GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
Post Reply
User avatar
terryhaynes
Forum Manager
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: RUNCORN, QLD
Contact:

GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by terryhaynes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm

HI,

I know most of you are aware, but I would like to reiterate to new members that the new Queensland Government Wireless Network WILL be 100% ENCRYPTED therefore no scanning/radio receiver can monitor it.

I wanted to mention this because I do not want to see our members spending their hard earned money on scanners such as the BCD436HP, BCD536HP and PRS-800 to find that they have wasted their money. I myself made that mistake back when the QPS changed over.

I guess this is the future of scanning.

Thoughts?

Terry.

brisescannerdude
Registered User
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm

There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

Truth be known there is a more towards more portable data devices like tablets which will move more traffic off this network so there will be less to listen to.

The 64million dollar question is - will the network expand in it's current form or are you looking at another white elephant?

rapps_101
Registered User
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by rapps_101 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 am

brisescannerdude wrote:There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

Truth be known there is a more towards more portable data devices like tablets which will move more traffic off this network so there will be less to listen to.

The 64million dollar question is - will the network expand in it's current form or are you looking at another white elephant?
After G20 the network will be decommissioned, taken apart and rebuilt
Starting with South east + Ipswich, then Brisbane, then north to Gympie and out to Toowoomba
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3

User avatar
dizzie131
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by dizzie131 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am

I am in SA so excuse my lack of knowledge, but am curious as I am going to Brisbane this year and was planning to take my 396XT...
When is the network going encrypted?
Which services use the GWN?
My paging feed website: http://www.cfsres.com

Comint
Senior Member
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by Comint » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:40 pm

dizzie131 wrote:I am in SA so excuse my lack of knowledge, but am curious as I am going to Brisbane this year and was planning to take my 396XT...
When is the network going encrypted?
Which services use the GWN?
The Government Wireless Network (GWN) is already encrypted, and long term plans are that all Users of the GWN will be encrypted.

The Police in the Greater Brisbane Area, have been encrypted for a number of years (P25 on Conventional repeaters).

The Police, Fire, and Ambulance will be using the GWN for the G20.

--
Comint

brisescannerdude
Registered User
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 pm

rapps_101 wrote:
brisescannerdude wrote:There are other more interesting thinks to listen to apart from cops in qld. I have taken more of an interesting in scanning for digital system than wanting to listen to the users on it.

Truth be known there is a more towards more portable data devices like tablets which will move more traffic off this network so there will be less to listen to.

The 64million dollar question is - will the network expand in it's current form or are you looking at another white elephant?
After G20 the network will be decommissioned, taken apart and rebuilt
Starting with South east + Ipswich, then Brisbane, then north to Gympie and out to Toowoomba
Arrh ok - it will cost the govt 64 million to have that done.

Ambos have gone to tender on there non-radio based solution, there will be less comms on this network. QFRS will not be far behind.

damofordfestival
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by damofordfestival » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Ambos are well and truly beyond the tender process for non radio based solution and have started to roll out this solution into its fleet about a month ago.

brisescannerdude
Registered User
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:36 pm

damofordfestival wrote:Ambos are well and truly beyond the tender process for non radio based solution and have started to roll out this solution into its fleet about a month ago.
Good to see they are leaving the 90's behind and moving on, that said there was a second tender up on the govt web site couple weeks ago asking for interested party's to quote on another 'ipad applications' for ambo's

damofordfestival
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by damofordfestival » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Ahh ok yes, I thought you may of been referring to the new MDT's currently being rolled out.

brisescannerdude
Registered User
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm

damofordfestival wrote:Ahh ok yes, I thought you may of been referring to the new MDT's currently being rolled out.
Yes I was, friends in the police are very happy with there solution except when they roam out of a LTE area back to 3g, hope the ambo solutions work just as well for them

damofordfestival
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by damofordfestival » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Are you referring to Qlite?

brisescannerdude
Registered User
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by brisescannerdude » Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm not sure of the name of it but qlite sounds correct considering qprime is the main system.

Ambo and fire also have similar systems in various stages of deployment

Also if the friend is correct access to voice comms from gwn is also on the cards and from what has occurred overseas in US and EU already a reality. gwn may only have a short life in reality in qld.

User avatar
Radio_Australia
Registered User
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Australia

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by Radio_Australia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Yes Qlite is their Apple iOS app .

Sprocketz
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:21 am

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by Sprocketz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:11 am


User avatar
terryhaynes
Forum Manager
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: RUNCORN, QLD
Contact:

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by terryhaynes » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for the update!!

gcscan
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by gcscan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Hello all and thanks for the update about the GWN.

I have been monitoring the GWN with my scanner for a while now, and it has been active for over a year from Surfers Paradise which would be the closest broadcast site to my home on the Gold Coast. According to https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7805 I have the site frequencies loaded in to my scanner (Uniden 396XT) as a P25 trunking system. To add to this thread you will still pick up the control frequencies and if your scanner enables it you will still find the usable channels and a data broadcast, however as stated here I have not been able to hear any voice on these channels because of encryption etc etc. Just adding in case people are having the same issue picking up the trunk and not being able to hear the transmissions. It's there yeas the scanner knows its there but you cant hear anything but the digital mode.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Post Reply