Wiring bullhorn inline with CB.

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
Streetholden

Wiring bullhorn inline with CB.

Post by Streetholden »

Hey guys, iv come into possession of 2 bullhorns. TOA SC-610. What im wondering is if i could wiring these into my CB mic inline with a switch. So pretty much i can talk on CB, flick a switch (still transmitting on the CB if need be) then what i say comes out through the loud speaker. Is it possible at all? Ill be wiring one through (if its possible) a Uniden sundowner UH-088 and a Oricom UHF-080.

Any help or advice would be great thanks.
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Wiring bullhorn inline with CB.

Post by rochedalescan »

Alot of the old AM CB sets had the "PA" Function which would have been perfect what you want, but im not sure how you would do it these days with normal CB
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Ah true. Im just looking for the free way to do it. What about if i found some wiring diagrams and wired it into the mic transmit wire? As the speaker only has a pos and neg wire coming out of it?

Never mind, i tried every combo with the mic, no dice.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

might have something to do with the mic has no amplification and the bull horn is just a speaker to increase the sound. Jaycay could have a small amp kit, plug mic into that and the PA speaker out, should work.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

So id have to run lines from the mic to a jaycar kit then to the speaker?

Kit iv found:
KC-5152
This tiny module uses the LM386 audio IC, and will deliver 0.5W into 8 ohms from a 9 volt supply making it ideal for all those basic audio projects. It features variable gain, will happily run from 4-12VDC and is smaller than a 9 volt battery, allowing it to fit into the tightest of spaces. PCB and all electronic components included.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

correct but not to sure what watts your bullhorn needs to drive it. go and speak to Jaycar and see what they can do.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

No worries, ill go check it out. Its a 10watt 8ohm bullhorn :/
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Just went and saw them. Nah its not powerful enough. Need the $24 one :( Didnt want to spend money on this project buti guess i will. Wil be highly amusing tho when its installed.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Installed it today. Got the right amp. Works fantastic. However where its located the sound isnt that great.

Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Locating it in the engine bay ... mmmm

Not only the heat/dirt/noise - but it is under the bonnet - like talking into a bucket.

Why not locate it somewhere where the noise (out of the bull horn) will travel forward into clean air (nothing in its way)...
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Just curious why you want to be heard through a PA speaker?
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

orangepeel wrote:Locating it in the engine bay ... mmmm

Not only the heat/dirt/noise - but it is under the bonnet - like talking into a bucket.

Why not locate it somewhere where the noise (out of the bull horn) will travel forward into clean air (nothing in its way)...
Its 100% water and dust proof. It use to be mounted on a coal truck. As for under the bonnet, its the only place i could think of at the current time where i dont have to drill holes to mount it. You can still hear it when its running, but you have to scream.

As for why i want to be heard, im not going to lie, just be a complete and utter tosser to hurl abuse at mates on cruises.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Streetholden wrote:Its 100% water and dust proof. It use to be mounted on a coal truck. As for under the bonnet, its the only place i could think of at the current time where i dont have to drill holes to mount it. You can still hear it when its running, but you have to scream.
Have you considered magnetic mounts and just mount it to your roof?
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

You could probably mount it somewhere near the radiator, close to where they put the stock car horn i'm not too sure how much space is there, you would be heard alot better.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Iv tried everywhere in the front end. I dont want to drill holes and such because when im over it, i wont have any holes left over. I dont think magnets would be strong enough on most of the roads im on.