What Antenna Do You Use?

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

What Antenna Do You Use?

Post by terryhaynes »

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing okay. I am just curious on what everyone is using these days to scan with as I am on the hunt for a new antenna. Currently using a 477MHz stainless steel whip antenna (6dB I believe) and getting satisfactory results here in Runcorn. I am trying to reach the Gold Coast (SLSA etc) and receive them okay some days and garbled the next. I am trying to find a high gain antenna that covers roughly 400-512. I have been directed to this one in the past
http://radioindustries.com.au/uhf9db-9d ... -3.1m.html but doesn't state the coverage. I don't really want to use a yagi as I have other things to scan. Ideas?

Thanks,

Terry Haynes
SteveO

Re: What Antenna Do You Use?

Post by SteveO »

I use an SCABASE but I don't think they make them anymore.
Steve
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i use 2 of those mobile30 to 1300mhz whips mounted at either end of the garage port for general scanning .For pdw i use the outdoor tv aerial,works for me in the geebung area
Blake

Post by Blake »

Well, I think I had a thread on them kicking around somewhere, but in essence:

165 MHz Magnetic resonance loop antenna as my primary scanning antenna.
149 MHz vertical dipole for PDW and for my secondary scanner.
477 MHz stainless whip for the UHF CB.
Long wire antennas for shortwave.

And there's a couple of BNC HT antennas floating around.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

My main scanner antenna is an ex-CFA coaxial dipole.

Tha antenna was manufactured by Polar Electronics, Model 213W. Frequency 159.9625 - 165.1875 MHz.
The antenna obviously does well on VHF high band e.g. marine, Victoria RMR network etc. It also performs well on airband, UHF e.g. Melbourne MMR network, Melbourne Airport ARFF and other digital (DMR/NXDN) conventional and trunked systems.

As a matter of interest this antenna is coupled to five scanners via an active VHF/UHF multicoupler.

I also have a homemade four element yagi for monitoring the MMR.
ziggybyrne

Post by ziggybyrne »

For mobile use I like RFI CD51's in uhf as theyre bulletproof. Works nicely on a roof rack but not quite as well on a bullbar.
At home I've got an RFI YB6-6 element yagi uhf as well as a single folded dipole 400-520 mhz. Great receive antenna. Terry, the yagi's are great for longer range receive (and tx too). They also throw decent lobes off the rear of the antenna, allowing very reasonable rx and tx in the opposite direction to where the yagi is facing. I've used both yb6 and yb9 antenna from RFI and they were both very good. The rx bandwidth was great from 400-500mhz, and the tx bandwidth was 30 mhz plus.