Moree Police gone to digital

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
matto1521

Moree Police gone to digital

Post by matto1521 »

Gday guys, my first post here, just wondering if anyone can help in regards to the nswpf in moree going to digital enc? have not had a transmission come over my scanner since monday night or is it more likely they may have changed freq being a rural area. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. have been listening to police radio for the last 16 years and in that time, ive only encountered one freq change. cheers everyone, Matt
Ross85

Re: Moree Police gone to digital

Post by Ross85 »

Yes mate can confirm went digital Tuesday. Not encrypted at the moment but will be before the end of the year.
matto1521

Post by matto1521 »

thank you for your reply mate, i have spent hours trying to find that out, can i ask, how did you find out? so if i were to have a digital scanner, how would i pick that up? i really appreciate your response. cheers matt
Ross85

Post by Ross85 »

No problems at all. Just put it this way I happen to work in the right occupation to know. I probably wouldn't bother with a digital scanner, the Police are broadcasting in digital encryption but VKG is broadcasting in analogue as there is still some sectors using the old vhf analogue system, so if u had a scanner you would only pick up VKG broadcasts. The channel will be encrypted by December so its probably not worth the cost unless you are interested in other services.
Last edited by Ross85 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
matto1521

Post by matto1521 »

its a real bummer, i was looking into the digital scanner just in the hope they wouldnt encrypt based on location, optimistic i know. with my existing scanner is there any freq i could change to to pick up any existing analogue broadcasts?
Ross85

Post by Ross85 »

Unfortunately the entire state will be encrypted in the near future, location doesn't come into it. Nothing left in moree that is analogue, unless you have a giant aerial that can pick up the Boggabilla frequency, its unfortunately all gone.
matto1521

Post by matto1521 »

its a bit sad to hear that really, my scanner stayed on 24/7 for like i said for around 16 years. like they say, all good things must come to an end. thanks for clarifying all that for me mate, some one some where owes you a beer 👌
Ross85

Post by Ross85 »

Yes I've heard from a few mates over at Moree that it will affect some of the local listeners . Hopefully it will help the Police and stop the crooks taking advantage of knowing where the Cops are all the time. And no problems at all happy to help👍
matto1521

Post by matto1521 »

it will most certainly help the police do their job a hell of a lot better out here, they were fighting a losing battle in my opinion, its just a shame for guys like myself who purely tuned in as it was a hobby of theirs.
lolbananalol2

Post by lolbananalol2 »

matto1521 wrote:it will most certainly help the police do their job a hell of a lot better out here, they were fighting a losing battle in my opinion, its just a shame for guys like myself who purely tuned in as it was a hobby of theirs.
That’s what they do. They lock everyone out because of a few people. How many criminals actually use a scanner anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lolbananalol2

Post by lolbananalol2 »

Ross85 wrote:Yes mate can confirm went digital Tuesday. Not encrypted at the moment but will be before the end of the year.
The nanny state strikes again.

matto1521

Post by matto1521 »

id assume there would be only a handful of hobbiests in town here that listen in, in saying that, having lived here my whole life, the crooks here probably arnt that intelligent to even use one.
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

One used to have to have some brains to find out frequencies, program and use a scanner, in addition to shelling out the $$$ to buy the right one.

However, apps like Broadcastify made it too simple for joe public to listen in, which I think hastened the move to encryption.
lysp

Post by lysp »

lolbananalol2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am That’s what they do. They lock everyone out because of a few people. How many criminals actually use a scanner anyway.
I listened for a few years most weekdays, and I only recall once (after a robbery) that they suspected the radio was being listened to.

On that occasion they switched to a local channel.
lolbananalol2

Post by lolbananalol2 »

lysp wrote:
lolbananalol2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am That’s what they do. They lock everyone out because of a few people. How many criminals actually use a scanner anyway.
I listened for a few years most weekdays, and I only recall once (after a robbery) that they suspected the radio was being listened to.

On that occasion they switched to a local channel.
That’s my point exactly.