Digital scanner ...

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
jaskel

Re: Digital scanner ...

Post by jaskel »

wow the president of good behavior himself eh,....every other forum seems to not have a problem about it...should I have also mentioned my radio was a USA import and comes std with this mod without needing to do anything to it...so really nothing illegal done. What happened to the old days where people minded their own business.

remember the old saying.....what goes around....................................................................
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

Year but there is enough out in the open on this forum that if someone was p!ssed with us here they could almost get us shut down.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Not really. Provide some examples, everything here is for educational purposes only and nothing has been obtained or provided that is illegal.

So your saying that if I was to post something on Aurf (If my account wasn't banned because I own this forum) that was illegal I would be banned and/or deleted but if I was to pay premium and post something illegal in a premium section that would be all sweet ? I think they have some serious problems over there.

Just another case of website politics, I'm not getting involved in the problems AURF have. They're digging their own hole. I have offered my help once before and it was rudely declined.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

rochedalescan wrote:Not really. Provide some examples, everything here is for educational purposes only and nothing has been obtained or provided that is illegal.

So your saying that if I was to post something on Aurf (If my account wasn't banned because I own this forum) that was illegal I would be banned and/or deleted but if I was to pay premium and post something illegal in a premium section that would be all sweet ? I think they have some serious problems over there.

Just another case of website politics, I'm not getting involved in the problems AURF have. They're digging their own hole. I have offered my help once before and it was rudely declined.

Well said Shane..you are right, people are not going onto AURF and ive seen many come and go within a week, simply fed up with the ridiculous rules!

I guess they forgot about the hobby and only went after the mighty dollar! ive seen many of those forum...go down very quickly!

Im glad aussie scanners is all about the hobby and not just making a buck! good work mate!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

On ya Shane :)
Mitch Rogers
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Who gives a sh.t......
Secret Scanner

Post by Secret Scanner »

bonnie28 wrote:Who gives a sh.t......
Thats what I was thinking
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Guys - let's get this thread back on topic please
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

consider it done my good man!
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Just my quick quick input
Secret Scanner wrote:No I suggested in the thread that a Mod should ban you for continuing to talk about doing illegal mods in an open thread would not have been a problem in premium thread.
Not that it should have been a problem in an open thread to start with.

But yeah, lets try back on topic now :)
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Doogs38 wrote:Hi. I'm currently looking at upgrading my HH scanner. It's analog and I currently use it to listen to the Ipswich QPS, QAS, fire, aviation and some trunking when I can actually receive it ... great that these things have remained analog in my area (at least for now). However, with the slow but inevitable migration towards digital modulation for just about everything except aviation, I'm starting to consider the need for 'future proofing' my next upgrade, ie. biting the bullet and ponying up for a digital scanner. However, digital scanners are substantially more expensive than good analog scanners like the GRE-300 or BCD346XT :(

My question is: is buying a digital scanner a sensible thing to do at this stage considering where I live and the things I enjoy listening to? I appreciate that this is a decision for me alone, however, it's soooo hard to find any info on the timings of future digital system roll-outs, and where they'll be located. Any info/guidance would be appreciated. Alex
Alex,

Mate getting back to the subject, mate I would go for a Digital model, either Australian or a US GRE or Uniden Model id you want something a little more updated.

You have already stated in reply to other post in this thread that you frequently venture into NSW and other Eastern States, well as has been stated the NSW GRN has been undergoing a upgrade to P25 Digital for the past 7 months with July being given as the Start of the Change Over for GRN Users.

Also many of the NSW Government Departments are well into planning for their Country PMR Networks to be upgraded to P25 Digital in the next couple of years, NSWFB seeking funding now to change over their Country PMR to P25 Digital.

Scanner wise, I have a UBCD996T interfaced with a GPS Receiver, works great with GRN Sites while travelling around, and even thou I am based in Sydney I travel up to the North West Qld Boarder and down to the Vic boarder regularly to visit family a couple times a year, the reason why I went for the GPS Enabled 996T.
Grant (JAFO)
VK2FGQ
Penrith NSW
Radio Gear:
Home UBC780XLT, Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-7100.
Mobile: UBCD536-PT, Yeasu FTN-200 Fusion, AnyTone D578UV DMR, Icom IC-7100HF, Codan 9350ATU, AnyTone D878UV DMR HH,
Doogs38

Post by Doogs38 »

Thanks JAFO. After looking at both Aus and US scanners, I ended up purchasing a UBCD396T for a great price from DSE...refer to this thread http://www.aussiescanners.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3498. The key thing for me was the odd bit of travelling I do. While a lot of comms is still analog here in QLD, the other areas I travel to are gradually switching to digital, as you've pointed out.

A sincere 'thank you' to those folk who proffered their wisdom and great advice. It all helped me make my decision to buy a digital scanner, and a Uniden at that - I'm on a learning curve! Thanks again. Alex
-----------
Alex www.pbase.com/doogs38
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Always ready to help :)
Mitch Rogers
UHF-HUNTER

Post by UHF-HUNTER »

I just picked up a ubcd996T brand new from DS for $300
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

UHF-HUNTER wrote:I just picked up a ubcd996T brand new from DS for $300
Yeah I got mine from DSE for 275. They're almost throwing them out
Mitch Rogers
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

Doogs38 wrote:Thanks JAFO. After looking at both Aus and US scanners, I ended up purchasing a UBCD396T for a great price from DSE...refer to this thread http://www.aussiescanners.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3498. The key thing for me was the odd bit of travelling I do. While a lot of comms is still analog here in QLD, the other areas I travel to are gradually switching to digital, as you've pointed out.

A sincere 'thank you' to those folk who proffered their wisdom and great advice. It all helped me make my decision to buy a digital scanner, and a Uniden at that - I'm on a learning curve! Thanks again. Alex
good stuff, have u got your head around the programming yet?? grab a copy of Proscan, ive tried heaps of software but Proscan was the easiest to manage my 996 and 396 by far!

If u need help just holla!
zeuse
Newly Registered Users

Post by zeuse »

Hi Guys

I'm new to this site. I haven't been scanning for many years, but am aching to get back into it.

Could I please get some advice on what scanner I should buy.

I'm on the Gold Coast and like to listen to QPS, QAS and QFS.

jaskel says the digital scanner receives analogue as well. Which scanners can do this?

And just so you know how ignorant I am, what is CRN?

(And I'm a 'girl' so be nice) :D
Comint

Post by Comint »

zeuse wrote:And just so you know how ignorant I am, what is CRN?
Welcome to AussieScanners.

I assume you mean the NSW GRN. The GRN is the New South Wales Government Radio Network, which is a Motorola Smartnet/Omnilink Trunked Radio System covering about one-third of New South Wales.

Which means you also need a scanner capable of Trunk Tracking, if you want to monitor such a system.

The 396/996 scanners mentioned by jaskel will monitor analogue and digital, as well as TrunkTrack Motorola, EDACS, and LTR Trunked Radio systems. However, manufacture of both models ceased in June/July 2009 and they are now very hard to come by.

--
Comint
zeuse
Newly Registered Users

Post by zeuse »

Thanks for that. Now I have a new question. If I buy a scanner from the US, can I use it here?

Thanks again.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

why buy from the USA when you can buy one from me ;)

The pro96 i have will get both Digital P25 and Analogue!

Most scanners from the USA have massive freq chucks blocked like the 800mhz bands....you would be better off getting a local unit.

Let me know as I have one brand new for a good price!