What to do with lots of Motorola Radios?

Discussion on Motorola technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
scrapper

What to do with lots of Motorola Radios?

Post by scrapper »

Hi, I'm a scrapper looking for some ideas on what I can do with these radio's I got today.
I collect e-waste and this lot was given to me to scrap but I think there's better value in re-purposing them?

I'm not sure how they work, whether they need some kind of base station to operate?
They do work though, like if I turn them on and switch channels, some channels are a continuous beep,
other channels seem blank.

My first concern is if I sell them as is, could they still be connected to the previous owner?
They have switched over to a new radio system so i'm assuming these radio's will no longer connect?
This is important as if there's any possibility of listening in to their system then I'll just scrap 'em and be done with it.

There's 3 different models it seems, all Motorola, GP328LS, PTX700 & PTX780.
The PTX780's have lcd screens and seem quite fancy, slightly larger then the others but they all take the same batteries.

So what do you think? is this something I can get better value out of selling? is there anything I should do before trying to sell? like delete anything? I notice some radio's for sale that have had their frequency changed, how do I do that?

any help or advice would be great, Thanks.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: What to do with lots of Motorola Radios?

Post by Phantom »

My suggestion would be to detail each radio, what band they are on.
Delete all settings on the radio, back to factory settings.
High probably that you will require software and cables to return the radio back to factory settings.
Cover yourself and the previous owners, and wipe them before selling them
scrapper

Post by scrapper »

Thanks, where would I find what band the're on? what do I do with that info'?
I'll try and find the software and cables, i'm guessing a retailer who sells motorola radio's would have that?
What do you think the're worth after being set to factory settings?
rooster

Post by rooster »

Scrapper what are the model numbers on the back of the radios? Google them and see what band the radios are on...
railscan

Post by railscan »

These radios are all pretty much MPT1327 trunking radios, that in some cases have limited non trunking channel capacity. They are all UHF by the look of them, probably 400-470 MHz. They may have come from the former Telstra Fleetcoms network. These radios are no longer supported by Motorola as of this year I think. Maybe next year I cannot recall for sure. Technically they cannot be used for UHFCB as they appear to be out of band, legally as well. My advice would be to sell them for parts at $50 each. Remember that possession of unauthorised radio equipment (generally speaking) is an offence.

R
scrapper

Post by scrapper »

Looking up a bit more info I found the frequency appear to be 450-527 MHz. is that the same?

I'm not sure what you mean by unauthorised radio equipment, I see them selling about the place.

It also says they are Conventional and Trunking System capable.
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

Where abouts are you mate?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

scrapper wrote:Looking up a bit more info I found the frequency appear to be 450-527 MHz. is that the same?

I'm not sure what you mean by unauthorised radio equipment, I see them selling about the place.

It also says they are Conventional and Trunking System capable.
He means what he said. It is illegal to be in possession of a radio transmitter without a licence, permit or authority. As these radios are trunked radios, they are not suitable for re-purposing, practically or legally, and as they are no longer supported, not really good for anything except parts.
chainz

Post by chainz »

Are you selling these?
scrapper

Post by scrapper »

Ignoring the fact that they are both trunking and CONVENTIONAL radios makes your story null and void.

They are supported, maybe not in the near future is another fact your ignored to make your point.
Who said i'm not authorised to have them in my possession?
Last edited by scrapper on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

scrapper wrote:Ignoring the fact that they are both trunking and CONVENTIONAL radios makes your story null and void.

They are supported, maybe not in the near future is another fact your ignored to make your point.
Who said i'm not authorised to have them in my possession?
Mr Scrapper, my comments are not null and void, and I certainly don't wish that I had some myself. If you care to consult the Radio Communications Act, Commonwealth of Australia, 1992, you will find that it is illegal to have in your possession, any radio transmitter without a licence, permit or authority. Further, it may also be prosecuted as a breach of the Australian Criminal Code, under some circumstances. Do you have such a licence, permit or authority? And, by the way, the evidentary burden is on you, not any prosecution. This means that the ACMA don't have to prove anything other than you had them; you have to prove that you should have them.

True, there are some categories of radio transmitters in Australia that are covered by a class licence that does not require the individual to have a licence, but these radios do not fall into those classes.

If you have a look at some of the threads on this site, you will see that the ACMA regularly peruses this site, and has taken action against various people.

You are correct, these radios do have SOME conventional ability, but are designed specifically as trunked radios. The support for a trunked radio system goes far beyond support for the individual radio and applies to the entire system of repeaters, computers etc. Motorolla will no longer be supporting the system these radios operate on, and thus, for the purpose they were designed for, they are pretty limited.

As for my qualifications to make such comments, I have been an amateur radio operator for around 40 years and, until a few months ago, a practising barrister and have represented quite a number of people in radio related matters and am quite familiar with the various laws regarding radio in Australia. Yes, there are people who do sell these things, and use them, but that doesn't make it legal, and whilst the ACMA doesn't have great resources, they do occasionally pounce, usually succesfully.

Basically, disposal of these radios, legally, boils down to selling them for parts. I would draw your attention to the comments made by railscan, who has been on this forum for some time now.
Last edited by Vkfour on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrapper

Post by scrapper »

ok i will seek information on how to dispose of them