Aerial Cable hooking up to aerial

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
oztrucker84

Aerial Cable hooking up to aerial

Post by oztrucker84 »

Hey guys, I purchased today a GME TX3520. second hand. I have included a pic. You can see the aerial cable has been cut. the guy said I can just strip the outside of the cable a bit and insert it up inside the base which he gave me. Im not sure if you can or not, so thought id ask you guys :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peteramjet

Re: Aerial Cable hooking up to aerial

Post by peteramjet »

Not quite that easy, these antennas were not really made to have the cable cut at that end. You will need to dissemble the base of the antenna and reconnect the cable properly. From memory with that GME antenna the centre cable will need to be soldered in place, but it's been a while since I did one of these.

I'm sure most people would agree that the antenna is the most important part of the set up, so if you can't get it done correctly I'd look at getting another antenna.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Quicker and easier, purchase a news antenna. That way you have a known start point.... Unless you like chasing your tail around in a circle, trying to figure out what part of the system is not working?
oztrucker84

Post by oztrucker84 »

Ok thanks. Where would the best place to get a decent antenna at a decent price be? Like supercheap etc have them but not.sure if they are good. And what type is best? Just want to scan for police etc and also a bit of contact on uhf etc.
michael
Administrator

Post by michael »

oztrucker84 wrote:Where would the best place to get a decent antenna at a decent price be?
Hi mate,

How did you get on with this?

I have a brand new RF470FW (Mobile One) antenna here that you can claim if you like, all you'll need to do is pay for postage and it's yours.

Cheers,
Mick