Love Scanning!

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
response09

Love Scanning!

Post by response09 »

G'day Everyone, I've been into scanning for about 12 years. I first kicked off with 2-way radio in 1975 with the CB craze. I then went on to use HF, VHF & UHF radios for work and leisure up to now. In my area of Northern NSW, we don't have a great deal to listen to on the scanner, but we do have Police, Ambulance & Fire still on analogue plus local NPWS, Councils plus Air of course. Apart from CB and Air, 20 channels easily cover the rest. OK everyone, good to be here and look forward to reading through all the posts. Cheers.
rooster

Re: Love Scanning!

Post by rooster »

Welcome to the forum response09,

Which part of northern NSW (roughly speaking) are you from?
response09

Re: Love Scanning!

Post by response09 »

G'Day Rooster, I'm between Armidale and Glen Innes and receive the Police signals from the Ben Lomond repeater. (79.5125 MHz). The base signals originate from Tamworth. Eventually they will go digital I guess, but enquiries don't reveal just when. I believe the Central West district is also still analogue. I think they may be based in Tamworth as well.
I'm not sure how Police UHF signals would go if they switched over from VHF, as my experience with UHF CB shows limited range and black spots abound in the Northern Tablelands. So there would have to be considerably more repeaters located right around the Police district for reliable UHF coverage. I have read newspaper reports suggesting the enormous cost of this is the reason we have not gone UHF digital as yet. (Whether encrypted or not). Even the present VHF signals are unreliable at times in some areas and unless a phone tower is within range, which is usually the case when in areas where the radio drops out, then the Police are on their own.