Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing etc

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
workhorse

Re: Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing etc

Post by workhorse »

Thanks again.
I've got the cable. Should I use the Baofeng software or this CHIRP site? I've had a look but to be really honest I get lost in the radio terminology. It's good to know my tertiary education leaves me wandering in the dark.
Michael
Comint

Post by Comint »

workhorse wrote:Thanks for the reply.
If I get hold of a Windows pc is the programming easier?
I did say "_MOST_ software . . . . is . . . for Windows", but that doesn't mean that there is ONLY Windows software available. As far as I am aware, the Official Baofeng software is Windows Only. Try the CHIRP software first before thinking about getting a Windows PC. There are versions of CHIRP for Windows, Linux, and Apple. I don't know of any other Non-Windows software for the Baofeng UV5R.

Apart from the cost (which is one of the main reasons I purchased this unit) would a comms shop be in a position to report me?
Not really an answer to the above question, but bear in mind that if a radio shop is not familiar with that partiular Brand of Radio, it could take a couple of hours, at the cost of at least $70 an hour, to program the radio.

How big a deal is it to have these radios?
Lets just say, that the Emergency Services, Australia Wide, are not happy that they are coming into Australia, and getting into the hands of the General Public.

--
Comint
workhorse

Post by workhorse »

Once again thanks for your feedback.
I have managed to borrow a Windows PC and connect the Baofeng cable and today learnt how to get the programme running and in English. My real problem is my lack of radio programming knowledge and terminology.
In the Channel information page I am at a loss to understand the terminolgy used, eg; CTCSS Dec/Enc or W/N, etc
The Optional features page presents me with a myriad of dropdown options which also leave me at a loss.
Other gives me an adjustable freq range which I also dont know what to set at. Finally the Comms Port settings.
Is there a site or does someone have a screen shot of what would be the correct settings for these parameters?
My apologies to all as I seem like an ass in this situation am somewhat embarrassed I underestimated the difficulty in radio programming.
I appreciate the Emergency Services viewpoint in these circumstances as I am involved with them on both a local, state and federal level. My use is to be limited to farm/vehicle use.
Many thanks,
Michael
Comint

Post by Comint »

workhorse wrote:I have managed to borrow a Windows PC and connect the Baofeng cable and today learnt how to get the programme running and in English. My real problem is my lack of radio programming knowledge and terminology.
In the Channel information page I am at a loss to understand the terminolgy used, eg; CTCSS Dec/Enc or W/N, etc
The Optional features page presents me with a myriad of dropdown options which also leave me at a loss.
Other gives me an adjustable freq range which I also dont know what to set at. Finally the Comms Port settings.
Is there a site or does someone have a screen shot of what would be the correct settings for these parameters?
My apologies to all as I seem like an ass in this situation am somewhat embarrassed I underestimated the difficulty in radio programming.
I appreciate the Emergency Services viewpoint in these circumstances as I am involved with them on both a local, state and federal level. My use is to be limited to farm/vehicle use.
In short:
CTCSS - Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System - you shouldn't be needing it in your situation.
Dec = Decode Tone - CTCSS Tone used on the repeater output (if used, your receiver needs to decode it to open the squelch)
Enc = Encode Tone - CTCSS Tone used on the repeater input (if used, your transmitter needs to broadcast it to be able to get access to the repeater).
The same Tone may be used for both Dec and Enc, or a different tone may be used for each. Some repeaters may require a Tone on the input only.
W/N = Wideband (25 kHz) / Narrow band (12.5 kHz) - the old 40 channels were 25 kHz, the new 80 channels are 12.5 kHz.

CTCSS is a sub-audible tone that is transmitted continuously while the PTT is pressed. There are 38 Standard Tones, although some manufacturers provide up to an additional 12 tones, which are not standardised.

~~~~~

The first thing you should do, EVERY time you want to program the radio, is READ from the radio. Being able to READ from the radio proves that the connection is working, and that the communication parameters (Comms Port settings, etc.) are correct. The Comms Port setting tells the program which Port is being used by the programming cable.

When you READ from the radio, the very first time, it is a good idea to save that information to disk, so you have a record of the original settings, etc.

--
Comint
workhorse

Thanks for the help

Post by workhorse »

Well I'm finally up and running from some great help from somqld who walked me through the programming. Thanks also to the other replies that guided me through this process and helped in my understanding of radios.
One additional question with these radios.
When it is scanning it does not seem to stop when I transmit to it from another radio, ie it doesn't pick up a signal but scans past it. Could this have anything to do with the squelch setting?
Thanks again