QFRS Selcall

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
D1cko

QFRS Selcall

Post by D1cko »

I have 2 questions here. 1, Is it possible to listen to QFRS selcalls and the second is what do they use the function for mostly?

Thanks

Ben

PS. sorry if this is in the wrong section.
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: QFRS Selcall

Post by rochedalescan »

I heard that comms can selcall the truck if they are away from it and the lights and sirens go off to alert them of a selcall. Other than that im not too sure what its used for.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Finch

Post by Finch »

1: Yes, You can use Wintone or ScanScope to decode the tones. ScanScope is much more user friendly though.
2: I'm not sure what it's used for up there but it's used for identity and status here.
-Alex
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

SELCALL primary function is to alert the other party that they are being "paged" by another operator.

This could be if they are away from the radio, radio volume turned down, or not monitoring the radio constantly (listening) etc etc

Same function applies as the SELCALL on the UHF CBRS, Aeronautical, Commercial, Emergency Services.

The higher end radios typically support SELCALL (Selective Calling)

If u would like more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selcall
D1cko

Post by D1cko »

yeh I know how selcall works but today something was going on in town and all that was on the scanner was selcalls. I was wondering if they use it for a more secure form or coms.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

It wasn't on a turnout channel was it ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

rochedalescan wrote:It wasn't on a turnout channel was it ?
Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that's what he was listening to.
"YOUNGN"
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

If it was a turnout channel those noises are the doors opening and key cabnets being opened remotely from fire comm I think... someone correct me if im wrong.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

nope as far as i know ur right on both accounts Rochdalescan. if the crews are busy say for an auxillary crew that isnt fully manned and fire com is trying to call them but they dont answer because they are bussy, firecom can send a selcal which activates lights and sirens and then to deactivate them the crew of the truck has to do that so they keep going till someone realises they are needed on the radio for a sit rep or whyat ever firecom needs
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
scanners simoco 9020vhf, simoco 9020uhf, IC-400pro, IC-41s, ubc340crs
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Before they changed the turnout system in South West they would sellcall the pumper for the permanent stations, this then alerted the crew to the job who then listened as they were being turned out.

Firecom only uses this when the crew aren't replying on the radio (whether they be on a fireground etc)
Mitch Rogers
Phoenix Rising

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Stretch wrote: Firecom only uses this when the crew aren't replying on the radio (whether they be on a fireground etc)
Firecom do selcall tests with EVERY station, EVERY APPLIANCE, every month - so if you're not sure what station has what appliance listen in - cause they go through the whole lot! LOL!! Brisbane does anyway!
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Stretch wrote: Firecom only uses this when the crew aren't replying on the radio (whether they be on a fireground etc)
Firecom do selcall tests with EVERY station, EVERY APPLIANCE, every month - so if you're not sure what station has what appliance listen in - cause they go through the whole lot! LOL!! Brisbane does anyway!
Sorry apart from testing. :)
Mitch Rogers
D1cko

Post by D1cko »

Yeh it was on the turnout channel. I've never heard it before except for radio checks. It was going on for about 5-10 mins. I've never heard it when they ask for the station to be secured or the key cupboard to be locked/unlocked.