UBCD396XT

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
JACKPOT

UBCD396XT

Post by JACKPOT »

Hi everyone,
I need some serious help. I have recently purchased the 396xt and have spent over a week trying to work out how to program my scanner. This is my first ever scanner so I'm finding things very difficult and frustrating. I have tried the software which doesn't seem to be working. For some reason it won't read my scanner. I have tried manually but am not grasping the terms of groups and ids and talk group ids. Is there a very basic way to explain these or walk me through the set up? I am trying first of all the Qld police frequency's.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: UBCD396XT

Post by Phantom »

What lead/software combination are you using?
Comint

Post by Comint »

JACKPOT wrote: Hi everyone,
I need some serious help. I have recently purchased the 396xt and have spent over a week trying to work out how to program my scanner. This is my first ever scanner so I'm finding things very difficult and frustrating. I have tried the software which doesn't seem to be working. For some reason it won't read my scanner. I have tried manually but am not grasping the terms of groups and ids and talk group ids. Is there a very basic way to explain these or walk me through the set up? I am trying first of all the Qld police frequency's.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
It would help if you gave an indication of which part of Queensland you are in, as most of the Police in SE Qld are encrypted, and therefore can't be listened to.

The terms "groups and ids and talk group ids", are only applicable to Trunked Radio. Best to get used to programming in Conventional frequencies before tackling Trunking.

--
Comint
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

Gidday ,Jackpot.

I was sort of in the same boat as you very recently. Here is a copy of one of my posts from a couple of weeks` ago on how to program the UBCD396XT .

I have used the freescan software successfully ,but ended up getting rid of the freescan programs and sat here for hours on end plugging in all the info manually because I wanted to be able to know how to do it if my computer bit the dust & it is more fun to do it this way anyway. Turn the volume down when you are programming it because the sound of pressing the keys that much will drive you mad.

Regular frequencies are programmed as CONVENTIONAL & P25 Digital is used for the trunked frequencies. You program both systems the same way .

Please follow all the steps I have listed below IN THE EXACT ORDER I have written them ,use the frequencies for your area ( obviously ) & you will be home & hosed.

Here is the post I put up that will explain it all :

After much reading & playing around with the scanner the last 24 hours, I worked it all out .
The ID`s I mention above are not actually the frequencies ,but the id`s of the radio units being used in the field.

I am very new to all this and still finding my feet.

For those trying to program the digital trunking channels ( I hope that is the correct term ) , this is what I did to get the CFA Victoria digital frequencies :

You need to program it to find & listen to a Control tower on a big hill. I talk in layman`s terms ,so that is my technical term for the big ariel that transmits the signal & where it is.

Go to MENU ,select Program System , scroll down & select New System ,select P25,select Standard Trunk, confirm YES , select Edit Name & re-name ( I just put P25 Fire ), press YES after re-naming & scroll to Set Audio AGC, turn both Analogue & Digital to ON, hit the menu button back 2 steps & select Edit Site,press Yes, then select Edit name & put the name of the Control tower in here ( I put in Mt.Blackwood Control),then press Yes ,scroll down to Set Quick Key & select the quick key number,scroll down to Set Frequencies,select New Frequency & put the first frequency here ( I put in 166.47500).Press Yes after putting the first frequency in & then scroll down to New frequency , put the next one in ( 165.72500 ) & continue putting all the frequencies for that particular Control tower. Mt.Blackwood has 5 frequencies ,so I put in the other three as 165.57500,165.87500 & 166.32500. The frequencies HAVE to be put in order of the Control frequency,then the alternate frequency,then the other three. I found the list of CFA Control Frequencies on the `Net & the list has the Control Frequency marked in red with a C after it ,so it reads on the website as 166.47500c ,but you don`t type C into the scanner,just the numbers. After typing in the last frequency into the scanner,just press Scan & the scanner will search for the info you entered.
I programmed in a total of 5 Control Towers with their frequencies & my scanner took all of 5 seconds to pick up the first 2 signals & was as clear as bell.

I hope this helps .

Please note that the regional control channel TGID`S will automatically appear on the screen when you pick up the signal & the individual radio ID will also appear ,so no need to try to program in a TGID.

My scanner works like a charm & a mate of mine also bought one & I got his up and running to mimmick what mine listens to . I programmed his scanner manually ,too.

Good luck ,Jackpot.

Nirvana
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

it took me over 10 hours to write the victorian files for the uniden 396 and 436 stuff doing it by hand