My Concerns Over A encrypted P25 Police Radio

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
vkcpolice

My Concerns Over A encrypted P25 Police Radio

Post by vkcpolice »

Ok First of im not here to start arguments secondly i would like to hear other opinions and concerns.

ok so first the bad stuff about Digital encrypted police Coms
so sadly The police scanner is dying. about time some might say however other may have some very deep concerns.
So the public can no longer get the most up to date information on traffic reports fires crooks on the run. many times you will here of people calling the local police station reporting someone or a car they have heard on the radio. and giving the police the heads up on locations of crooks. How about other emergency services that monitor the police radio for information and the heads up on what they might be facing when turning out to a basic message on a page.
Will they be given rights to listen in to police communications. i dont see why not as they are a part of victorias emergency services but there has been no rumors of this happening and in metro areas other agency's do not have access to this information. how about the media with the rate of police corruption on the rise there is a crave concern about the police not telling the media the full story so the public will never know what could really possibly happen at an incident.
(I AM NOT CALLING THE POLICE CORRUPT THESE ARE JUST CONCERNS THAT HAVE BEEN FLOATING AROUND THE NET SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF P25) Me personally i am sick of hearing if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. does this phrase not apply to the police? If the police have nothing to hide surely they would of least give rights to other emergency services to monitor there coms. some will argue that they dont need access as they already have there own radio Dispatch but are they getting all the information about the incident? Last but not least the crave concern of digital networks not working in shopping plaza's or houses or any other strong solid building. (this does not just apply to police but any p25 user) what if a police member needs urgent assistance and is injured due to there portable radio. failing i know storys of people assisting police that have been one up cause they have heard a member in trouble on there scanner.

Ok the Good things about P25 Encryption:
Peoples personal info/life wont be heard by eves droppers. Note that MAS is not ENCRYPTED and give out a lot more personal information about patents than the police do. crooks will no longer have the head up on police.

other than that i can think of no more positives and this is only my personal opinion and like i said i dont want to start any arguments here and would like to hear your concerns. Is Victoria Heading towards a Police State?
peteramjet

Re: My Concerns Over A encrypted P25 Police Radio

Post by peteramjet »

Again? You seem to raise this 'issue' every 6-12 months. It's been covered so many time before that's it's a non- story

In the decades since police have been using encrypted radio around the world they have not become more corrupt and the media are still getting all their stories. Social media is the new modern-day scanner, and it has far, far more reach in uncovering 'corruption' and stories for the media than any bloke listening to a scanner was ever able to. Emergency services have liaison methods in place - they have no need to listen to the police on a radio to know what they are doing at like jobs. And finally, modern encryption does not effect signal strength.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Thx for your opinion and yes i have done a lot of testing of p25 digital and everytime the analog out does it. especially on simplex
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

"How" does analogue "out do" digital?
Range? Why does it matter if you can't hear the encrypted transmission?
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

ive been in many debates with people about Digital over Analog. i love digital and its clarity but when your on the boarder of the reception area 0f least you can still read an analog transmission as the digital you wont hear anything but garble. Digital still has a long way to go Tait are making improvements to there radio's as they are aware with problems with p25 on simplex
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What problems are you talking about - that you claim Tait are working on?
railscan

Post by railscan »

vkcpolice wrote:Ok First of im not here to start arguments secondly i would like to hear other opinions and concerns.

ok so first the bad stuff about Digital encrypted police Coms
so sadly The police scanner is dying. about time some might say however other may have some very deep concerns.
So the public can no longer get the most up to date information on traffic reports fires crooks on the run. many times you will here of people calling the local police station reporting someone or a car they have heard on the radio. and giving the police the heads up on locations of crooks. How about other emergency services that monitor the police radio for information and the heads up on what they might be facing when turning out to a basic message on a page.
Will they be given rights to listen in to police communications. i dont see why not as they are a part of victorias emergency services but there has been no rumors of this happening and in metro areas other agency's do not have access to this information. how about the media with the rate of police corruption on the rise there is a crave concern about the police not telling the media the full story so the public will never know what could really possibly happen at an incident.
(I AM NOT CALLING THE POLICE CORRUPT THESE ARE JUST CONCERNS THAT HAVE BEEN FLOATING AROUND THE NET SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF P25) Me personally i am sick of hearing if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. does this phrase not apply to the police? If the police have nothing to hide surely they would of least give rights to other emergency services to monitor there coms. some will argue that they dont need access as they already have there own radio Dispatch but are they getting all the information about the incident? Last but not least the crave concern of digital networks not working in shopping plaza's or houses or any other strong solid building. (this does not just apply to police but any p25 user) what if a police member needs urgent assistance and is injured due to there portable radio. failing i know storys of people assisting police that have been one up cause they have heard a member in trouble on there scanner.

Ok the Good things about P25 Encryption:
Peoples personal info/life wont be heard by eves droppers. Note that MAS is not ENCRYPTED and give out a lot more personal information about patents than the police do. crooks will no longer have the head up on police.

other than that i can think of no more positives and this is only my personal opinion and like i said i dont want to start any arguments here and would like to hear your concerns. Is Victoria Heading towards a Police State?
FACT: Encryption for all radio users is here to stay, whether you think it is good, bad or indifferent. That is a fact if life.

FACT: Digital is a better performer than analog, proven time and time again.

FACT: Even analog signals can be encrypted.

FACT: Yes some members of the police are corrupt, they are human beings and as such can be corrupted, but then so are politicians, ambulance personnel, railways workers in fact all walks of life can be corrupted, so nothing special here.

FACT: If a police member is "in trouble" and the public cannot assist, then tough luck. That too is life.

For Christ sake get over this and move on. If it is such a concern to you, then become a member of parliament, be appointed Premier and change the rules, otherwise live with it.

And finally, "Is Victoria Heading towards a Police State? " No it is not, it is already there, like every other state of Australia.

R
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

The police should have done it a long time ago!!!

Also Digital has out performed exceptionally well on the RMR with districts who struggled to turn out over the old Analog system but now can turn out with ease!!

On the Fire Ground Digital channels are great!! Show who is transmitting and you can hear without all the noise over the pump!!!
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Fact: Analog Encryption can be decoded easily with a top end scanner.
Fact: Analog outperforms digital in every shape and form on both Simplex and Duplex The CFA are still having major issues with Simplex and Imc digital channels that only run of one repeater the rmr seems to work well for base and mobile radios portables are a Nightmare.

Before commenting on the performance of digital over analog I suggest you stop reading articls posted by tait and get hold of a tait CFA radio and compare the 2 with all the testing I have performed analog out does digital in signal strength. Maybe where these people are saying digital is great live on a flat earth!
railscan

Post by railscan »

vkcpolice wrote:Fact: Analog Encryption can be decoded easily with a top end scanner.
Fact: Analog outperforms digital in every shape and form on both Simplex and Duplex The CFA are still having major issues with Simplex and Imc digital channels that only run of one repeater the rmr seems to work well for base and mobile radios portables are a Nightmare.

Before commenting on the performance of digital over analog I suggest you stop reading articls posted by tait and get hold of a tait CFA radio and compare the 2 with all the testing I have performed analog out does digital in signal strength. Maybe where these people are saying digital is great live on a flat earth!
Define analog encryption? If you are talking about voice inversion then yes it can be easily cracked, but other forms cannot be easily decrypted.

Whether the CFA are having trouble is irrelevant to this argument. It has been proven time and time again that digital is a better carrier than analog. You cannot judge all digital radio systems using one example. And for the record, I have not read any artcls (sic) posted by Tait or otherwise. I talk from experience (hands on experience in police communications).

The fact that portables are a problem for the CFA is down to any number of factors. Maybe it was poor network design, maybe poor base site placement, maybe the use of inappropriate antennae, maybe, maybe, maybe. I know that the establishment of a new radio network is a bit of the unknown and sometime a few years of fine tuning is required.

I would suggest you learn about radio communications properly before sprouting off half baked conspiracy theories and incorrect technical notions.

R
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

railscan wrote:
I would suggest you learn about radio communications properly before sprouting off half baked conspiracy theories and incorrect technical notions.
https://youtu.be/MBXHTvgN5ko

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pumper_50 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Agreed. This individual has made quite a few comments on this forum which are completely wrong, and contradict other post he has made. All that aside, this looks like it may degenerate into a flaming war in which no one will emerge as the winner. Can we perhaps forget bout this now?
railscan

Post by railscan »

Vkfour wrote:Agreed. This individual has made quite a few comments on this forum which are completely wrong, and contradict other post he has made. All that aside, this looks like it may degenerate into a flaming war in which no one will emerge as the winner. Can we perhaps forget bout this now?
Yes please!

R
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

In the interest of all those involved in this topic it is now locked
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG