Installing Dual Band Radio in Car Help!

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
jaskel

Installing Dual Band Radio in Car Help!

Post by jaskel »

Hi all,

I have a Icom IC208H I want to install in my car, they recommend installing it directly to the battery, however I would much rather have it on a acc setup so the key is of then so is the radio...but I tried this and when I TX on 50w it popped the ACC fuse.

How have u guys wired up ur ham rigs in ur cars?? ive installed alot of radios but none with higher output...so im looking for some feedback from those that have.

thanks guys

Jas
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
bonnie28

Re: Installing Dual Band Radio in Car Help!

Post by bonnie28 »

Are you trying to say that you just want to run the power off your accessories. If so, I think you will find that the radio draws to many amps. Thats Why they recommend you run it straight off the battery. Even most cigarette plugs can only handle 8amps, I guarantee when punching out 50watts it will probably need atleast 12-14amps at a guess.
There is no way around that, you just have to run a separate power lead from the battery. In saying that your radio will also run a little better while your car is running. The more volts the better.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah I was hoping there was a glimmer of hope somewhere,....Id rather not have the radio directly to the battery....I might run around the fuse box and see what I can find that handles a good what...thanks champ
j
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

I think you will find, that you just keep blowing fuses, Try tapping into the A.C power, it noramly uses a few amps.
Comint

Post by Comint »

jaskel wrote:I have a Icom IC208H I want to install in my car, they recommend installing it directly to the battery, however I would much rather have it on a acc setup so the key is of then so is the radio...but I tried this and when I TX on 50w it popped the ACC fuse.
Run it directly off the battery, as recommended, however, install a 12 Volt relay in the Positive lead, and control the relay from the ACC setup.

As for a relay, something like the Jaycar SY-4077 or SY-4073. Stay clear of 'Horn Relays' as some of them aren't designed to be energised for lengthy periods of time. Otherwise try an Auto Electrician.

--
Comint
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

ok I found a nice thick wire in the kickpanel and tapped into it...TX on 50w no problems, ive TX for about 30 sec and no issues!

No idea what the wire is for but hey it works
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

you need to TX for 3 mins as most repeaters will time out at that. Max power I normally use is 25Watts. But I do have cabel direct from battery, best ways that way it does not effect the cars wiring.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

nah the wire I found is perfect, rund fine, no loss of anything while transmitting so all is good!
vk-kev

Post by vk-kev »

Why don't you use a relay like that used for a set of driving lights. When the ACC is on, so is the relay activated, the relay is sourced directly from the battery and it handles the min 15 amps or 30 or whatever. With its own fuse. Otherwise you're stuck with radio power direct, you'll have to remember to turn it off, before you get out of your car. It is the preferred method to have its own fuse, you may have overloaded some other car function, by piggy backing it onto it. You might blow a fuse at night when talking and the lights will go out, or some other horror.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

thanks but i got it sorted, found a 50a wire that is on ACC ;)