QFRS Turnout

bonnie28

Re: QFRS Turnout

Post by bonnie28 »

I can confirm for you that no of those turn out channels are for my area. I live up high on a hill and pick up just about everything there is to offer with in range. Some of the turn outs above are for firecom Brisbane.
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

I did notice at beenleigh station that there yagi's are facing towards brisbane or mount cotton. I thought firecom south east is at southport. So if all there aerials are facing that way where does the signal come from ?
Comint

Post by Comint »

bonnie28 wrote:I can confirm for you that no of those turn out channels are for my area. I live up high on a hill and pick up just about everything there is to offer with in range. Some of the turn outs above are for firecom Brisbane.
Bear in mind that most of the turn-out frequencies are only 5 Watts, which is considerably less than the 50W used for the Voice channels.

Going by my calculations, Mt Warren Park is about 13K from Mt Cotton, so it would be a bit of a stretch to receive the turnout frequency on an omni antenna - thats why the stations use yagis.

--
Comint
Last edited by Comint on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Comint

Post by Comint »

bonnie28 wrote:I did notice at beenleigh station that there yagi's are facing towards brisbane or mount cotton. I thought firecom south east is at southport. So if all there aerials are facing that way where does the signal come from ?
Each QFRS Comcentre controls a number of Repeaters, spread over large areas, and these may be linked via landline, microwave, or UHF Point-to-Point or Point-to-Multipoint circuits. FireCom SE controls Repeaters west to Helidon (Mt Perseverance), and north to Toogoolawah, so just because FireCom SE is in Southport, doesn't mean that all the antennas have to point towards Southport.

--
Comint
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Very well said comint. Trust me If beenleigh station can get it I can get it. From my back yard I have perfect view of Mount Cotton and beenleigh station, I live high on a hill looking east and north. Any idea what freq's to scan to look for them. I can hear them vitualy any way within 8-10klm on there hand helds (5watters) no worries at all. Would the freq be on AMCA somewhere,
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

hmm you have seen roughly what freqs the others are on, try using the scanner and scan for them
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Post by Comint »

bonnie28 wrote:Would the freq be on AMCA somewhere,
Should be. Assuming they are even turned out via a turnout frequency, rather than some other means.

--
Comint
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Comint wrote:Bear in mind that most of the turn-out frequencies are only 5 Watts, which is considerably less than the 50W used for the Voice channels.
Why is that??
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

Stretch wrote:
Comint wrote:Bear in mind that most of the turn-out frequencies are only 5 Watts, which is considerably less than the 50W used for the Voice channels.
Why is that??
Probably because the Voice channels are to mobiles, which travel amongst obstructions such as tall buildings and trees, etc., whereas Turn Outs are to fixed locations, where they can plan on having an unobstructed path, and can also rely on directional antennas.

--
Comint
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

True.

Thanks Comint.
Mitch Rogers
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Have you got any contacts Comint that could find out these other means of turnout channels, Actual facts.
Comint

Post by Comint »

bonnie28 wrote:Have you got any contacts Comint that could find out these other means of turnout channels, Actual facts.
No.

But consider:-

Voice channels
Pager
Landline

although I doubt too many Stations still use the last one.

~~~~~~

Edit: Have a listen on 413.5500 / 404.1000. You MIGHT hear something here, but it is a 1watt directional link between Mt Cotton and Southport.

--
Comint
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Comint wrote: Landline

although I doubt too many Stations still use the last one.
Stations 01 and 02 use landlines I've been told.

Oh and on a seperate note Ben, Firecom South West turn appliances out over the main firecom channel :)
Mitch Rogers
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

No worries I will plug them in to the scanner. I noticed that 35 station have 4 yagis all facing at mount cotton, When joining the yagis together does that give you further distance when talking. And Y would they be punching out a wooping 1 watt, Seems pointless.
OIC_Napster

Post by OIC_Napster »

Afernoon all,

anyone had any luck with turnout freq;s up on the sunshine coast?

or know of any freqs i can try?

i did see a freq 404.2750 which is listed as Kawana Fire Station so unsure what that one is, it says its a Transmit one so meh

Cheers in advance

Matt
Comint

Post by Comint »

OIC_Napster wrote:Afernoon all,

anyone had any luck with turnout freq;s up on the sunshine coast?

or know of any freqs i can try?

i did see a freq 404.2750 which is listed as Kawana Fire Station so unsure what that one is, it says its a Transmit one so meh

Cheers in advance

Matt
404 / 413 Mhz frequencies are usually Links.

--
Comint
OIC_Napster

Post by OIC_Napster »

Meaning?
rossmutz

Post by rossmutz »

Turnout transmissions are very low power and point to point via directional antennas. Why the directional low power? Because no one needs to hear the transmission except the stations concerned. They don't design the system for scanner users.

If you are off the path between the station and the transmitter its unlikly you would hear anything.

Turnouts might also be via VOIP or microwave.
rossmutz

Post by rossmutz »

bonnie28 wrote:No worries I will plug them in to the scanner. I noticed that 35 station have 4 yagis all facing at mount cotton, When joining the yagis together does that give you further distance when talking. And Y would they be punching out a wooping 1 watt, Seems pointless.
Phased yagis will give greater gain (=distance) and a narrower transmission which makes it even harder to receive if you are not in line.

Also, why use more than 1 watt when combined with efficient antennas gives them a clear signal.
velzor
Newly Registered Users

Post by velzor »

H, Can anyone assist me with getting any northside fire turn out channels programmed into a unit? ie: windsor, eatons hill, chermside etc

Thanks