SDS200 Scanner?

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
AusPTT

SDS200 Scanner?

Post by AusPTT »

So the general consensus is Uniden probably wont be bringing the SDS200 to Australia and certainly not anytime soon.

Why? Who's really willing to pay in the vicinity of AUD 1,300.00 for a scanner?

The argument could be that it is just a pretty and oversized UBCD536PT and this is probably pretty true.

I know there are a number of people who have imported their own already.

Is anyone else thinking of doing so?

I have contacted a number of suppliers in the US trying to get a discount for bulk, but no go. Uniden USA won't reply to me at all. I even tried to make it look like it was a USA email and I wanted to open a Uniden stockist.

Brian.
Pumper_50

Re: SDS200 Scanner?

Post by Pumper_50 »

Correct regarding there will be no local variant of the SDS200 for the time being.

It would probably take sales from the USDS100 which whilst selling okay from the last I heard it doesn't warrant the engineering expense to rejig the 200 variant for local sales, at the moment.

@railscan might actually be able to offer a more substantial explanation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

railscan

Post by railscan »

That would be me.

As your post rightly points out the SDS200 would have a RRP of around $1300. By the time you add the upgrades you would not be getting much change from $1500. This breaks the price barrier by a considerable amount and would predictably see low sales figures. We have to remember that Uniden is in business and is not a charity. For them to survive in Australia they have to return a profit. Accordingly the SDS200 cannot be justified in the Australian market.

It has been recommended that Uniden import the US model add an Australian AC adapter and warranty then sell it locally. This would reduce printing, artwork and associated costs, but. When costed it would still retail close to $1200 again over the $999.99 price barrier. Given the fickle exchange rate and initial cost it was decided not to proceed with the SDS200.

To an extent the SDS200 is an oversize 536, technically however they could not be further apart. The 536 is a PLL based unit while the SDS200 employs SDR technology. To the user they do pretty much the same. Having used the SDS200 I must admit the screen size and configuration is what sets it apart. But as most of us do not have unlimited budgets the 536 is a worthy substitute.

R
peteramjet

SDS200 Scanner?

Post by peteramjet »

The SDS200 has already been converted for Europe by Uniden Japan and is sold as the ‘SDS200E’.

Considering the EU version of both the SDS100, BCD436, etc offer the same band plans as the Australian versions of those models, it is reasonable to assume the SDS200 would be no different. Any ‘physical’ conversation of the scanner would appear to have already been completed. One would have to think that any firmware that would set the AU version aside as different would not be complicated (or necessary expensive) to implement. However there may also be issues such as approval etc that I’m not considering. And I agree, Uniden are not a charity and is in the business of making money.

Barry - if you are looking for a 200, consider the EU version (SDS200E) as it will cover the same band plan as an AU version (if it were ever implemented). It also comes with DMR and NDXN as standard. It retails for EUR743, which is approx AUD1195. You would then need to consider postage (and possibly, although unlikely, AU GST).
railscan

Post by railscan »

On the surface it would appear simple for Uniden Australia to piggyback off the European SDS200E. Unfortunately that is not the case. Uniden Europe (no such organisation exists, it is an agency (private company) only) has the rights to that model. Uniden Australia would more than likely have to pay UE a royalty as well as Uniden Japan for software and some firmware changes, as well as artwork, labelling and printing costs. Either way, whether it be for a proper Australian version, a modified European version or the standard US version the RRP would be between $AU1200 to $AU1500 depending on model and not including upgrades where applicable. At this price point you hit the psychological barrier of $999.99. There would naturally be sales but so small as to not warrant the effort. It would also more than likely reduce the sale of the USDS100 which has done okay in our abbreviated market.

R
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Has anyone imported a SDS200 or similar value unit over $A1000 from the U.S. and ended up paying customs duties and/or GST?

If it does get picked up, my impression is that you will be contacted by AP and asked to submit a Form N10 Import Declaration, which along with other things requires entering the customs tariff classification.

The last time I imported anything was some years back and I had to use a customs broker, and I ended up telling them what I thought the classification was, and that's what they used.

If you want to play your cards close to your chest, feel free to PM me :)
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Hi Damien,

I purchased one from Zip Scanners and did not have to pay any additional importation taxes.

I chose Zip as I've had success with them on previous transactions (Scanner Warehouse also) and because I opted to pay the extra for upgrade options instead of fluffing about with the whole US issued CC only situation.

At the time Zip Scanners were also offering NXDN for approximately $40 cheaper than the DMR upgrade option.

The AUD Vs USD comparison has been a bit better lately when compared to my purchase December last year.

Good Luck!
VK3RX wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm Has anyone imported a SDS200 or similar value unit over $A1000 from the U.S. and ended up paying customs duties and/or GST?

If it does get picked up, my impression is that you will be contacted by AP and asked to submit a Form N10 Import Declaration, which along with other things requires entering the customs tariff classification.

The last time I imported anything was some years back and I had to use a customs broker, and I ended up telling them what I thought the classification was, and that's what they used.

If you want to play your cards close to your chest, feel free to PM me :)
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Greetings :)

Thanks for this. I looked at Zip and saw they had the same prices as Scannermaster who I've bought from before so I went with them. I didn't bother with the upgrades as I'm yet to check out any DMR systems within range of here that are worth listening to.

I took out a debit card to get around the CC U.S. only issue for upgrades, but ended up not using it (or even activating the card) because someone in the U.S. did it for me.

Its on its way, so I will find out in a week or so what happens when it hits the country :)

And hopefully it won't have the speaker noise issue some were/are complaining about on RR -
railscan

Post by railscan »

VK3RX wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 pm Greetings :)
Thanks for this. I looked at Zip and saw they had the same prices as Scannermaster who I've bought from before so I went with them. I didn't bother with the upgrades as I'm yet to check out any DMR systems within range of here that are worth listening to. I took out a debit card to get around the CC U.S. only issue for upgrades, but ended up not using it (or even activating the card) because someone in the U.S. did it for me. Its on its way, so I will find out in a week or so what happens when it hits the country :)And hopefully it won't have the speaker noise issue some were/are complaining about on RR -
I have played with a number of SDS200's, three in fact. One had the hum, the others did not. Now I know I am old and my hearing is going (so my wife tells me - often) but in all honesty the hum was so low as not to be an issue. If you really listened for it then yes it was noticeable. What I did note was that an extension speaker appeared to make the hum more noticeable. Using the built in speaker, maybe because it points away from you, lessened the presence of the hum. Either way, if you are not happy with it, package it up and send it to PO Box 344 Springwood NSW 2777, I will pay the postage. I am joking of course!
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

With my SDS200 I noted there was no hum on using the built-in speaker.

When I plugged in an extension speaker there was still no hum, ran unit for a few hours and all was still good.
The following day when I turned on the unit and the speaker was still plugged in there seemed to be a mild pulse type hum, if that makes sense.

I unplugged the extension speaker and reverted to the built-in speaker and all was well.

It seems to come and go with an extension speaker, but to be honest sounds great even just using the built-in speaker.

BTW don't believe @railscan, he's not joking, not in the slightest, he seems to forget we all know he wouldn't be able to help himself.

Good luck with the unit when it arrives, remember to explore the screen display options and alter to suit yourself and those sectors of information that interest you. Very worthwhile IMO.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

A 536-PT here at one point did have an odd low level noise (hum/digital?), that varied with whatever was on the display. A not uncommon thing with that model I gather. If the SDS200 has similar noise it will be OK, but I see there has been some production mod along the lines which may have fixed it anyway.

I used a small Motorola external speaker and it was only noticeable if I was within about a metre, and so not really a problem.

Yep, looking forward to seeing it :)

Some people on RR have done some weird things with the display colours, but to each their own. It does seem you can change the grouping arrangements which may be useful.
railscan

Post by railscan »

Pumper_50 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm......BTW don't believe @railscan, he's not joking, not in the slightest, he seems to forget we all know he wouldn't be able to help himself...
Damn, thought I got away with it.

R
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

VK3RX wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 pm Greetings :)

Thanks for this. I looked at Zip and saw they had the same prices as Scannermaster who I've bought from before so I went with them. I didn't bother with the upgrades as I'm yet to check out any DMR systems within range of here that are worth listening to.

I took out a debit card to get around the CC U.S. only issue for upgrades, but ended up not using it (or even activating the card) because someone in the U.S. did it for me.

Its on its way, so I will find out in a week or so what happens when it hits the country :)

And hopefully it won't have the speaker noise issue some were/are complaining about on RR -
Yes, that US CC payment issue for upgrading US models was a real nightmare.
So many stressful and wasted months to finally find a way.

Then you have spare parts and accessories for any Uniden models, where they are not available locally here.

Good luck with it. I'll be very envy. Let us know what you think.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

If you buy from the UK/EU then DMR and NXDN are already activated. If don’t won’t them activated immediately, you can upgrade the UK/EU models directly from the Australian Uniden website.

I’ve bought from radioworld.co.uk on at least two prior occasions (albeit radios, not scanners). They offer prices in AUD as well, which is a benefit.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Thanks for this info - good to know.

I know the EU model has our bandplans whereas the U.S. model has some of the 800MHz band blocked.

Is the latter a serious impact here in AU? Are there many systems around the country that can't be received by the U.S. models? I recall reading something about a system using EDACS in Tassie that was an issue until the AU PT units became available.
railscan

Post by railscan »

Damien,

The only exclusion is the 869 MHz portion of the 800 MHz trunking assignments. Tasmania is the only area to be impacted by that because of their EDACS system. In reality for us 'mainlanders' there is little to nothing up there to monitor. And before someone tells me about a local system, yes there are a few analog users of 800 MHz that can still be monitored, but they are few and far between.

Notwithstanding the omission of 869 MHz the only other difference with the US modelis the default receive modes and channel spacing on some bands. However as the scanner (using Sentinel or Butel) can be fully tailored to suit Australia by the individual it again is not a reason I would not buy it - if that makes sense?

Purchasing the European model will give you close to our band plans and full coverage, it will also give you DMR and NXDN already enabled. To an extent this negates the need to do battle with the US website or pay more via a dealer.

R
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Update.

Unit arrived yesterday, no hiccups in transit from the U.S. - 'nuf said :wink:

It does have the "hum/digital buzz", noticeable using an external speaker if you are within 300-400mm or so but otherwise not, so its not intrusive. My 536-PT was the same. Noise still there with the internal speaker, but as Rusty said even less noticeable because that speaker points downwards.

Loaded with all my data and working well. Like the SDS100, it seems to lock onto trunking signals quicker and has less dropped transmissions than the 536-PT I had.

Now dipping my toes into the water of customizing the display and other fun stuff :)
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

railscan

Post by railscan »

Some observations if I may.

The lead up to the release of a new scanner can and does generate a considerable amount of excitement which in turn manifests itself often creating hyperbole.

Accordingly some consumers believe the rhetoric and the scanner takes on magic or mystical properties. Simply they expect more than the device can deliver. Just have to remember that it is wide band unprotected receiver and should be treated as such.

Enjoy it and remember that it cannot perform miracles.

R
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Well said :)