Uniden UBCD396XT Newbie.

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
ScanningPatrol
Newly Registered Users

Uniden UBCD396XT Newbie.

Post by ScanningPatrol »

Hi guys the names wade living in south gippy
I have a uniden UBCD396XT digital scanner. There are 2 questions i have 1st question is there any one around that nows how to program these units? I would like to have fire police ambos ses air rta etc all for gippsland areas and rural vic as i do alot of traveling and just like to no whats going on and cfa for around home in summer because we live in a bush area.

2nd question is the remote head are they any good ? Is any one selling a s/h one and are the worth having or more trouble than there worth?

Thanks for any input and feed back guys look foward to talking and using this forum more and more cheers wade
X-Firey

Re: Uniden UBCD396XT Newbie.

Post by X-Firey »

Hi Wade,
A lot of the info you are after is freely available via the internet. Vicradio Zone is a good start.
Search for and have a look at various software available to program the UBCD396XT.
I personally use FreeSCAN for my Unidens scanners and have had no issues with it. As the name implies it is a free download.

If you program you own scanner you can have it set up the way you want and won't have to rely on anyone else for any additions or alterations to your setup.

As for the remote head you would need the Australian version (Australian firmware). Uniden stopped production of the remote head some time ago and it may be hard to find one. I had one for a while and found it a bit of a hassle installation wise but that's a personal choice.

I hope you enjoy your UBCD396XT they are a good scanner. Happy scanning...
IanG3145

Post by IanG3145 »

ScanningPatrol wrote:Hi guys the names wade living in south gippy
I have a uniden UBCD396XT digital scanner. There are 2 questions i have 1st question is there any one around that nows how to program these units? I would like to have fire police ambos ses air rta etc all for gippsland areas and rural vic as i do alot of traveling and just like to no whats going on and cfa for around home in summer because we live in a bush area.

2nd question is the remote head are they any good ? Is any one selling a s/h one and are the worth having or more trouble than there worth?

Thanks for any input and feed back guys look foward to talking and using this forum more and more cheers wade
HiWade,

I too am in Sth Gippy. CFA member and ex SES.

Here's the manual for your unit.. https://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAI ... 6XT_OM.pdf

Firstly do you know the frequencies you want to program in? That's a hellishly complicated programming method. Good Luck.

Police will soon be going to digital and you will not be able to scan them at all. In the meantime, the the old VKC station at Morwell has been closed down for a couple of years now so it all comes through VKC main which is transmitted through the VicFire complex at Ballarat. The frequency you want is 163.2750 for police.

Ambo is pretty quiet down this way but nearer Melbourne it's really busy.

SES is a waste of time as they follow a brief of using radio as little as possible. In our brigade, most used mobile phones.

Almost zero aircraft traffic around here but again, other areas are better.

CFA will be switching to digital however because it's not uncommon for incidents to be handled by local members, providing support, etc, there will be a website with live feeds of all CFA traffic. At this stage I "believe" it may only be open to members but I'll check on that.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

The website with the live feeds is www.broadcastify.com
Look under Australia - Victoria Live Audio Feeds.
The site can also be accessed via RadioReference.