scanner users frowned upon?

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Spectre

Re: scanner users frowned upon?

Post by Spectre »

melbourneradio wrote:and for the record for those that have had a swing already I am in the security industry and have been for over 15 years working some very small and very large venues , some low profile and some very high profile sites around Melbourne and Victoria ,
so have I been approached by the long arm of the law , sure have ,, have I had my gear confiscated nearly ,
there has been a few occasions where I have come close
Some S/O's use scanners to augment their situational awareness, others to help pass the time (mere back ground noise) but the one's I see as the most objectionable are the ones who strut around with Vicpol (or the equivalent) blaring off their hip... this this the most negative of images to portray seriously straying into the "wanna be" category.
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I too am in the security industry, more so the patrol side and have used a scanner on numerous occasions at work. There have been times attending break and enters/alarm responses when I can get an idea of when the police are going to turn up, current incidents at clients addresses or backing up other security officers. The police are well aware that scanners are widely used and have no issue with us carrying them or having them in our cars.

However, I never display it in public or carry it on my person. I am aware there is sensitive information communicated over radio.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

Some S/O's use scanners to augment their situational awareness, others to help pass the time (mere back ground noise) but the one's I see as the most objectionable are the ones who strut around with Vicpol (or the equivalent) blaring off their hip... this this the most negative of images to portray seriously straying into the "wanna be" category.
to true ,,, and I know a few that have done just that ...
The police are well aware that scanners are widely used and have no issue with us carrying them or having them in our cars
yeah funny that before the dreaded change over to digital there were a number of companies down my neck of the woods that had police rx in there radios , as well as there own commercial freq ,
the control room also had a number of scanners , also most control rooms I have worked they have had scanners , the best one was one in the center of melb , they had an antenna on the roof of one of the taller buldings in the city , connected to the scanner , or so I was told , I know they could pretty much listen to any thing I gave a few freq a whirl one night for a laugh and was surprised with the coverage ,
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

rochedalescan wrote:However, I never display it in public or carry it on my person. I am aware there is sensitive information communicated over radio.
I think that is the difference.. like Iphones - everyone seems to walk with them in full view like a 24carat diamond.
knightcon

Post by knightcon »

Point 1 - Legality of Scanners
In Australia scanners are perfectly legal to buy and use as long as you do not act on the information you hear or rebroadcast said information to make a profit. So hearing about a meth lab on the radio and going to the site to rubber neck is illegal and piping the scanner through a P.A is illegal. Also if you have been stopped by the police for a PBT or such and they see your scanner they can request that you turn it off while they are dealing with you and you should obey the request.

Point 2 - Pretty Sally Towers
If the towers or base station equipment where damaged by fire then all frequencies from that site would go offline for that sites coverage area but would not affect the wider network. Additionally all the emergency services have backup mobile repeaters, often contained either in a trailer or in a pelican case which can be deployed rapidly (In CFA and SES here so am working on good authority). I have had to use them in the past and often if there is a risk to communications infrastructure like a main base station for an area the comms trailer will be rolled out and will be standing by so that it can be deployed at a moments notice. Takes about 10-15 minutes to fully setup and they can provide much the same communications capabilities as the original base station. In the time it takes to setup the trailer if it is safe to do so a member may be stationed on the highest peak near the tower with a mobile radio with TX and RX inverted. Think if it as a manual repeater, the member hears what is transmitted from one radio and rebroadcasts it by human voice to the other radios (I have done this in the past as well).

Point 3 - Shutting Down Towers Due To Fires
Telstra has and does shutdown equipment if it is at risk from events such as fires and floods. When this is done emergency services are notified as far eariler as possible so that an alternate communications plan can be established prior to the shutdown. Additionally Telstra will often where possible, if the equipment being shutdown includes cell towers, send out an automated SMS message advising of the shutdown and why it is being done before the shutdown occurs. It is considered only as a last resort due to the danger of knocking out communications where lives could be lost due to the loss of communications.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

so all these android and iphone apps are illegal cause the person providing the feed is rebroadcasting it online.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

knightcon wrote:Point 1 - Legality of Scanners
In Australia scanners are perfectly legal to buy and use as long as you do not act on the information you hear or rebroadcast said information to make a profit. So hearing about a meth lab on the radio and going to the site to rubber neck is illegal and piping the scanner through a P.A is illegal. Also if you have been stopped by the police for a PBT or such and they see your scanner they can request that you turn it off while they are dealing with you and you should obey the request.
A 'scanner' is nothing more than a radio receiver, essentially no different to your common AM/FM tuner. There is no restriction on what you use scanners for - if you want to act on the information or use the information to make a profit, then go for it. News rooms, photographers, towies, repair businesses, security patrols, 'rubber neckers' ect all do so. There is no 'scanner' legislation that prevents you from doing this

There is legislation that prohibits listening to certain things, such as intercepting telephone communications, but these restrictions are not specific to 'scanners'. There is no requirement, and police have no power, to make you turn a scanner down so you don't hear information about yourself. If you can receive it you can listen to it. But as stated plenty of times in this thread common sense must be applied in all circumstances - and I'd suggest if you are stopped by the police you turn your scanner off to prevent unnecessary questions.
Codeone

Post by Codeone »

^^^^^ Hooray, Someone who actually knows and understands the regulations. Well done Sir. So much misinformation is around regarding this. Your reply is clear and concise. Cheers.

CodeOne.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Codeone wrote:^^^^^ Hooray, Someone who actually knows and understands the regulations. Well done Sir. So much misinformation is around regarding this. Your reply is clear and concise. Cheers.
Thanks. You are right about the misinformation - many people get incorrect information from overseas where there are tougher restrictions on radio receivers, or act as 'bush lawyers' and make up restrictions that simply don't exist.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Yes it is refreshing to see someone come out with the truth of the situation, however, after reading Peteramjet's comment again, as a lawyer, and not the bush variety either, and a Lay Magistrate, I would urge caution. Under the Radio Communications Act, it is illegal to rebroadcast a transmission without the permission of the original stations. News services were caught up in this a few years ago and have now reached an agreement where they can broadcast a small percentage of transmissions. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending upon how you look at it, it is illegal to rebroadcast via radio, so those providing streaming are safe, for now, and given the increase in digital communications, I can't see this changing, or for that matter, very much mattering.

A police officer does have the authority to ask you to turn off anything, or to stop doing anything, which may interfere with his or her investigation, car radio, CD player, etc. Failing to do so could result in a charge of failing to obey a police directive. You could fight it, and you could win, but it would cost you a lot, and a little bit of common sense and cooperation doesn't hurt in these cases. Recently, the police have taken a heightened interest in distracted drivers, some states bringing in quite harsh penalties and rather liberal interpretations of the equivalent of their Traffic Act, that I would suggest, that if stopped by the police, turn the scanner off, preferably before they get to your window. It's not illegal, but don't go looking to create a situation.

By the way, in the case of failing to obey a police directive, you probably wouldn't win unless you could convince the magistrate that it was imperative that you have the scanner going, and I am struggling to think of something that would fit the bill right now. No, they don't have the right to stop you breathing, but you wouldn't know it the was some of them carry on
Comint

Post by Comint »

Also, bear in mind that all sworn Police Officers in QLD, NSW, VIC, and WA have powers under the Radio Communications Act 1992, as gazetted in Government Notices No. GN 3 of 25 January 2012 (page 176), even though most of them seem to have little, or no knowledge of the regulations.

In the remaining States, only some Police Officers have these powers, mainly those of Sergeant rank, and above.

--
Comint
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Vkfour wrote:...however, after reading Peteramjet's comment again, as a lawyer, and not the bush variety either, and a Lay Magistrate, I would urge caution. Under the Radio Communications Act, it is illegal to rebroadcast a transmission without the permission of the original stations. News services were caught up in this a few years ago and have now reached an agreement where they can broadcast a small percentage of transmissions.
100% agree, I didn't mention broadcasting etc as it wasn't initially covered by the OP. If people are confused, I'd go back to the old comparison of listening to an AM/FM commercial radio broadcast. If you can do it with a AM/FM commercial broadcast, then likely you can do it with a scanner. You can listen to a commercial broadcast via a loudspeaker/PA but you can't rebroadcast a commercial radio station over the net without the permission of the owner, so as you mention I'd use caution with rebroadcasting a conversation received on a scanner.
Vkfour wrote:A police officer does have the authority to ask you to turn off anything, or to stop doing anything, which may interfere with his or her investigation, car radio, CD player, etc.
Of course, if you are hindering, ect you can be requested to cease your actions. But I was referring to the OP, in which he said police have the power to make you turn of your scanner while speaking with you. That statement isn't correct, and while there is general legislation that may allow them to request you do a range of things, there is nothing specifically regarding scanners. As always common sense must be applied - and as I posted I'd suggest if you are stopped by the police you turn your scanner off to prevent unnecessary questions.