P25 Scanning Issue

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Mathew

P25 Scanning Issue

Post by Mathew »

Hi guys.

Just got my 396T yesterday. I program MFB and MAS (AV) into seperarte systems with there own TGID's, and it comes up with this for example:

MFB
TGID 20000

But it's MAS on there, they are talking about MDT's :s:s - Why is MAS coming up on MFB's TGID's? Makes newb digital scanners like me confused :P
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
AIRMAN

Re: P25 Scanning Issue

Post by AIRMAN »

You lost me there pal :?
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Yeah don't ask me about digital scanners...
Mitch Rogers
Finch

Post by Finch »

Is the problem that you are getting MAS talkgroups on the MFB system? If so, hit scan until it shows ID scan and it will only scan talkgroups you have saved into the system. If it's ID searching it will just receive all.

Have you programmed the scanner as MFB and MAS have their own separate systems or have you programmed it as MFB and MAS have separate sub system within a system (ie MMR)?

Or is it that MAS are talking on MFB talkgroups? Perhaps your data source is old and it's now a MAS talkgroup or it's a MAS/MFB liaison?
-Alex
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Thanks for the reply Finch.
Yeah, it was displaying MFB which I had programmed in, but ambo's were using/speaking on the TGID for some reason. This hasn't happened since last I posted this issue though.
The way i've got it set up is:

System - MFB
Group 1 - TGID 1 (Central), TGID 2 (Northern), TGID 3, etc
System - MAS
Group 1 - TGID 1, TGID 2, TGID 3, etc

Is that incorrect?
Finch

Post by Finch »

I get you. I'm only guessing but they probably have access to each others talkgroups.

That’s fine, I'd personally just go for the one system but it won't make much of a difference.

By the way, what/were is your talkgroup info source? I wouldn’t mind getting my MMR file up-to-date.
-Alex
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

I used vicscan and radioreference
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Also, is there any benefit to having them organized this way or the way you mentioned above?
Will scanning speed be improved if it's all grouped in one system? It does take a while to get through all the systems.
Finch

Post by Finch »

Depends on what your into really. Your way would make it really easy to lock out say all of the MAS when you want to listen to MFB only and vice versa. I think there is a way to lock out sub groups within a system but I have yet to find that nor have I put any effort into finding out how to do so.
The scan speed would be much quicker having the one system.
If you were to have the one system and you wanted to listen to MFB and the MAS are talking you can just select the tralkgroup (if you have saved it) or manually input the talkgroup and listen. Or you can keep on scanning off the MAS talkgroups until the MFB talk and then push hold.
-Alex
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

A lot of talkgroups can also be merged into one at certain times when there is not a lot of activity ive seen this be done on the mfb it gets annoying trying to find what talk groups to listen to.