BART - GPS Locations

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
juzzbott

BART - GPS Locations

Post by juzzbott »

Hi All,

I've got a SDR dongle coming in a couple of days, and I'll be setting up PDW to then decode the pager messages. I'm just curious, if anyone is familiar with BART? If so, is there a way to get the GPS locations from the pager messages? How would BART get this information??

Cheers,
Justin
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: BART - GPS Locations

Post by Phantom »

Hi there
Welcome to the form
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Call them and ask

P 03 92648888
E info@emerg.com.au
chainz

Post by chainz »

You would need to code it yourself to do that if you know the code you need. Some people have done a similar thing coding PDW to extract locations and bring up in google maps but there's not to much info on it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
juzzbott

Post by juzzbott »

Hi Chainz,

Thanks for your response :)

I'm assuming that you mean I would need to parse the text in the pager message for location information and get a GPS coordinate based on that yeah? There's no "header" field or anything that can have custom data which includes this information?

Cheers,
Justin
chainz

Post by chainz »

Hey Justin
I'll see what I can dig up based on what I found a while ago about it and I'll link you to it

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie »

I'm thinking you'd have to either parse the address information in the pager message, or send an API call out to one of the CFA systems - either the incident management thing behind the auth'd CFA Online site, or their RSS feeds.
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

I have been advised that SES Members in Vic using BART have a big problem.

It appears BART is going to start charging units for the use of the system. I understand HQ wont be allowing units to fund any future subscription.
I have also been advised that the top Brass in Melb are telling members not to use BART, but to rely on the "official" alerting system, their pagers instead.

Farewell BART.
juzzbott

Post by juzzbott »

That's correct. As a VICSES member, our unit has been advised by State that our unit isn't allowed to purchase the BART system for our members.

As an alerting system, BART isn't really crash hot. As a reporting tool, it has a lot of potential.

I've been thinking more about this, and I think I'll look into using SpatialVision/Melway index maps to get the map numbers from Arcgis Shapefiles, and parse the pager messages for the map references.. This will give very close ballpark (within 500m) and further checks can be done from there.

Cheers,
Justin
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Cally460 wrote:I have been advised that SES Members in Vic using BART have a big problem.

It appears BART is going to start charging units for the use of the system. I understand HQ wont be allowing units to fund any future subscription.
I have also been advised that the top Brass in Melb are telling members not to use BART, but to rely on the "official" alerting system, their pagers instead.

Farewell BART.
If you have a Bart account you can go to members area and subscribe yourself for 30 bucks per year. After the 15th of feb 2016 you can subscribe without the SES approval as long as you have your most recent pager message from your EAS pager!
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

Just going through the email from VicSES it appears someone thinks that BART is intercepting EAS communications and is therefore breaching the telecommunications act.

The string of emails also say we are not encouraged to use it but can if we pay for it.... but SES wont be paying as they see it as being a party to intercepting EAS comms ....

Perhaps they need to make an app like FireReady....

The Bride has BART on her phone, but finds the pager is way more reliable..
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Cally460 wrote:Just going through the email from VicSES it appears someone thinks that BART is intercepting EAS communications and is therefore breaching the telecommunications act.

The string of emails also say we are not encouraged to use it but can if we pay for it.... but SES wont be paying as they see it as being a party to intercepting EAS comms ....

Perhaps they need to make an app like FireReady....

The Bride has BART on her phone, but finds the pager is way more reliable..
I spoke to Bart over PH and they said that Bart will be recognized By CFA as a source but not primary alerting system still Pager which is immediate anyways! Also they only give access to people who have permision to have access to the pager network
fletchba

Post by fletchba »

BART says that it shouldn't be used as the primary responding tool, it is used to track the team.
Coast Guard use its full functionality of the regional part of the app and they love it!

Fletch