G'day - Tuning Back In :)

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
DigiDave

Post by DigiDave »

G'day - I like to know what's going on around the neighborhoods in which I live. As a renter I have lived in over 30 different dwellings. Many of those areas were and still are, to a varying degree, low income and welfare dependent. Noise complaints, domestic violence, child abuse and many other unsavory facets to the reality of living on the bottom rung can make owning a police scanner an empowering tool. Especially when you have kids of your own growing up in such neighborhoods.

I've got a few interesting stories with how I have flagged one of my own kids before the school even bothered to tell me what was going on. When it comes down to your own flesh and blood, there is not a rule on this earth that can tell me how to use my electronic devices. Again - depending on your own circumstances, owning such a tool can really help to give a sense of control. Something I can not emphasize enough when considering the current climate.

Thankfully the kids are all grown up now. We still rent and thinking of getting a scanner back, as it's such a great tool for picking out areas in which to live. Whilst our means will dictate mostly the places in which we can live, a scanner can often provide extra detail to which real-estates often leave out.

So - for some of us - looking out for our kids or saving the streets from our own, down to picking out safer places to live ... are but just a few useful reasons we have come to know what owner a scanner has to offer up.

I also feel the public should have a right to know what's going on behind the scenes. Owning a scanner is just another level of accountability in much the same way a police carries a recording device. What people do with the information is of course questionable, however what I share here today is nothing more than the positive aspects to which we have experience as scanner listeners.

"I know exactly where you were son because I heard you being flagged at precisely bla bla bla - You won't be playing with those kids again and your grounded for the next month" LOL True story - The local school to which my boy attended was shocking at keeping us parents updated to such episodes. Owning that old scanner helped us keep track of our boy and know exactly what was going on when it was going on. It's good to know what's going on!

Owning a scanner is imo an Invaluable tool for parents struggling to remain positive in low socioeconomic environments. Other benefits of course include road closure warnings - additional info to road accidents that may impact hold up times and prompt one not to get stuck in a jam - expect to hear emergencies vehicles before you even hear them - know ahead of time where congestion will hit - discover that some news reports did not get it right - distinguish between reality and hype - oh wow - is that what the neighbours been into ... LOL @ the latter ... I can say though that if your get bored, you will always find something to gossip about if such floats your boat.

At the end of the day - Owning a scanner when in the hands of a good listener can offer much more than what most people think. We had one for quite a few years and thought we were done with the pass time - it's been less than a year and already we are itching to get back into the listening.

So there have it - that's my story and also pretty much my introduction. ;)
______

PS - The main reason I joined today was to make the following thread:
Legal Ramifications of Live Streaming? AUSTRALIA QLD
http://www.aussiescanners.com.au/forum/ ... 243&t=7499

I'd really appreciate if anyone would care to discuss.
I really do feel the positive aspects to knowing what's really going on far outweigh the negatives of others who would have us remain in the dark.

Also - if you know of anyone that blogs on this kind of thing, I would be really interested. In fact - if we get back into the swing of things as avid listeners as we once were - I'd love to start my own blog. Obviously - one would have to be well versed in the legalities.

If it seems feasible to live stream in my area - I'd love to hear the latest with scanner recommendations. I'm all ears.

Let's chat? (I'm not getting much with the search results in here - not thus far - I'll work on it.)
~Dave.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum!
DigiDave

Re: G'day - Tuning Back In :)

Post by DigiDave »

Hang on,
I'll just adjust my squelch,
arrrrrr - that's very kind of you,
Thank You!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: G'day - Tuning Back In :)

Post by Phantom »

Won't have to worry about the squelch as much when digital becomes active in your area :)