Digital scanner ...

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Doogs38

Digital scanner ...

Post by Doogs38 »

Hi. I'm currently looking at upgrading my HH scanner. It's analog and I currently use it to listen to the Ipswich QPS, QAS, fire, aviation and some trunking when I can actually receive it ... great that these things have remained analog in my area (at least for now). However, with the slow but inevitable migration towards digital modulation for just about everything except aviation, I'm starting to consider the need for 'future proofing' my next upgrade, ie. biting the bullet and ponying up for a digital scanner. However, digital scanners are substantially more expensive than good analog scanners like the GRE-300 or BCD346XT :(

My question is: is buying a digital scanner a sensible thing to do at this stage considering where I live and the things I enjoy listening to? I appreciate that this is a decision for me alone, however, it's soooo hard to find any info on the timings of future digital system roll-outs, and where they'll be located. Any info/guidance would be appreciated. Alex
-----------
Alex www.pbase.com/doogs38
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: Digital scanner ...

Post by Stretch »

My answer is no. Even if say the police go digital, theres still plenty too listen to. I bought a digital scanner only coz when I travel to sydney it makes monitoring the GRN a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents
Mitch Rogers
Doogs38

Post by Doogs38 »

Hi Stretch and thanks for the reply. It reminded me that I do travel around the east and south coast of Oz a few times a year, and that listening to the SA GRN and NSW GRN are things that I do when visiting...
Last edited by Doogs38 on Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

I bought a UBCD996T and so far I havent tested it on the GRN but it got reccommended as being brilliant for the GRN and I saw one really cheap so I bought it.
Mitch Rogers
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

I bought one in case other users go digital in the future and I got it at a good price. I wasn't going to pay the RRP that they wanted for one.
Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

Alex

Probably by the time you actually need digital, there will be better scanners on the market. The Queensland Government has 'pie in the sky' ideas of going digital trunking for ALL the Emergency Services, along the lines of Victoria's MMR, but that's 'just talk' at the moment. Probably by the time anything eventuates in that area, technology will have advanced to APCO25 phase II, and there is currently no scanner available to monitor that technology.

Likewise, Motorola's MOTOTRBO is gaining popularity in Commercial circles, and there is no scanner to monitor that. And the European Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) Standard also fits into this category (MOTOTRBO is based on DMR).

And of course, there is no scanner capable of monitoring TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio), which has a strong presence in the Brisbane and surrounding areas, in the guise of Motorola's Zeon Digital Network, which has the Brisbane City Council as a major user.

--
Comint
Doogs38

Post by Doogs38 »

Thanks Comint, I appreciated the feedback. I'm amusing myself by how much indecision I have on making the simple decision(!) to stay analog or go digital. There are a number of excellent analog scanners ranging from the ICOM RX7 to the GRE/RS and Uniden scanners. The same again for digital scanners. Not having looked at scanners for a while, I feel spoilt for choice. Like all these things, it will ultimately boil down to $$$, and it seems like it's cheaper to import a new scanner from the US than to buy new in Oz. My research continues...
-----------
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah go digital, I run a 996T, 396T, Pro96 and they all go great on Digital! There is heaps to listen too!

I have a Pro96 digital P25 new for 300 bucks if you want one!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

jaskel wrote:yeah go digital, I run a 996T, 396T, Pro96 and they all go great on Digital! There is heaps to listen too!

I have a Pro96 digital P25 new for 300 bucks if you want one!
Not in Brisbane, theres not a lot to listen to on digital, everything is analogue up this way Jas, its not as advanced as our southern cousins

My money would be staying on analogue as Commint has mentioned and he as his finger on the pulse of whats happening here in QLD
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

but thats the thing, most is not digital here but the digital scanner obviously receives analogue as well, so as more and more goes digital u are ready ;)

Hey BG, are u banned from the hitler club over there yet?? those guys are a joke!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

jaskel wrote:but thats the thing, most is not digital here but the digital scanner obviously receives analogue as well, so as more and more goes digital u are ready ;)

Hey BG, are u banned from the hitler club over there yet?? those guys are a joke!
but buying analogue scanner is way cheaper than a digital scanner, so in the short term I personally would go analogue.

Nah not banned yet
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

i got a brand new digital scanner for 300 bucks ;) anyone want it!
Doogs38

Post by Doogs38 »

I just bought a brand new UBCD396T from Dick Smith for $370!!!! Whooohooooo :-) They're are listed as 'quit stock' and DSE are almost throwing them out. I'll start a separate thread in the 'classifieds' forum and explain there. Alex
-----------
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

jaskel wrote:i got a brand new digital scanner for 300 bucks ;) anyone want it!
What is it Jas.

And I havent been banned over there yet you must have rubbed someone up the wrong way.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

all I did was advertised a scanner for sale and they didnt like it..then i offered to host his server as he was having trouble with his current host, he took it that I wanted to take over his s*itbox forum..lol what a bunch of tool! Like mini hitlers!

Anyway it is a DSE Pro96...
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

Pro96 or DTS96 Jaskel
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

DSE=Realistic I think basically its the Dickies Model.
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

will give it a miss thanks Jaskel cant be bothered with the programing BS thanks anyway mate.
Last edited by Phil on Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix of spelling
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

lol yeah i much prefer the Uniden style of programming...but the Pro96 was cheap so ill use it in the car etc...

Actually wasnt it you that emailed admin to have me banned from over there?? or am i mistaken?
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

No I suggested in the thread that a Mod should ban you for continuing to talk about doing illegal mods in an open thread would not have been a problem in premium thread.
Last edited by Phil on Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix of Spelling