Changing Channels

SteveNSWP

Changing Channels

Post by SteveNSWP »

Just curious what callsigns cars use when on a different channel????

Here in NSW when we have to cross over channels (which typically happens if we pass through an area on the way to somewhere else ie vehicle exchange or heading to another channel for a disaster ect) we continue to use the same callsign as the Command componant is different to anywhere else.

On my channel we call Lake or Wollongong before our unit identifier. If we change channel its still Lake or Wollongong because no where else has the same name.

I see that in QLD they just use the car numbers, so if for example if 200 from gold coast went onto logans channel where 200 on that channel is for a different station, how do they sort out the mess??? I've noticed that places are using callsigns like lima and romeo, but what happens when a sunshine coast car goes to south brisbane where both use sierra???

Steve.
Phil
Administrator

Re: Changing Channels

Post by Phil »

i don't think they do to be honest mate as i have heard Charlie Units on Logan Channels, i have also heard a Tango Unit from Brisbane Metro on the Logan Channel dropping off some equipment, i knew the callsign as i worked with him the night before, as for interstate i have not really heard many however i am guessing it would be for NSW coming into QLD VKG Richmond Tweed 202 to VKR or something of the like.

as for two Sierra units from two different districts i am not to sure on that it may be one for a QPS Officer to answer i might have a chat to a few of the officers i know in the South Brisbane District and see what the go is, however after thinking about it i dont think the Sunshine Coast guys can use the Digital Network so they would use a Analogue channel
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

they usually use their district and then the unit numbers

Brisbane units entering Redcliffe/Caboolture will call themselves something like "Boondall 210" or if they are going to be working for a shift in another area they will be assigned a callsign by Comms

Kev
surf4221
Newly Registered Users

Post by surf4221 »

Hey Steve

Because CAD is linked to all Comms centres, any unit from any district can be accessed and logged on to any district's comms centre. For example, when a special duties vehicle from Brisbane comes to the Gold Coast for a major event, they use their usual callsign such as Bravo Charlie 431. The GC VKR operator can simply enter BC431 and CAD will know who it is. Each district has a two-letter prefix before the 3 numerals on each callsign.
E.g. - Gold Coast = GC
- Coomera = CM
- Logan = LG
- Ipswich = IW
etc.

So, when a gold coast unit is calling in its own district, they just use Golf because the VKR operator knows what it means. But if they head up to brisbane, they will use Golf Charlie, to distinguish who they are.

This is similar to VKG, as each unit is listed in CAD with three letters and three numbers.
For instance, when a vehicle from State Crime Command comes to the northern rivers area for whatever reason, they may simply use the callsign "Crime 157", however the operator needs to enter SCC157 in CAD to get the correct vehicle up. There was recently a lot of confusion on the radio when Crime 157 came to the Northern Rivers area and they had no idea what their CAD letters were, and neither did the VKG operator. The operator had to find out and came back to them later on.

So as long as the operator knows the three letters, there is no problem. This is why QLD units will use (should use) their full callsign when they change district (Golf Charlie 235) etc.

I hope that you can read through my ramblings!
surf4221
Newly Registered Users

Post by surf4221 »

And just a quick note to brisbanescan, when NSW vehicles call VKR Broadbeach, they simply use their normal callsign such as Tweed-Byron 204 or Tweed Heads 15 etc. However when a QLD unit calls VKG, they say "Gold Coast 902" instead of Golf or Alpha 902. Just so they don't confuse the VKG operator
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

thanks surf for the explanation, much appreciated
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Wow - Surf4221 - interesting first posts?

Whats your background?
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

orangepeel wrote:Wow - Surf4221 - interesting first posts?

Whats your background?

I think its best not to ask, as we dont want to put him/her in the spotlight
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

A number of districts are also starting to role out two alpha then numerical call signs Eg Bravo Uniform 603 is the Bundaberg Dog Unit, Mike Romeo 902 is a Maryborough traffic unit.
srdudley

Post by srdudley »

Under the new CAD system every callsign in Regional QLD has a two letter prefect, some are using it some are not. Ipswich is IP, but they do not currenly use it, Toowoomba is TW (Tango Wiskey + number) Rockhamton is RK, but they do not use Romeo Kilo, just RK+Number.

I am currently in Townsville on Leave, and they are not using, the letters at all
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

surf4221 wrote:Hey Steve

Because CAD is linked to all Comms centres, any unit from any district can be accessed and logged on to any district's comms centre. For example, when a special duties vehicle from Brisbane comes to the Gold Coast for a major event, they use their usual callsign such as Bravo Charlie 431. The GC VKR operator can simply enter BC431 and CAD will know who it is. Each district has a two-letter prefix before the 3 numerals on each callsign.
E.g. - Gold Coast = GC
- Coomera = CM
- Logan = LG
- Ipswich = IW
etc.

So, when a gold coast unit is calling in its own district, they just use Golf because the VKR operator knows what it means. But if they head up to brisbane, they will use Golf Charlie, to distinguish who they are.

This is similar to VKG, as each unit is listed in CAD with three letters and three numbers.
For instance, when a vehicle from State Crime Command comes to the northern rivers area for whatever reason, they may simply use the callsign "Crime 157", however the operator needs to enter SCC157 in CAD to get the correct vehicle up. There was recently a lot of confusion on the radio when Crime 157 came to the Northern Rivers area and they had no idea what their CAD letters were, and neither did the VKG operator. The operator had to find out and came back to them later on.

So as long as the operator knows the three letters, there is no problem. This is why QLD units will use (should use) their full callsign when they change district (Golf Charlie 235) etc.

I hope that you can read through my ramblings!
1) not all the comms centres are linked
2) special duties from Brisbane is not BC431
3) Gold Coast is GC, Logan is LO, Coomera was CO, Redcliffe is RE, Ipswich will be IP, Toowoomba is TW

Local crews on their own channel (ie, Townsville or Ipswich) usually only use the numbers because it's largely pointless to say them when everyone knows why everyone is. Once you cross the border, or when there are multiple districts on the same channel the crews need to say the letters first so not to confuse the operator (because the numbers obviously double up)
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

SteveNSWP wrote:but what happens when a sunshine coast car goes to south brisbane where both use sierra???

Steve.
Sunshine Coast is SC and South Brisbane is BS - so even though the numbers are the same the cad system can easily differentiate between the two
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3