Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
SunnybankScan

Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by SunnybankScan »

Hello all! :)

This is directed at newer members mainly. But staff, feel free to join in.

Im just wanting to know how everyone became interested in scanning, emeregncy services or radios in general? And is anyone interested in setting up a time to meet up or get together?

If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat about anything it doesnt have to be site related, just PM, comment, or conatact me if you have MSN, and we can chat.

All the staff and members on this site are more than willing to talk, help and give advice. Don't be discouraged by expereice you may have had on other forums, (I speak from experience) :lol: Don't think your questions are stupid and no one will answer them, many of us here don't know everything about scanning and radios, I'm still learning things myself 8)

Try and get your mates involved too. :)

Cheers
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
noodles88

Re: Hey! Newer Members - Please Read

Post by noodles88 »

I listen to live online streaming via moreton diver. A few months ago there was an incident near my house involving police and dog squad. I was curious to know what happened so I searched online for scanners and came across moreton diver. I never found out what happened that night but I've been a regular listener since.

The site was down for a few days and while searching for other online scanners I came across this site which required me to become a member before viewing info re scanning sites. I found it to be a great resource and I check in regularly to see whats new.

I'm probably a minority in this community as I'm female, and for me I like having access to a forum that is interesting and isn't full of profanity and immature crap (well mostly :lol: )

My interest is in emergency services and how they operate, and also just knowing what happens on the gold coast once the sun goes down..
workerboy

Post by workerboy »

It all started for me, when the GME TX4400 came out, just punched in the local freqs for the police down home and hey presto, something interesting to listen to while working the long days & nights on the land.

But in the purest form I only bought my first scanner a pre loved portable UBC73XLT less than 12 months ago. No way back now always looking for more. Loving tinkering with electronics I put a discriminator port for the 'ambo screen' in it last month. I've always been interested with listening to the emergency services fire & ambo here in brisbane. But down home in a country town the police was awesome easily got to know all the numbers, knew most of the places they were talking.

I was one of those inactive members until the last couple of months and would recommend to any one else out there that is 'just a looker' like I was. Join in we all have a piece of info that will help some one
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

noodles88 wrote:I listen to live online streaming via moreton diver. A few months ago there was an incident near my house involving police and dog squad. I was curious to know what happened so I searched online for scanners and came across moreton diver. I never found out what happened that night but I've been a regular listener since.

The site was down for a few days and while searching for other online scanners I came across this site which required me to become a member before viewing info re scanning sites. I found it to be a great resource and I check in regularly to see whats new.

I'm probably a minority in this community as I'm female, and for me I like having access to a forum that is interesting and isn't full of profanity and immature crap (well mostly :lol: )

My interest is in emergency services and how they operate, and also just knowing what happens on the gold coast once the sun goes down..
Yeah, its good if you live in the area and can actually listen to police or emergency services, because that way you can go take a look :lol: Its great to have a female on the site, As far as im aware, your the first. So make sure you stay active.

Rochedalescan is very professional, so you dont have to worry about all that immature crap indeed. Do you use MSN noodles88?
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

workerboy wrote:It all started for me, when the GME TX4400 came out, just punched in the local freqs for the police down home and hey presto, something interesting to listen to while working the long days & nights on the land.

But in the purest form I only bought my first scanner a pre loved portable UBC73XLT less than 12 months ago. No way back now always looking for more. Loving tinkering with electronics I put a discriminator port for the 'ambo screen' in it last month. I've always been interested with listening to the emergency services fire & ambo here in brisbane. But down home in a country town the police was awesome easily got to know all the numbers, knew most of the places they were talking.

I was one of those inactive members until the last couple of months and would recommend to any one else out there that is 'just a looker' like I was. Join in we all have a piece of info that will help some one
Yeah, sounds good.

Are you looking at getting more equipment? You use MSN?
Cheers
SunnybankScan

rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Second female that we know of :D, there's another lady that does fire photography Pheonix_Rising I think it is.
And no probs we are all professional around here.

Cheers Shane
Last edited by Stretch on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Rochedalescan wrote:Second female that we know of :D, theres another lady that does fire photography Phenox_Rising I think it is.
And no probs we are all proffesional around here.

Cheers Shane
Phoenix Rising it is and yes like me, she does photography.
Mitch Rogers
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Theres got to be more new or older "not as active" members out there. Come talk here.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

AusRambo

Post by AusRambo »

Been registered on the site since it was called "rochedalescan" rather than aussiescanners just haven't posted anything. Came here originally for info and ended up finding more than i expected to. Haven't bought myself a scanner yet though, been to busy with life etc but I plan to as soon as i know what I should buy for what i want to do with it (and when i have money). Anyway got into all this because there is always something interesting to listen to and there always seems to be sirens going off in my town so id like to know what is going on.
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

AusRambo wrote:Been registered on the site since it was called "rochedalescan" rather than aussiescanners just haven't posted anything. Came here originally for info and ended up finding more than i expected to. Haven't bought myself a scanner yet though, been to busy with life etc but I plan to as soon as i know what I should buy for what i want to do with it (and when i have money). Anyway got into all this because there is always something interesting to listen to and there always seems to be sirens going off in my town so id like to know what is going on.
Where abouts are you from.

If you eventually buy a scanner, what do you think you will get?
Cheers
SunnybankScan

Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

AusRambo wrote:Been registered on the site since it was called "rochedalescan" rather than aussiescanners just haven't posted anything. Came here originally for info and ended up finding more than i expected to. Haven't bought myself a scanner yet though, been to busy with life etc but I plan to as soon as i know what I should buy for what i want to do with it (and when i have money). Anyway got into all this because there is always something interesting to listen to and there always seems to be sirens going off in my town so id like to know what is going on.
It became Aussie Scanners about a week (maybe two) ago so yeah hasn't been long. Where are you located? What did you want to listen to mainly? How much did you want to spend? Handheld or desktop?

Answer the above questions and we'll help wherever we can. (Sounds like a RACQ ad :P)

EDIT - Damn Jarrod you beat me in my post :P
Mitch Rogers
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Hahaha Yeah! :D
Cheers
SunnybankScan

AusRambo

Post by AusRambo »

SunnybankScan wrote:
Where abouts are you from.

If you eventually buy a scanner, what do you think you will get?
I was originally from Rochedale, I'm now in the mid-north coast nsw. Yeah that's the thing, I have no idea what kind of scanner I should be looking at. Where I live there is pretty much everything to listen to; obviously all the emergency services (police, fire, ambos, ses), also an airport, reservist base, lots of maritime traffic and a repeater probably only 15km away. Id like to listen in to as many diff things as possible but if one device can't do that (I obviously don't know either way but it would seem like that shouldn't be a problem) then police is my main goal just because they seem to be soo active here, could be interesting.
Stretch wrote:It became Aussie Scanners about a week (maybe two) ago so yeah hasn't been long. Where are you located? What did you want to listen to mainly? How much did you want to spend? Handheld or desktop?

Answer the above questions and we'll help wherever we can. (Sounds like a RACQ ad :P)

EDIT - Damn Jarrod you beat me in my post :P
Wanting to listen mainly to the police, Mid-north coast cops shouldn't be encrypted, not a big town. Desktop I'm assuming would be more versatile and get more range? From looking at prices a decent scanner seems to be in the range of 200-400$ I'm fine with those prices. At the moment would probably be listening in fairly often as I don't have much to do lately (tafe, looking for work etc, Bartender by trade).
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

No I don't think the NSWPF are encrypted on the north coast. But don't hold me to that.

A Uniden UBCT8/9 would be a suitable scanner.

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_ubct8_index.asp
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... cts_id=204
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm

I have one and am about to get a UBCT9 (same unit) :) and they are bloody good units.

Hope this helps.
Mitch Rogers
AusRambo

Post by AusRambo »

Very cool, cheers. Looks like they have exactly what im after. I think ill go for the UBCT9, seems to do the same job, but cheaper.
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

yeah they are identical to the T8, but come with the computer lead, cd
not a bad unit at all
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

I have a T8 in my car. Great unit.

Are you after a desktop or something more portable?
Cheers
SunnybankScan

AusRambo

Post by AusRambo »

SunnybankScan wrote:I have a T8 in my car. Great unit.

Are you after a desktop or something more portable?
Nah it will sit next to my at my computer, portability isn't a worry so the UBCT9 will do just fine. Just a matter of money now. Well money and docs, any info you guys can point me at would be great, I'm guessing a lot of the info I will need will be found in the users manuals etc? The UBCT9 seems pretty straight forward although I have practically no experience with scanning, trunk tracking etc. I'm into phreaking but this is a totally different game.
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Yeah mate. The T8/9 is one of the most user friendly scanners out, I taught myself to use it in about 10mins. I dont read user manuals.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

bobhod
Newly Registered Users

Post by bobhod »

Hi all I have been out of both ham and cb radio for many years now. I got my ham licence fifty years ago and was playing around with cb before that. In those days we used to convert old pye am taxi radios to 27 megs and work the skip from the usa.

The last time I was on cb (27 megs) was 31 years ago operating from fiji and used to talk daily into Australia.

I know the there is little 27 megs around these days but I would like to but a president washington base and an antenna to get back on the air again.

Regards to all.

Bob