SHORTWAVE RADIO REPAIR

New forum added due to popular demand, discuss all facets of shortwave radio (long distance transmission) here
AIRMAN

SHORTWAVE RADIO REPAIR

Post by AIRMAN »

Hi Guys,
My Sangean SW radio has gone dead after 9 years of faithful service. It normally runs from 4 X AA batteries or the supplied mains plug. Neither work. Just died suddenly, no flash or pop, just silent.

It's a great radio with ADS, SM and SSB.

Does anyone know of someone who could get it going again? It's probably something like a blown transistor.

I am thinking of a repair shop or some wizz kid here with electronics experience.

Anyone here have any knowledge or knows of a repair place, I would be grateful.

Cheers
Steve
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: SHORTWAVE RADIO REPAIR

Post by rochedalescan »

AIRMAN wrote:Hi Guys,
My Sangean SW radio has gone dead after 9 years of faithful service. It normally runs from 4 X AA batteries or the supplied mains plug. Neither work. Just died suddenly, no flash or pop, just silent.

Does anyone know of someone who could get it going again? It's probably something like a blown transistor.

I am thinking of a repair shop or some wizz kid here with electronics experience.

Cheers
Steve
Good luck finding a reapairer, if you cant find someone on here try some radio clubs or something they would probably know a thing or two, is it lighting up at all ? or just completely dead.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Haha I'd take a look at it for you... but your too far away for me to get to on bike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah im sure its something simple, if its survived for 9 years, I would think it wouldn't just suddenly stop, more like slowly die down. Have you had a look inside yourself? Could be something simple, or as you say somethin like on the PCB itself.

Hope to try and get this Radio working for you again... sounds like a nice piece of equipment.

---
Youngn
"YOUNGN"
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Rochedalescan wrote:Good luck finding a reapairer, if you cant find someone on here try some radio clubs or something they would probably know a thing or two, is it lighting up at all ? or just completely dead.

Just kaput....dead. Maybe a roach or something fried the PCB. :lol:

I'll ask around. It's too good to throw away.

Cheers

Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

Cheers
Steve
With the cost of labour at least $50.00 plus per hour, most places would class something that old as 'un economical to repair'.

As a first choice, I would have recommended Simtronics at the High Street Plaza, but unfortunately he closed up shop earlier this year. Another possibility is Vidcam in the Hooper Centre in Hume Street.

It would probably help if you at least have a copy of the circuit diagram.

What model SANGEAN is it. I think there is more than one.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

As a first choice, I would have recommended Simtronics at the High Street Plaza, but unfortunately he closed up shop earlier this year. Another possibility is Vidcam in the Hooper Centre in Hume Street.

--
Comint[/quote]

Yes I guess $50 per hour is a bit steep, but it's still cheaper than buying another world band radio. Thanks for the info, I will try the Vidcam shop, but I won't hold my breath.

The model is SANGEAN ATS 909 and I still have the operating instructions, but no circuit diagram.

Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:
The model is SANGEAN ATS 909 and I still have the operating instructions, but no circuit diagram.

Steve
Try www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=27634 for Part1.rar, and www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=27635 for Part2.rar

NOTE: Both parts have to be downloaded, and in the same folder, before you try and unarchive them. It produces a Service Manual in PDF format.

--
Comint
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

i have the service manual for the ATS 909 in pdf if you are interested
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Comint wrote:

Cheers
Steve
With the cost of labour at least $50.00 plus per hour, most places would class something that old as 'un economical to repair'.

--
Comint

Yeah I purchased an old UH050XR awhile ago for $20 which didn't work. I thought I would be able to get it going again because its an excellent radio, better than some of the newer 5watt radios.

I sent it to Uniden in Sydney, and they sent a report back saying it would not be economical to reapair, as there were too many things wrong with it :(
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

scrawn80 wrote:i have the service manual for the ATS 909 in pdf if you are interested
If it includes the circuit schematic of the PCB I would definately be interested mate. Maybe you could PM me what you might want for it?

Cheers,
Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote: If it includes the circuit schematic of the PCB I would definately be interested mate. Maybe you could PM me what you might want for it?

Cheers,
Steve
The two links I posted above, will give you the ATS 909 Service Manual in PDF format - including the circuit diagram - and it will only cost you the download time.

--
Comint
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

Dont really like giving out good links but here's one http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

scrawn80 wrote:Dont really like giving out good links but here's one http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Comint wrote:The two links I posted above, will give you the ATS 909 Service Manual in PDF format - including the circuit diagram - and it will only cost you the download time.

--
Comint
Don't know how to do this and why are they in pink?

I don't own a Blackberry
Last edited by Phil on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix of Code
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote: why are they in pink?
The link colour on these Forums shows up on my screen as nearly the same colour as the normal text, so I usually colour links as "blue", but as your text was blue, I just picked another colour.
I don't own a Blackberry
Don't understand that one. I didn't make any reference to Blackberry.

--
Comint
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

no more links from me then
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:Don't know how to do this.
OK. I have uploaded the ATS-909 Service Manual, in PDF format, here at http://senduit.com/dc5bce . You should be able to just click on the link, and download it.

Be Warned: It is just over 2 M. The file will stay there for 6 days.

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

You got it working as yet ?
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

orangepeel wrote:You got it working as yet ?
Pretty sure I read somewhere he found the reset button and its working fine now.

Cheers Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Yes I'm pleased to say it's operational again.

Thanks for the advice guys. :wink: