VKR Toowoomba radio procedure

AIRMAN

VKR Toowoomba radio procedure

Post by AIRMAN »

VKR Toowoomba don't need encryption. I decided to tune into the action one recent Saturday night for a brief spell and had to move on to more interesting listening.
Most of their radio dispatchers are using a language which I call mumblespeak. One female dispatcher was complained about by crews as she was so soft spoken. Use of terms like 'No worries' No dramas' and 'Yeah No' leave me wondering what sort of training they have prior to stepping into the control room! :sc
SteveNSWP

Re: VKR Toowoomba radio procedure

Post by SteveNSWP »

To answer your question, u will typically find that hey quieter the channel the more relaxed and informal the opertaors and dispatchers. I am an NSW Copper and have mant friends in the Comms Centre next door to us. We are a busy command that operates on the same channel as a neigbouring command which is just as busy. Because everyone fights for airspace, crews and dispatchers find little time for the niceties and stray comments. They deal with one vehicles request quickly and promptly and move on to the next. There's no time for please and thanks you's and hang on a tick. It affirmative, negative, copy, confirm, unit calling and very quick specific speech so as not to much around or chew up airtime. You find the operators on busy channels are direct because they too are stressed and want things to move along quickly.

In country areas of NSW, it is much like Toowoomba because the operators are bored and actually appreciate it when units make requests so that they have something to do. They arent as stressed or stressed or airspace. They also like to joke and laugh to kill the bordem which isnt experienced on busier channels. Not very professional I agree but its the way it is. I imagine QLD is much the same.

Clarity of voice is a big issue, as being clear and concise is a requirement of their job, unfortunately we have one at our comms centre who we have nicknamed 'the mumbler' or more popular is 'Peter Harvey' because that is who he sounds like. He is the only one none of us like because he is slow, says um all the time and u cant hear him. Fortunately because our comm centres are large some centre have between 4 and 10 rdio channels, so u only get him every so often. It is frustrating listening to that for 12 hours believe me.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

SteveNSWP wrote:To answer your question, u will typically find that hey quieter the channel the more relaxed and informal the opertaors and dispatchers. I am an NSW Copper and have mant friends in the Comms Centre next door to us. We are a busy command that operates on the same channel as a neigbouring command which is just as busy. Because everyone fights for airspace, crews and dispatchers find little time for the niceties and stray comments. They deal with one vehicles request quickly and promptly and move on to the next. There's no time for please and thanks you's and hang on a tick. It affirmative, negative, copy, confirm, unit calling and very quick specific speech so as not to much around or chew up airtime. You find the operators on busy channels are direct because they too are stressed and want things to move along quickly.

In country areas of NSW, it is much like Toowoomba because the operators are bored and actually appreciate it when units make requests so that they have something to do. They arent as stressed or stressed or airspace. They also like to joke and laugh to kill the bordem which isnt experienced on busier channels. Not very professional I agree but its the way it is. I imagine QLD is much the same.

Clarity of voice is a big issue, as being clear and concise is a requirement of their job, unfortunately we have one at our comms centre who we have nicknamed 'the mumbler' or more popular is 'Peter Harvey' because that is who he sounds like. He is the only one none of us like because he is slow, says um all the time and u cant hear him. Fortunately because our comm centres are large some centre have between 4 and 10 rdio channels, so u only get him every so often. It is frustrating listening to that for 12 hours believe me.
Interesting post officer. :)

Toowoomba can get very busy, usually weekend nights. The 'mumblers' are not any different then and the sloppy procedures don't go away with some! :lol:

Glad I am not really into monitoring VKG, I prefer the Aviation frequencies. I can switch over anytime, but the cops here are stuck with dealing with noisy resident complaints and people who can't hold their drink.

I love a beer or a Gin and Tonic as much as the next man, but this Bundy business up here must make everyone fight :sc
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Operators recieve on the job training. Generally district communication centres like Toowoomba, Bundaberg and Maryborough (smaller places) are a lot more relaxed as they personally know the police officers. Places like Gold Coast, Logan, Brisbane and Maroochydore have a more strict radio enviroment.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

crimestopper wrote:You guys should hear Brisbane Central District on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. Gets very busy and very interesting. Worst thing is when an operator says "all units standby unless urgent" and about 4 or 5 units yell "urgent" into their radios. Even with seperate channels for the valley and spring hill (the city), it's just ridiculous.
We had that down here once but it was only two units and the operator was kinda stumped what to do :lol:
Mitch Rogers
Interceptor12
Newly Registered Users

Post by Interceptor12 »

Hmm, I wonder how many noise complaints go through each night on average for a particular area, it must tie up a hell of a lot of police time.

When I was in New Zealand, I was working as a security guard, and the noise complaints were directed through the city council, and were under the Resource Management Act 1991. The council contracted out a security company to go respsond to the noise complaints, make an assessment, and if it was too loud serve a noise direction notice to the occupants. If a second complaint was recieved, and it was too loud it was at the discretion of the noise control officer to call for police backup and execute a seize.

Though New Zealand had a really bad system for doing this.. I was going around to large parties and gang houses, by myself at 19 years old, unarmed and most the time without even a radio. Diplomacy certainly proved to be useful, however the risk was certainly still there.

In just the Central Wellington area, there were normally 60 complaints on a friday night, each of those had a contracted 30min response time.
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Daniel wrote:Operators recieve on the job training. Generally district communication centres like Toowoomba, Bundaberg and Maryborough (smaller places) are a lot more relaxed as they personally know the police officers. Places like Gold Coast, Logan, Brisbane and Maroochydore have a more strict radio enviroment.

Cheers,
Daniel
Gold Coast Comms can very dependant on alot of things. One of the major factors in the matter as stated above is the level of activity on comms (say if its a friday night in surfers paradise) and can also come down to something as simple as if the COMMSOP knows the Crew. Alot of the time though its alot more casual when using the mobiles (used UHF is unreadable.) Brisbane South (Sierra Units) are quite casual on comms as not a lot of activity and they are on digital also.

Be all and end all comes down to a shit load of factors and whos listening to comms at the time.

Hope this helps a litlte
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

I get a bit of a laugh when listening to Logan comms, they make some good jokes evey now n again.
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

One of my mates (usually Charlie 270 or 271) Will crack a few on Logan VKR every now and again.
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

have a listen to Ipswich after 10pm any night and on saturday jokes galore good to have a listen to
dags

Post by dags »

there is an operator on beenleigh comms with a scottish accent(well it sounds something like that)he is pretty funny better then a comedy show i piss myself laughing sometimes
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

Yer I know him and the older sounding woman is funny to
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

dags wrote:there is an operator on beenleigh comms with a scottish accent(well it sounds something like that)he is pretty funny better then a comedy show i piss myself laughing sometimes
Yeah I know the one always good to listen when he's on... :D
"YOUNGN"
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

That lady is on now but it sounds like she aint had a root for ages lol