How to earth a vertical antenna?

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
vkcpolice

How to earth a vertical antenna?

Post by vkcpolice »

Hi i have a 17ft vertical 27mhz antenna on my roof that simply connects to a pl259 connector (the normal cb one)
im just wondering how do you earth these antennas its a lighting rod at the moment and everytime there is a storm im constantly unplugging it. any ideas?
SteveO

Re: How to earth a vertical antenna?

Post by SteveO »

Maybe you need one of these? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxenford ... 1018571776
72899de_20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

vkcpolice wrote:Hi i have a 17ft vertical 27mhz antenna on my roof that simply connects to a pl259 connector (the normal cb one)
im just wondering how do you earth these antennas its a lighting rod at the moment and everytime there is a storm im constantly unplugging it. any ideas?
You dont actually have to worry, any electrical conductivity you may suffer isn't likely to cause an issue. I have been struck about 10 times in the last 35 years of radio operations, and the worst i have suffered is a melted solder joint at the junction box on my longwires.
I wont say your NOT going to be hit , but think of this.....do you suffer a hit of 1k10 Volts on the stick, and lose an antenna.....or unplug in the shack and have 250k10 amps wildly flashing about inside looking for a location to amp out? This will blow anything you have with a diode or capacitor in it....errant electricity is vastly more costly than a lightning strike.

The best option is to leave it plugged in and ground its mounting. Just run a 10mm wire from the mast to the water pipes on your house or flat. SIMPLE.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah i earth the mast on mine with good results, i run ADB-S and no popped boxes yet. Run the cable with no sharp kinks down and run a 1.5mtr rod into the ground.

Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone