Scanners

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
bonnie28

Scanners

Post by bonnie28 »

Has anyone had experience with a ICOM IC- R20 , If so how do they line up against the alinco or AOR equivelant.
Uniden hand helds look chaep compared to these.
alinco21

Re: Scanners

Post by alinco21 »

THe Alinco DJX-2000E is great, super sens plus it has the scramble function.

the Alinco DJX-10E is deaf on most freq. don't know about the ICOM but the reviews are good.

Paul.
Comint

Post by Comint »

bonnie28 wrote:Has anyone had experience with a ICOM IC- R20 , If so how do they line up against the alinco or AOR equivelant.
Uniden hand helds look chaep compared to these.
If the IC-R20 follows other Icom models, it has one major failing. You can only have any ONE Bank enabled, or ALL Banks enabled. In other words, you can't just 'Lock Out' a couple of Banks (ie, two, or three, or four), and listen to the remainder. It's listen to the lot, or listen to ONLY one Bank (any Bank).

Also, all Icoms have a reputation for slooow scan rates.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Comint is right about scanning with ICOM. I have the IC-R5 which is now 2 years old. Works reliably well and has many different functions...except SSB. The all or one scan bank set up is annoying and cannot be altered. I have got around this by filling up one bank with the busiest frequencies, but it still doesn't cut through selective banks anywhere like my UBCT9 nor does it scan/search as fast either.

I don't know if the new ICOM model - this one is any different:
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... fault.aspx

Nice looking unit, but complex and not recommended unless you have previous knowledge of how ICOM sets up their scanning receivers.

I like the new Alinco slim line scanner and might consider one for covert use.

Where are the reviews about Alinco? Are they as complex as ICOM?