b0ecb6cd

I bought some from him and they work great.
Yes. He is a member of this Forum. But that type of cable is NOT what the OP was asking about.

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Jaycar sell them 3.5mm male-male mono cables I brought one the other day they start at around 4.95 I think for a 1.2m cable not even worth your time making them anymore when you can pick them up so cheap.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~