Handheld digital uhf radio

Are you buying, swapping, selling or even looking for something? Post your advertisement in here and you may find someone who can help
GME Man

Handheld digital uhf radio

Post by GME Man »

Looking for near new handheld digital radio.

Thanks,

L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GME Man
peteramjet

Re: Handheld digital uhf radio

Post by peteramjet »

More information is needed. At the moment your question is no different to asking 'looking for a mode of transport to get to work' - ie too many variables.

What UHF band are you after? What type of digital? Trunked or conventional? Does brand matter (there aren't GME's currently in any digital variety)? Price range? Any required features?

If it's solely for CB use then don't bother. You can only use analog with voice.
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

I would like the band to be from 400-520 MHz, conventional digital. I would prefer a Motorola or icom but it doesn't really concern me. Price range would be in between $100 and $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GME Man
railscan

Post by railscan »

GME Man wrote:I would like the band to be from 400-520 MHz, conventional digital. I would prefer a Motorola or icom but it doesn't really concern me. Price range would be in between $100 and $250. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without sounding rude or condescending, the lack of information suggests that you need to do more homework when it comes to digital radio. Motorola produce radios that operate on at least 3 different digital platforms. Icom at least three. Only P25 Phase 1 is common to both at this stage. Neither of the Icom or Motorola P25's are full band, they do 400-470 MHz or 450-520 MHz.

Motorola's DMR system MotoTRBO is TDMA and while it shares some commonality with other DMR radios, it takes a considerable deal of knowledge of radio to program, (trust me I work with these things). Motorola radios cover the full UHF band.

Icom NXDN or Nexedge is FDMA and while it is easier to program prima facie, it still requires programming knowledge and understanding of radio. The Icom radios are not full banded and while they share the same AMBE Vocoder with Motorola they cannot talk to DMR or Phase II P25. Icom also produce a 2.4 GHz WiFi radio system (why I don't know), that is also considered digital.

Now if you think that buying a 'digital' radio and having the ability to program it, is going to give you an easy path to monitoring the police/GWN in south east Queensland, then I am sorry to disappoint you. IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK! If that is an incorrect assumption on my behalf then I apologise.

If the radio is going to be anything other than a cheap Chinese DMR, then you will need to raise a bit more money.

And finally as the previous post asked, more information?

R
Last edited by railscan on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Another question, why are you wanting a radio?
Why would not a scanner work?

I suspect your lack of awareness will have a lot to do with the original question.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

You're right Railscan, it won't work for Police in SE QLD as most of it is encrypted and that which isn't, isn't digital.
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Phantom wrote:Another question, why are you wanting a radio?
Why would not a scanner work?

I suspect your lack of awareness will have a lot to do with the original question.

I have a UBCD436-PT & a Tait TP9155 (Receive only) The Tait blows the scanner out of the water! The radios vote, the RX is far more superior than a scanner with RX capabilities. Radios can be setup as a scanner and will perform heaps better than an actual scanner.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Of course the Tait will out perform a scanner It is a professional piece of gear and it covers a limited frequency range, compared to the average scanner, but the problem is that the instigator of this thread didn't say what he wanted it for, the frequency required, or anything else for that matter. Because of this, plus the other questions that he has asked on this forum, a scanner is a logical suggestion. The vagueness of the original question, together with other questions asked leads me to agree with Phantom, that there is a lack of awareness here, but, he will work it all out and it will come together for him.
Alfred14

Post by Alfred14 »

What do you mean by "the radios vote"?
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Alfred14 wrote:What do you mean by "the radios vote"?
Likely voting scan, where a radio selects the RX and TX frequency based on a set of parameters, usually being the strongest signal.
railscan

Post by railscan »

peteramjet wrote:
Alfred14 wrote:What do you mean by "the radios vote"?
Likely voting scan, where a radio selects the RX and TX frequency based on a set of parameters, usually being the strongest signal.
In the US voting is more commonly called simulcast.

Basically it is a network of repeaters linked together by various means, landline, RF links or bearers. It provides wide area coverage to radios within a given area.

R
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Yes, the system is designed to use repeaters, links, land line, microwave and fibre optics to reach a large area, but a vote system allows an individual radio to check where the strongest system is coming from and to automatically change to that frequency. Think of a mobile phone roaming around the place, only able to hear and be heard by all and sundry.
Alfred14

Post by Alfred14 »

So is Vic police currently a voting system?
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Yes, for the moment.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk