hey! scanner n00b needs help!

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
myxconviction
Newly Registered Users

Post by myxconviction »

Hey guys, awesome forum, i've been 'mildly' into scanners for a little while, my old man used to do ham radio when he was a kid. But i''ve taken an interest as of late, but am quickly getting tired of the 5-0 Radio iPhone app.

I'm looking to get set-up, mainly so i can listen to Rural Victoria Police, in my garage. I'm thinking a handheld scanner would be the goods.

My question is:

1. Which handheld scanner (preferably Uniden, but open to suggestions) would be the most high powered, widest reach unit?

2. I am happy to put an antenna in my garage so when i'm on the tools i can listen to stuff. Recommendations?

3. Happy to import from the US if need be, also budget is whatever it takes. Anyone got a ballpark?

Thanks heaps guys, looking forward to making this forum home.

cheers, Carey
Comint

Re: hey! scanner n00b needs help!

Post by Comint »

myxconviction wrote:Hey guys, awesome forum, i've been 'mildly' into scanners for a little while, my old man used to do ham radio when he was a kid. But i''ve taken an interest as of late, but am quickly getting tired of the 5-0 Radio iPhone app.

I'm looking to get set-up, mainly so i can listen to Rural Victoria Police, in my garage. I'm thinking a handheld scanner would be the goods.

My question is:

1. Which handheld scanner (preferably Uniden, but open to suggestions) would be the most high powered, widest reach unit?

2. I am happy to put an antenna in my garage so when i'm on the tools i can listen to stuff. Recommendations?

3. Happy to import from the US if need be, also budget is whatever it takes. Anyone got a ballpark?

Thanks heaps guys, looking forward to making this forum home.

cheers, Carey
Uniden Australia is supposed to be releasing an Australianised version of the BCD396XT, in January/February 2012, and while a firm Australian price hasn't been given yet, rumour has it that it will be comparable to the cost involved when people have imported the BCD396XT from the US (around AU$650.00). The Australian model will be known as the UBCD396XT.

--
Comint
myxconviction
Newly Registered Users

Post by myxconviction »

Cheers for the info, will that new one be able to pick up rural victoria police without the need for an additional external antenna?
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

All scanners I've ever bought have come with a antenna. Whilst it's not a fancy flash one it's done my and my handheld fine over the years. Depending on where you are and where you're repeaters are around you, you might need to look at getting an external one first. But don't till you test out the standard one.
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

myxconviction wrote:Cheers for the info, will that new one be able to pick up rural victoria police without the need for an additional external antenna?
That depends on whether your garage is metal, or lined with some metallic insulation material, and how far away from the Sites you wish to monitor.

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I heard today the release date was supposed to be early this week however has been pushed back to later this month, they are supposed to RRP @ $499 for a 396xt so fingers crossed uniden are sticking to their word of having it released before xmas.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Uniden have been saying a Jan 2012 release pretty much all along, it's others (Non-Uniden) who have speculated an earlier November release. Even though they're saying Jan 2012, given the Christmas/New Year holiday, and in some cases shutdown, period for some maybe we'll see units just before Christmas?

With a RRP of $499.95 thats a big improvement and Kudos to Uniden for reconsidering the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I guess we wont know untill it happens, uniden haven't exactly got a great track record in sticking to their time frames but this did come from someone inside :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Comint

Post by Comint »

rochedalescan wrote:I heard today the release date was supposed to be early this week however has been pushed back to later this month, they are supposed to RRP @ $499 for a 396xt so fingers crossed uniden are sticking to their word of having it released before xmas.
Straight from the "Horses Mouth" - the Uniden Australia website (Facebook), they talk about "one month to go".

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniden/92 ... =1&theater

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I stand corrected appologies. Any idea if they are going to release a 996xt sometime aswell ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Comint

Post by Comint »

rochedalescan wrote:. . . . Any idea if they are going to release a 996xt sometime aswell ?
I have seen NO mention whatsoever of a UBCD996XT. I gather the 996T was not as popular as the 396T.

--
Comint
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Which is a shame coz I would be interested in getting both. Oh well definitely getting a 396 :)
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Spec sheet for ubc396xt

Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Release date has officially been bumped forward 2 weeks. Will be in time for Christmas this way.
Pumper_50 wrote:Uniden have been saying a Jan 2012 release pretty much all along, it's others (Non-Uniden) who have speculated an earlier November release. Even though they're saying Jan 2012, given the Christmas/New Year holiday, and in some cases shutdown, period for some maybe we'll see units just before Christmas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pumper_50 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Pumper_50 wrote:Release date has officially been bumped forward 2 weeks. Will be in time for Christmas this way.
But where are we going to buy them. I've seen posts that Dick Smith Electronics is no longer in the scanner business.

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Talk to Jim @ http://ozscan.blogspot.com/ he has placed his order for them and you can pre-order/put your name down now get in quick limited stock for first shipment
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Comint wrote:
Pumper_50 wrote:Release date has officially been bumped forward 2 weeks. Will be in time for Christmas this way.
But where are we going to buy them. I've seen posts that Dick Smith Electronics is no longer in the scanner business.

--
Comint
I've asked the question on Uniden FB Page mate. Haven't seen a reply as of yet.
Comint

Post by Comint »

The Uniden website now has a PDF copy of the UBCD396XT Owners Manual.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Bandplan has not changed from the BCD396T/996T Bandplan.

--
Comint