HF Radio To Start Out With

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Stretch
Forum Manager

HF Radio To Start Out With

Post by Stretch »

I've been seeing all these posts about HF radio and everyone seems to be getting excited about HF radio.

What I want to know (coz I have no idea at all about it) is whats a decent HF radio and what sort of antenna do I need etc so start off. I only want something basic.

Hoping someone can help me out :)
Mitch Rogers
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: HF Radio To Start Out With

Post by Phantom »

I take u want a radio just to listen with??

Do u have any intention of TX on the HF side of things??
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

No not at the moment. Purely RX
Mitch Rogers
carmelof

Post by carmelof »

What sort of radio do u want homebase or portable most important thing on hf is if u dont have the right antenna you will end up with more hiss then audio signal & what can u afford.

Regards Lino.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Home. I did get suggested a DE1103 which looks pretty good. With regards to cost, well I would save up if necessary.
Mitch Rogers
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Stretch wrote:I've been seeing all these posts about HF radio and everyone seems to be getting excited about HF radio.

What I want to know (coz I have no idea at all about it) is whats a decent HF radio and what sort of antenna do I need etc so start off. I only want something basic.

Hoping someone can help me out :)
Hi Stretch

First of all you might find this helpful:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/shortwave.htm

You only need a beginners type HF or shortwave receiver. No need to go looking at Icom or Yaesu receivers as they are very expensive and you may end up not liking listening to SW. It requires a lot of patience especially with tuning. Voice traffic is nowhere near as busy as UHF. Best time is after dark as the signals carry further and clearer.

I have just bought a DEGEN 1103 as I did my research and looked at reviews and this little radio is a good performer for its money. Not only is it good on SSB, it is great for broadcast stations at night on AM. I am able to receive lots of stations interstate from my home here in SEQLD. This radio has 268 memories, so there's plenty of space for all your favorite stations.

Look at this - Australian Radio stations:
http://www.ausradiostations.com/

Here's where i bought mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shortwave-AM-FM- ... 563adc0583

For less than AU$80 incl shipping, its a bargain.

If you want to get into listening for HF SSB stuff like long distance aviation, you will need at least a wire antenna. This radio I have comes with one which improves reception. The longer the wire the better, then you may need a balun. Some use a vertical, some use a loop and it doesn't stop there LOL.

I wouldn't recommend buying a second hand SW Radio unless you can trust the seller.

Cheers
Airman
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Stretch, look on ebay for Sony's ICF-XXX (replace XXX with model no.) range of portable SW radios. I had one years ago and it was good enough to decode weather fax with. I had a fairly long outdoor antenna though.
Even an ancient old Yaesu FRG-7 would be much better than most 'cheapie' portables.

Airman, I'm not having a go at you (in regards to the Degen) :wink:

The key ingredient to good reception is a decent antenna.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

Got a DX-394 receiver years ago off Ebay, great little receiver. Always respected on the forums. I think it is 10 years old now from when they were first made.

once again it depends on what you buy as what you want to spend.

Paul.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I just want to emphasis that you may well find a really good second hand radio on Ebay or anywhere else provided that you can TRUST THE SELLER :!:

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I will personally never buy pre-owned electronic equipment without seeing it and testing it myself. I have learned my lesson thanks. There's not many things worse that shelling out your hard earned cash to find you have been defrauded.