Newbie port Macquarie nsw

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
blacktown
Forum Manager

Re: Newbie port Macquarie nsw

Post by blacktown »

Whoops ... misread what scanner you had.
You should have no problems locally in Port with a 396.
You maybe be in a bad location but one of those police frequencies should boom in
Have you used the custom search function (low 467.8500 high 469.4250)?
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

Just tried that, nothing is coming up:(
i do live in the middle of town with a stock aerial, would that make it bad enough to not hear anything?
I have no idea the range to the nearest tower etc
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

You should be hearing at least 468.8375 off Transit Hill .... that site has a commanding position in all directions around Port Macquarie. The old 396's from several years ago were quite deaf (ie needed a good external antenna) but the updated versions are much better
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

Just put the scanner on hold on that frequency, getting constant fuzz with pauses inbetween transmissions, set the squelch around it and can't pick anything up out of it:(
Just looked it up and im only a few kilometres from Transit Hill...
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

Here is a screenshot of my scanner set-up.
In the group Hastings i have entered all the Police and RFS frequencies manually for the local services i want to hear instead of pulling them off radio reference, plus i have them off radio reference in the other groups there.
Is there anything wrong you can see with the settings for Police i have here to prevent me from hearing the Port Macquarie Police?
Im a member of a local RFS brigade here and would love to be able to hear the Hastings PMR for call-outs but i don't seem to be able to hear that in Port Macquarie either, the Fire Control Centre is only out at Wauchope so i don't know why its not working:(
I occasionally get East Region Ops 116 which is in Liverpool Sydney, but havent heard anything from the Hastings one?

blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

I am not a programming expert, so you will need to ask others.
My 396 was programmed by somebody else
I am old school when it comes to programming unfortunately .... channels and banks instead of the modern dynamic programming
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

Any idea of where i should put this post for answers? Im new to this aswell and have no idea haha
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

I would delete that MOT2 system and create a new one with the same frequencies but just leave it as 'conventional'. The scanner will automatically decode any P25 stuff it comes across.
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

Just tried that, have the scanner on the Transit Hill Freq hoping for Police, keep receiving stuff but its all fuzz, is it possible they have gone encrypted?
Cheers.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Extremely unlikely ..... November and Oscar coming through on the RR broadcast site clear as a bell
If it was encrypted the audio goes to mute and flashes ENC (I live in Sydney which is permanently encrypted for police transmissions)
By the way Port Mac was in the clear about 4-5 weeks ago
Somewhere in your settings the scanner is treating the signal as analog instead of P25
smithy658

Post by smithy658 »

Hi mate ive got a ubcd396xt in shelly beach and I pick up transit hill police,fire,ambos tower fine all over port,
rfs is pretty how you going since they dont have a transmitter in the middle of town that im aware I can send u a copy of my freescan system if you like
cheers
Jacob
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

BTW
This morning, I was scanning while Oscar and Papa were seperated.
Received some Mid Coast stuff on 78.300. Pretty bad reception. Mostly Grafton and Coffs Harbour.
AND there was nothing South of Coffs.
Maybe Bellingen.
I couldn't hang around to see if anything from Kempsey came up.
But there was enough time to hear any Port traffic. That is a very busy area. Tends to dominate when the channels are combined.
Kinda knocks my theory that the Port bloke might find an analog link to the North.
wombataaron

Post by wombataaron »

smithy658 wrote:Hi mate ive got a ubcd396xt in shelly beach and I pick up transit hill police,fire,ambos tower fine all over port,
rfs is pretty how you going since they dont have a transmitter in the middle of town that im aware I can send u a copy of my freescan system if you like
cheers
Jacob
That would be awesome Smithy, i have PM'ed you.
I mainly bought the scanner to pick up the Hastings RFS PMR so i can listen for callout activity, quite annoyed if the reception on it isn't that great, they only trasmit out of the FCC from Wauchope/ Taree depending on staffing levels:(
Cheers.