Hi

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
redstar

Hi

Post by redstar »

Thought I better post a bit of an intro. I was interested in 27mhz and UHF cb going back probably 20 years ago. I had both set up as well a a uniden scanner back in the day. I suppose I got interested in other things, like the opposite sex, work, mortgage etc and the hobby fell by the wayside. I have recently bought myself a cheap scanner from dick smith, a uniden UBC355XLT. I have been getting back into electronics as well and studying the Entry into Amateur Radio publication from the WIA in order to get my amateur licence. I am located in SE Melbourne and also get up to the north east of the state quite regularly around the Wangaratta area and will probably move up there in the coming months. I'm mainly getting my amateur licence to work some HF but I'm not sure how relevant the hobby is these days. I have been monitoring the local 2m & 70cm repeaters and I must say there's not much going on. Anyway hi to everyone.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Hi

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum
emergen

Post by emergen »

Welcome Redstar. I'm an licensed ham radio opperator. You questioned as to how relevant the hobby is these days. Like you I had an interest in radios years ago and only became interested again. Part of that regaining interest included getting my ham license. Ham radio has a role to play in this day and age in communications during disasters etc. By definition the hobby is for radio experimentation. That also includes practice. Take the time to learn as radio comms is different in a lot of ways to when you and I used to play around with comms years ago. However in a lot of other ways it's still very much the same.
emergen

Post by emergen »

Redstar there are a number of amateur radio clubs in Melbourne that can assist you getting your licence. I find ham radio great for communicating while travelling as you can access 2m and 70cm repeaters as you travel. Typically you'll find ham folks are uber friendly.

You said you are looking at moving to Wangaratta and I do know that there is a 70cm (UHF) repeater providing coverage and there should be 2m (VHF) as well.

I come from a country area and have worked in remote areas as a health care worker. I would've loved to have had my ham ticket then as doing some HF Dxing would've reduced the isolation. If you found 27MHz CB fun and you did some Dxing with that I think you'd blow your mind with ham Dxing. Add a 477Mhz UHF, ham radio and a scanner into the equation I can see fun times ahead.
redstar

Post by redstar »

I should be able to get a hf rig set up fairly shortly after getting my license which will hopefully happen in a few weeks time. I'll look forward to making some good dx contacts. I'm hoping that between the hf, 2 and 70 as well as the scanner I'll have something to entertain myself with. I'm looking to build a few antennas and whatever else I can and just see how I go. Between radio, working and working on my old Honda motorcycle I should have plenty to do.
chilicom

Post by chilicom »

Hi redstar I was interested in you saying you were using a ubc355xlt. I was thinking of getting a ubc355xlt also and was wondering what you think of it and are you using the supplied antenna?. I was thinking of getting a scatx mobile one or a diamond d3000n antenna for better reception. however if you are getting good reception then I might wait.As similar location have you been able to pick up much ? and steer me in the right direction of some frequencies. Or are the preprogrammed ones doing the job. I am just getting back to the joys of radio after a long interval . Have too many questions I fear. Thanks for you time.
redstar

Post by redstar »

Actually it's not a bad scanner for the money. It is a bit limited in programming features. It is tedious to program because it has no numeric keypad to directly enter frequcies. You need to scan up to a desired frequency. In my experience your best bet is an antenna mounted outside otherwise you will be limited in what you can receive. I am using an old discone I dug out of my shed that's been there for a couple of decades. It does the job very well. As far as frequecies are concerned they are fairly well documented on the Internet but I'll list some when I'm home next for you no problem. I reckon there are better scanners out there that you should consider if money is not an issue it really is a bugger to program.
chilicom

Post by chilicom »

Thanks for the information. No numeric keypad does sound incredibly tedious, only seen the unit in a picture . Did not think about it thanks for warning me. Thought it might be a cheaper way to get scanning again until I can save up the dollars for a digital. Was looking at the ubc d396xt. open to any advise on what I should consider. Cobbling together some bits to install an old scanner whip on a pole for better rx. Thinking of either getting or trying to make a discone. hopefully it will work. Don't really quite know the technical (brain)side yet but willing to give building a design a go as have same basic skills. Lots to learn. Some melbourne frequencies would be excellent thanks
emergen

Post by emergen »

Hey Redstar did you do that ham exam yet???? I'd love to know if you have good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk