BEST ANTENNA FOR HH (BNC)

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
AIRMAN

BEST ANTENNA FOR HH (BNC)

Post by AIRMAN »

Anyone have a recommendation for an antenna suitable for AIRBAND (vhf) with a BNC connection?

I read that Diamond SRH 120 or SRH 940 maybe OK. Anyone have one of these?

AOR 8200 Mk III has a supplied telescopic which I have heard can be improved upon as it has mediocre performance.

UK reviews state that a Watson is good as well, but I can't find any Aussie outlet for that brand.

Thanks,
Airman
bodyguard

Re: BEST ANTENNA FOR HH (BNC)

Post by bodyguard »

you could always get 1/4 braze wire length of 575mm and connect directly to a bnc plug,
that would give you 1/4 wave on about 124mhz
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

bodyguard wrote:you could always get 1/4 braze wire length of 575mm and connect directly to a bnc plug,
that would give you 1/4 wave on about 124mhz
1/4 BRAZE WIRE.... what is that exactly BG? I have a few BNC connectors in my boxes & I have solder kit.
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

1/4 brazing rod, its what used sometimes in a workshop, its a brass colour and used for joining

Goto your local engineering worksop and ask
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:1/4 BRAZE WIRE.... what is that exactly BG? I have a few BNC connectors in my boxes & I have solder kit.
Brazing rod/wire. It is usually used with oxy-acetylene. Solders nicely.

Some of the larger hardware stores may still stock it, otherwise a place that does welding.

After you solder on the BNC pin, fill up the back of the connector with epoxy (such as araldite) to support the wire, and take the stress off the pin.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Thanks guys, I'll look up the yellow pages.
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

Wrap a piece of 2mm silver solder rod in electrical tape, then spot glue a length of 2mm 16 core electrical wire up it. Make sure the wire and solder rod have NO ELECTRICAL contact to one another, then heatshrink the two together. At the base end, wrap the heatshrink CLOSELY with 14-17 turns of 5 amp fuse wire, then cover with tape. Add an FT50-43 toroid and tape this to the base aswell, now you have a 5 Db Handheld antenna.

SORRY my BAD....I misread the first post.. this antenna is shown as 477Mhz --- for 122 Mhz the length is 61.4 cm for BOTH the solder rod and wire. And i would use 2 - 3 toroids to stop RF and the length requires 31-35 turns of 5 amp fuse wire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Azoic on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Azoic wrote:Wrap a piece of 2mm silver solder rod in electrical tape, then spot glue a length of 2mm 16 core electrical wire up it. Make sure the wire and solder rod have NO ELECTRICAL contact to one another, then heatshrink the two together. At the base end, wrap the heatshrink CLOSELY with 14-17 turns of 5 amp fuse wire, then cover with tape. Add an FT50-43 toroid and tape this to the base aswell, now you have a 5 Db Handheld antenna.

How long is the 2mm silver solder rod?

16 core electrical wire length?

What is heatshrink?

What is an FT50-43 toroid?

Where does the BNC connect?

A photo of this set up would be ideal.

Airman
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

AIRMAN wrote:
Azoic wrote:Wrap a piece of 2mm silver solder rod in electrical tape, then spot glue a length of 2mm 16 core electrical wire up it. Make sure the wire and solder rod have NO ELECTRICAL contact to one another, then heatshrink the two together. At the base end, wrap the heatshrink CLOSELY with 14-17 turns of 5 amp fuse wire, then cover with tape. Add an FT50-43 toroid and tape this to the base aswell, now you have a 5 Db Handheld antenna.

How long is the 2mm silver solder rod?

16 core electrical wire length?

What is heatshrink?

What is an FT50-43 toroid?

Where does the BNC connect?

A photo of this set up would be ideal.

Airman

Pic and dimension's added
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Thanks for the pic and dimensions Azoic.