Poor decode percentage

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
cjl_72

Poor decode percentage

Post by cjl_72 »

Am only a noob and am having all sorts of problems with decode rates, both scanners have had their taps checked and have a new pactel sd1300 antenna with scanner splitter and running 2 versions of v3.12 thru windows 10 via Mic line in and a external plug in soundcard and working but only averaging 30% decode rate? Am stumped ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
madmarto

Re: Poor decode percentage

Post by madmarto »

cjl_72 wrote:Am only a noob and am having all sorts of problems with decode rates, both scanners have had their taps checked and have a new pactel sd1300 antenna with scanner splitter and running 2 versions of v3.12 thru windows 10 via Mic line in and a external plug in soundcard and working but only averaging 30% decode rate? Am stumped ImageImageImageImage

What was your decode rate before adding the new antenna? I added an external antenna to my setup and my rates dropped significantly. I'm now running a magnetic 6" UHF antenna mounted upside down on my verandah approx 2m off the ground and getting 100% decode rate. My frequency counter tells me there's a shit load of interference around my flat but this is the setup that works for me.
Crazy but true, and something for you to ponder

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Uniden UBCD396XT with UBC-RH96 remote head in the car; Uniden UBC73XLT (PDW), UBC396XT and UBCD436-PT at home.
cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

Was shit before too... only had the 2 handheld aerials before

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

If it matters i have comp mic and external volume both on 100%

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

Am i maybe on wrong frequencies?
148.6375 and 148.5625 is qhat i am set on

dags19

Post by dags19 »

PDW is a funny thing,i have 2 scanners fitted with a disc tap by scanner splitter guy(Dave) and i get 99 percent plugged into my tv aerial i am also using 2 of these one for each scanner http://www.discriminator.nl/usb/index-en.html
cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

dags19 wrote:PDW is a funny thing,i have 2 scanners fitted with a disc tap by scanner splitter guy(Dave) and i get 99 percent plugged into my tv aerial i am also using 2 of these one for each scanner http://www.discriminator.nl/usb/index-en.html
Should i have this as well? My taps were done by dave as well... what are your rates like without thing on link?

madmarto

Post by madmarto »

cjl_72 wrote:Am i maybe on wrong frequencies?

Not knowing where you are or what service you're trying to decode, we can't help with frequencies.
I use a discriminator tap from the weblink provided, it's easy to do if your mildly handy with a soldering iron.
Before the tap I found I was adjusting knobs and settings daily

Uniden UBCD396XT with UBC-RH96 remote head in the car; Uniden UBC73XLT (PDW), UBC396XT and UBCD436-PT at home.
cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

madmarto wrote:
cjl_72 wrote:Am i maybe on wrong frequencies?

Not knowing where you are or what service you're trying to decode, we can't help with frequencies.
I use a discriminator tap from the weblink provided, it's easy to do if your mildly handy with a soldering iron.
Before the tap I found I was adjusting knobs and settings daily

Gold coast.... scanning qas

madmarto

Post by madmarto »

Can't help with frequencies sorry, I'm in NE Vic

Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

They are the correct frequencies for your area.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

This could be an issue. Any reason why you're at 100% for Mic?

Try lower settings for everything first in regarding volume and mic and then small increases as required to see if you get better results.

Going 100% all out could cause forms of distortion so the signal becomes 'dirty' and useless.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

Pumper_50 wrote:This could be an issue. Any reason why you're at 100% for Mic?

Try lower settings for everything first in regarding volume and mic and then small increases as required to see if you get better results.

Going 100% all out could cause forms of distortion so the signal becomes 'dirty' and useless.

Have redone cable with 50ohm and up to 40%.... have played with volume and does not appear to affect it... does the antenna maybe need a booster?

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Do you have Mic Boost on at all in Windows? If you do can you turn it off and see what happens.

I always found if you go too much with volume, mic level and boost it would swamp PDW.

I always started off with the minimum amd then went from there.

How clear is the signal on your scanner when not feeding in to PDW? Does it sound full of static or noisey? Or clear?

Have to remember if there is too much noise and distortion you're feeding that in to PDW hence you can get inadequate decode.

Can you post up a pic of your settings of each section?

Do you know how far your nearest tower is for any of the freqs you monitor?

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

Pumper_50 wrote:Do you have Mic Boost on at all in Windows? If you do can you turn it off and see what happens.

I always found if you go too much with volume, mic level and boost it would swamp PDW.

How clear is the signal on your scanner when not feeding in to PDW? Does it sound full of static or noisey? Or clear?

Have to remember if there is too much noise and distortion you're feeding that in to PDW hence you can get inadequate decode.

Kk heres a cpl pics. I seem to miss bits? Hopefully tje probs are settings. Rhe first pic shows my options and settings... 2nd pic shows how i miss bits ImageImageImage

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

Pumper_50 wrote:Do you have Mic Boost on at all in Windows? If you do can you turn it off and see what happens.

And with both levels at 3/4 i get 70% thru the soundcard and yet only 33% or so thru the external soundcard. ImageImage

madmarto

Post by madmarto »

On my win7 box I found earphone 3 worked better for me (and still does), even before I did the discriminator tap on the scanner. Might just be a pc related setting for the PCI soundcard I'm using

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

madmarto wrote:On my win7 box I found earphone 3 worked better for me (and still does), even before I did the discriminator tap on the scanner. Might just be a pc related setting for the PCI soundcard I'm using

I seem to get 80+% on the ine running on mic in but the one on the external soundcard struggles below 50%. Really need to find out about settings

madmarto

Post by madmarto »

Unless you have a discriminator tap it's all about fiddling with settings unfortunately

cjl_72

Post by cjl_72 »

madmarto wrote:Unless you have a discriminator tap it's all about fiddling with settings unfortunately

Both scanners have taps and still no good