Almost home on Trunking

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
rredbeak

Almost home on Trunking

Post by rredbeak »

Ive learnt so much from you guys im so greatefull. Eventho shaky ive grasp it at long last ,now its only hands on learning curve to be finally proficient.I am finally walking my way through menus/sub menus on both the 96 and the 996 without absolute fear LOL.

One last question.
How do you know what offset to put in,the choices are from 380 to around 780. Is it critical if i get it wrong?

Is there a site i can see what the offsets are along with base freqs? on RR not all are marked this way.

TY Cheers Rod
I LOVE AOR scanners, but cant afford the newer ones LOL. So Uniden is it.
Comint

Re: Almost home on Trunking

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:One last question.
I doubt it.

How do you know what offset to put in,the choices are from 380 to around 780. Is it critical if i get it wrong?
It's critical in the sense that if you get it wrong, the scanner goes off to the wrong frequency on Voice calls.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

then how do i determine what the offset and base freqs are if its not listed please ?

Cheers Rod
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:then how do i determine what the offset and base freqs are if its not listed please ?

Cheers Rod
Intuition, and a lot of hard work.

--
Comint
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Comint is right it is mostly guess work however we do try and take that guess work away from you don't get it wrong

and i also agree with comint that it probably wont be your last question as even i still ask questions, better to ask then to not get the right answer
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

Thats True Phil,
It was a silly thing to say but never mind. Life goes on .

I thought there might be some formula you apply to the freq to get the base freq..Cheers Rod
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:I thought there might be some formula you apply to the freq to get the base freq..Cheers Rod
There is (sort of), but you have to know the Channel Number of the Frequency.

As I have posted in these forums previously (numerous times, it seems, but the posts keep disappearing), the Trunking System Controller only broadcasts Channel Numbers, and the Mobiles know which frequency relates to the particular Channel Number.

Unfortunately, such is not the case with scanners, or Trunked Radio Decoding programs such as Trunk383, TRUNK88, or UniTrunker, etc. and basically, the Offset, in conjunction with the Base Frequency, provides this relationship.

As the Trunked Radio segment of the 800MHz Band is pretty well standardised, worldwide, most Trunk Tracking scanners come with the Offset / Base Frequency pre-set for this Band. However, operation in other Bands is not so formalised, and the Offset / Base Frequency input is a means of solving this problem.

Early scanners only allowed one set of Offset / Base Frequency, but with some Networks, such as the NSWGRN, and the VIC MMR using multiple blocks of frequencies, later scanners allowed up to three sets of Offset / Frequency entries, with recent models having provision for up to six entries.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

i use proscan,uniden software,freescan,buetel ar996 but none of them provide the base or offset.The Proscan time limit is long expired but it still fires up and runs up/down to the scanner,Very happy with it. So is Freescan,its good stuff too.

trouble is if the offset is critical and it ranges from 0 to 780 or so and the software doesnt supply or suggest its very frustrating.If the base and other freqs are CORRECT but the Offset ISNT right will i still hear anything?

I tried using trunk88 but i cant get it installed properly for some reason,Unitrunker will install but i dont like it much

I just joined brisbane scan forum and their list does give the details.

Cheers Rod

PS,you were right its far from my last question ROFLLLLLLLLLLL..