USDS100 spare battery?

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
VK3RX

USDS100 spare battery?

Post by VK3RX »

Is a spare battery available from Uniden Australia?

I can't see any accessories for this model on their website, apart from the DMR etc. upgrade, and I got the impression from posts on RR that the smaller battery was to be discontinued.

I see on the ScannerMaster site they list the BPS100 battery and the EBC100 battery and external charger kit, both of which use the larger battery.

Whether that charger would work here is another matter, although it uses a wall-wart plugpack which suggests the charger itself might run on 12v DC so another supply can be used.

However they say that the required rear battery door for the larger battery is not supplied with either, and they don't list it as an accessory available.
dags19

Re: USDS100 spare battery?

Post by dags19 »

i looked at getting a spare myself,but the postage is almost the same price as the battery.
Radio_Australia

USDS100 spare battery?

Post by Radio_Australia »

The discontinued chatter was a USA thing for the us model ,

the US battery will certainly work ok , just need the plug pack for Au .

VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

OK ta.

With the USDS100 i.e. our version, does it come with the new larger battery, or the original smaller one?
Radio_Australia

VK3RX wrote:OK ta.

With the USDS100 i.e. our version, does it come with the new larger battery, or the original smaller one?
Small original size , no plans to release it with larger battery that I know of .
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i bought the U.S model lucky enough i got the larger battery!!
dags19

Post by dags19 »

try bearcatwarehouse they have bits and pieces https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

OK.

Odd Uniden Aust. don't list the supplied small battery as an available accessory.

Battery packs don't last forever and I've had the odd one go bad on me, so I always like to have a spare.

And FWIW I've found a user manual for the EBC100 charger; plug pack outputs 5V DC.

https://groups.io/g/SDS100/attachment/6 ... C100-2.jpg
try bearcatwarehouse they have bits and pieces
Yeah, I've been looking there and at ScannerMaster & HRO, but none of them list the smaller battery.

My assumption (right or wrong) is that because the U.S. version SDS100 is no longer supplied with them, stock & orders have dried up. Which made me wonder if that is why Uniden Australia don't list them ......
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i copied and pasted this from radio reference

According to information currently posted at the Universal Radio website, you will be able to purchase both the small battery (3600 mAh) and the large battery (5400 mAh) for the SDS100. The Uniden part/model number for the small battery is BT953 and for the large battery it is BT954. No pricing for either battery is currently posted on their website other than "T.B.A."

They also have a listing for the new Uniden EBC100 external battery charger for the SDS100 (already mentioned in another RR thread) which includes the large battery. There is also no pricing posted for the EBC100 other than "T.B.A."

Kudos to Universal Radio for posting this relevant information for current SDS100 owners and prospective buyers. Over the years I've found them to consistently be one of the first radio/scanner dealers to post new information like this regarding upcoming products.

Link to the SDS100 batteries and external battery charger at Universal Radio: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /6100.html
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

OK ta - according to that Universal Radio link it looks like the small battery BT953 is now discontinued.

So if you want a spare battery it will be the larger one BPS100, and you also need to buy the larger battery door (Uniden SBCSDS100) to accommodate it on the radio.

Bearcat Warehouse have them.

Edit: Bearcat Warehouse say they don't ship anything internationally now.
Last edited by VK3RX on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

It’s a pity Uniden returned to proprietary battery packs for the SDS/USDS handhelds. As a user, any benefits gained in making the scanner smaller are outweighed by the inability to easily get replacement batteries.
railscan

Post by railscan »

Both the large and small battery have been ordered by Uniden Australia, but due to production limitations have not yet arrived in Australia. When they do arrive they will be posted as a spare on the Uniden website.

R
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Interesting if they will ever receive the small batteries.

What UPMan and UnidenSupport have said on RR suggests they stopped the manufacture of them earlier this year.
Radio_Australia

VK3RX wrote:Interesting if they will ever receive the small batteries.

What UPMan and UnidenSupport have said on RR suggests they stopped the manufacture of them earlier this year.
Upman never comments on any items outside USA , he just handles US only .

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

railscan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 pm Both the large and small battery have been ordered by Uniden Australia, but due to production limitations have not yet arrived in Australia. When they do arrive they will be posted as a spare on the Uniden website.

R
I hope they also stock the battery cover, as I can see the clip breaking when interchanging batteries.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

peteramjet wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm It’s a pity Uniden returned to proprietary battery packs for the SDS/USDS handhelds. As a user, any benefits gained in making the scanner smaller are outweighed by the inability to easily get replacement batteries.
Yes, it is a shame.

They would have been on a winner if they opted for a drop in charger like Moto, Tait, Icom, Kenwood, and other professional radios.

They do it for their cheap UHF CB handhelds, why not with this scanner. :idea:
Radio_Australia

Xplorer wrote:
peteramjet wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm It’s a pity Uniden returned to proprietary battery packs for the SDS/USDS handhelds. As a user, any benefits gained in making the scanner smaller are outweighed by the inability to easily get replacement batteries.
Yes, it is a shame.

They would have been on a winner if they opted for a drop in charger like Moto, Tait, Icom, Kenwood, and other professional radios.

They do it for their cheap UHF CB handhelds, why not with this scanner. :idea:
Uniden makes a marine VHF handheld that is the same exact body , it also features a drop in charger , so the R&D is mostly done , not sure why they didn’t introduce it .

VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Xplorer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm I hope they also stock the battery cover, as I can see the clip breaking when interchanging batteries.
Not yet having a unit, my understanding is that the clip is attached to the body of the scanner not the battery cover, so if the clip breaks its a warranty job of the scanner back to Uniden.

It is said that the method to avoid breakage is to compress the battery and its cover before applying the clip to hold them in. I have to do that with a Yaesu hand-held.

However, we will find out in due course what batteries and covers Uniden Australia offer.