Got no idea - is there a group in Geelong

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Surfgrrrl

Got no idea - is there a group in Geelong

Post by Surfgrrrl »

I've just brought my first scanner UBCD396XT and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing.
Is there a group in Geelong or surrounds I can attend to get the basics under my belt - or anyone around that area I can buy a coffee?

I just need someone to run me through the basics conceptually and how I can get something other than static out of my new scanner!!!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Got no idea - is there a group in Geelong

Post by Phantom »

What are you trying to listen too?
I am sure there are plenty of people on here that are willing to assist you, either by providing assistance over the forum or maybe sending you a file that you can upload to the 396 that can get you started?
Surfgrrrl

Post by Surfgrrrl »

I'm so new to it that I haven't really got a clue. I understand the police are no go these days but I guess the other emergency services, marine, air - anything really.

I spent the afternoon fiddling with the scanner but generally got static with a very occasional, distant something. I have been reading all the Scanning 101 things I can find - but I think I need a run through with this scanner and how it relates. But a file with the local things one could listen to would be a great start!!

But multiple coffees are on offer to anyone in the Geelong area or Melb CBD (I'm often in the city for work) who'd be happy to step me through the basics.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Option 1

Have a look thru this webpage - listed many clients that are in/around the Geelong area. If you click on one of the assignments, you should find a frequency. Bang that frequency into the Scanner. You will only hear something when there is activity on the frequency.

I am sure someone on here will be able to give assistance in setting up for the trunking networks in Vic.

This link might be of some assistance ?
Surfgrrrl

Post by Surfgrrrl »

Thanks Phantom,
looks great - I'll see if I can get past the static!
Comint

Post by Comint »

Surfgrrrl wrote: . . . I have been reading all the Scanning 101 things I can find - but I think I need a run through with this scanner and how it relates.
This link may be of some use.

--
Comint
Surfgrrrl

Post by Surfgrrrl »

Thanks Comint - very helpful. I think I listened to some Ambos. My first 'dipping' in of my toes!
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

give me a shout !!1 im over the other side of the big pond !!! but know a few guys over that way that may be able to help you out !!!

there are a number of geelong cranks that successfully use these scanners for all matter of stuff ,

what is it you want to listen to !!
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au