Main roads vehicles?

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
Mickyy

Main roads vehicles?

Post by Mickyy »

Hey guys
To start off with, this is a really great site! it a pitty the forums aren't a bit more active.

Now I've seen a couple in the past and hadn't thought anything of it at the time, but driving home from the coast on the bruce highway yesterday, i passed a couple of main roads cars (i presume) doing some work on the opposite of the highway.

On the approach, they had the usual amber and white led light bar, however when i passed them and looked into my rear vision mirror, the complete rear of the light bar and around the bear bumper were flashing red led strobes only. Is this new? or are all council and government type cars switching to red leds? i thought only rural fire/mine rescue/blood transport vehicles were permitted to use red.

I dont suppose anybody has any pictures or video of this lightbar by any chance?

Cheers guys,
Mick.
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Main roads vehicles?

Post by rochedalescan »

I was under the impression no one was allowed to use red or blue LED's apart from emergency services there was a topic somewhere on here about it i'll see if I can dig it up there is also a picture of those vehicles somewhere.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

In regards to LED's have a look here http://www.aussiescanners.com/forum/vie ... t=red+blue
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Mickyy

Post by Mickyy »

yeh thanks shane

pictures would be great, and i guess it poses the question 'why do they have them?' considering that even the ses are resctricted to amber, and qld transport can only use magenta. These roadtek guys looked like the were picking up rubbish and whipper-snipping
Mickyy

Post by Mickyy »

Thanks scott
i dont think that the red are supposed to be tail lights though, it is a proper rear facing red led light bar.

whats this with customers thinking that transport inspectors are ambulances? dont they have purple/magenta lights?

do you know where i could find some pictures or videos of transport inspector vehicles?

Cheers.
Mick
eggcarton

Post by eggcarton »

I have seen the vehicle you were talking about. I was wondering about this aswell, because from a distance I thought it was an emergency vehicle. It just had one section on the back that was red and the rest was amber. I thought that maybe because it was rear-facing it may be alright.

This is from that same document from the topic rochedalescan linked to
(5) A vehicle, other than an exempt vehicle, must not be fitted with a
light or reflector that—
(a) shows a red light to the front; or
(b) shows a white light to the rear; or
I have also seen a private paramedic with red, green and amber lights :!: I hope he/she has permission because they face both to the front and rear (they are halogen).