Question on encryption of Tx

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
Mike007
Newly Registered Users

Question on encryption of Tx

Post by Mike007 »

Hi everyone,

Very new to forum and just wanted some input from you all about scanning

I'm looking forward to getting back into scanning after a long break of a few years and I'm wowed at the huge amount of changes that have happened in that time

I'm looking at buying a Uniden 436PT. I'm keen to scan the Rural Fire Bregade, especially around southern parts of Sydney as I live very close to the bush. A couple of years ago a controlled burn got out of hand and it would have been great to get more notice and keep ahead of what was going on.

My concern is from the research I've done here and on the net there is conflicting info on which of the emergency services use encrypted transmissions so preventing us scanning.

Is it still worth getting a scanner? Is it only the police that use encryption?

Looking forward to some input from you all.

Cheers
James
lolbananalol2

Re: Question on encryption of Tx

Post by lolbananalol2 »

It is only the police that use encryption. Everything else is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike007
Newly Registered Users

Post by Mike007 »

Thanks for the quick response, now to just need to get my head around all this P25 stuff.

Cheers
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

The Uniden 436PT will be fine on P25 and you will here the RFS etc no probs with it.

Any service on the GRN (RFS etc) you should hear as long as you are close enough to a GRN tower.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Mike007 wrote:I'm looking at buying a Uniden 436PT.
The 436PT will work fine for the RFS now and into the future, however if you are ever considering monitoring DMR or NXDN systems, which is the way large numbers of commercial (is non emergency) users are going, then this scanner will likely never be able to monitor those systems.

Look at the UK version, the UBCD3600 (exactly the same but with DMR out of the box for the same price) or a Whistler TRX-1.
Mike007
Newly Registered Users

Post by Mike007 »

Thanks everyone. I did stumble onto the TRX-1 and it seems like a good unit capability wise so now I'm in two minds about the 436.

Please forgive the lack of knowledge but can the 436 be software upgraded to DMR or NXDN networks? I keep reading that Uniden are pretty poor at updates?
frankc

Post by frankc »

Mike007 wrote:Thanks everyone. I did stumble onto the TRX-1 and it seems like a good unit capability wise so now I'm in two minds about the 436.

Please forgive the lack of knowledge but can the 436 be software upgraded to DMR or NXDN networks? I keep reading that Uniden are pretty poor at updates?
Yes, there will be a DMR upgrade according to Jim at Ozscan (though not for NXDN) within the next 6 months and it will be a paid upgrade like the the US Models
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Uniden Australia providing a DMR upgrade is the great unknown. The AU version was only made possible due to a third-party arrangement for the CFA, and as they don't need DMR it's entirely possible DMR may never be introduced on that model (along with the 536PT). There is one member on here who may be able to confirm/deny, but they may also be restricted from doing so.

If they do implement DMR, and it is paid upgrade, the cost of importing a UBCD3600XLT or Whister TRX-1, which both have DMR included and will receive any updates into the future for free, is still cheaper than the cost of buying a 436PT in Australia.
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i imported mine with the update from the states a while ago does what i want it to do up here in qld,
frankc

Post by frankc »

peteramjet wrote:Uniden Australia providing a DMR upgrade is the great unknown. The AU version was only made possible due to a third-party arrangement for the CFA, and as they don't need DMR it's entirely possible DMR may never be introduced on that model (along with the 536PT). There is one member on here who may be able to confirm/deny, but they may also be restricted from doing so.

If they do implement DMR, and it is paid upgrade, the cost of importing a UBCD3600XLT or Whister TRX-1, which both have DMR included and will receive any updates into the future for free, is still cheaper than the cost of buying a 436PT in Australia.
Bollocks, Uniden Australia provided a Firmware upgrade to remove the 800Mhz Block and made the Bandplan the same as the 396XT which NONE of the overseas models have and in fact the Aussie bandplan was removed from the most recent Whistler firmware upgrade - and as for cost - the exchange rate ain't so crash hot and there are Warranty issues with returning it to the US for Repairs etc.

I prefer to support local retailers
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

frankc wrote:Bollocks, Uniden Australia provided a Firmware upgrade to remove the 800Mhz Block and made the Bandplan the same as the 396XT which NONE of the overseas models have and in fact the Aussie bandplan was removed from the most recent Whistler firmware upgrade - and as for cost - the exchange rate ain't so crash hot and there are Warranty issues with returning it to the US for Repairs etc.

Not entirely correct. The UBC3600XLT has no 800Mhz or VHF block. It is, for all purposes, the exact same as the AU 436PT except it can scan DMR (for free) out of the box. The TRX-1 also has no VHF block when UK firmware is selected, which will work fine in AU as you can modify the bandplans until the offical AU firmware is re-released (apparently shortly).

And cost, well it's definitely cheaper from the UK. The 3600XLT can be had for less than GBP$360, that's under AUD$630 - a TRX-1 for even less. You can post it to AU for less than AUD$50, so that's less than $680 delivered (with DMR). An AU 436PT doesn't retail for less than $720, plus there will likely be an extra outlay if DMR is introduced.

Warranty, well that's where you may take a hit. I've likely owned 20 scanners of all brands and never needed a warranty repair, so it would be a somewhat calculated risk.

I also prefer to support local retailers, but if a product isn't available locally then importing one is the only option.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

frankc wrote:
peteramjet wrote:Uniden Australia providing a DMR upgrade is the great unknown. The AU version was only made possible due to a third-party arrangement for the CFA, and as they don't need DMR it's entirely possible DMR may never be introduced on that model (along with the 536PT). There is one member on here who may be able to confirm/deny, but they may also be restricted from doing so.

Bollocks, Uniden Australia provided a Firmware upgrade to remove the 800Mhz Block and made the Bandplan the same as the 396XT which NONE of the overseas models have and in fact the Aussie bandplan was removed from the most recent Whistler firmware upgrade - and as for cost - the exchange rate ain't so crash hot and there are Warranty issues with returning it to the US for Repairs etc.

As peteramjet mentioned and as I posted in the Uniden folder, I have the UBCD3600XLT handset imported from the UK and can confirm the following frequency range

25 – 512 MHz,
806 – 960 MHz,
1240 - 1300 MHz.

http://www.aussiescanners.com.au/forum/ ... 267&t=7818

I also like to support local retailers, but if they don't offer what you want, then you have no option but to take the sale overseas. I'm over the make do attitude with buying whatever they want to provide us, and prefer now days to quality products that suit what I want, even if that means looking elsewhere or overseas.

I've also had the 436-PT and 396XLT (now obsolete) models. The 396XLT is by far a much more sensitive scanner on the UHF range using the stock standard antenna than the 436-PT model. Surprisingly, the 3600XLT model is almost just as deaf as the 436-PT model, and reports from the US also mentioned similar issues with their 436HP, so it seems to run in the 436/3600 family. The key is to swap out the stock standard antenna with another one and keep trialing antennas until you identify one suitable for the band range you mainly listen to.

Yes, there are those that say connect it up to an outside antenna. Although great for home, it defeats the purpose of having something portable.

For strong signals, like the 436-PT, the 3600XLT works very well. Having DMR capability opens up a whole new world of listening, as many more radio users are opting for DMR. Those that say there is no DMR in their area, are either in rural/remote areas, or don't have a scanner that receives DMR signals. You will be surprised how much DMR there really is.

I have no knowledge of Police in and around the Sydney area, but I have heard that depending on where you are in the metro area, you may hear some country channels that border with outer metro that could provide some good city area listening.

I don't have the Whistler model yet, but have used their software. Hopefully someone else can help you out with how they work and their functionality.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I have been a Uniden fan for many years but purchased a Whistler TRX-1 due to it receiving DMR 'out of the box' and the promised NXDN upgrade at the time.

I am extremely happy with the unit, it functional and works very well. No issues with DMR, NXDN or P25. The software was a challenge to start with but I quickly got the hang of it as I have with Uniden's or third party software. Whistler appears to listen to their customers and any issues seem to be rectified quickly whether it be in the form of a firmware or PC app update.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

An update of sorts for those looking to buy. With the UK election the GBP has dropped, and may continue to drop. The rate (as of now) is GBP1.69 to AUD1. This means you can get the following:
- Whistler TRX-1 for AUD $594.00 (plus less than AUD $50 postage).
- Uniden UBCD3600XLT for AUD $601 (plus less than AUD $50 postage).

So that's either scanner delivered to AU for under AUD $650.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Wowo! Thanks for the heads up - its rare that buying from the UK works out better!