gme tx 4000 repair

Discussion on GME technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Silverghost 2
Newly Registered Users

gme tx 4000 repair

Post by Silverghost 2 »

Hi just wondering if anyone would have a repair manual for a gme tx 4000 that I've been given to try and repair. Not powering up. Nothing obvious in it so I have to dig deeper.
Thanks.
Scannersplitterguy

Re: gme tx 4000 repair

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Yipyip46

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good Morning Silver Ghost 2, The TX4000 has several common faults causing it not to power up. First check the 18 v Zener diode to see if it is short circuit. If it is the a PCB track running under the filter inductor is probably O/C. If the power is reaching the Zener then check the power to the 2 x 5volt regulators (1 next to the VCO chamber and 1 in the front right hand corner). These are the most common faults. If these check out ok then I have seen the 2200uF filter cap next to the VCO chamber leak and desolve the PCB tracks under it. If that is the case throw it in the bin. Other faults for not turning on are a faulty 5.00 mHz crystal and intermittant connections to the ON/OFF switch. The TX4000 is more than 15 years old now and specialized parts like displays and micros have not been available for a long time. Good luck with the repairs Regards

YipYip
Silverghost 2
Newly Registered Users

Post by Silverghost 2 »

It's all good now. Been a while since I've been back on here. Found the zener diode was blown. But also under the rf choke it had blown part of the track. Had to take choke out to find it. Repaired and given back but only to have it returned with another power problem. He had blown another zener and blew another spot on the track. Short story is don't try running tx4000 off of solar panels connected to a battery then run to the radio. It was creating a power spike more than 18 volts and blowing whatever it could to survive. Thanks.