How to check SWR?

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
mitch

How to check SWR?

Post by mitch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:25 am

Ok, so im putting a new antenna on my bullbar for 27mhz. I have been told i should really check the SWR, but how do i check it?

Mitch

Phantom
Forum Manager

How to check SWR?

Post by Phantom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 am

Swr meter.

Plug swr meter inline (between radio and antenna)

Azoic

Re: How to check SWR?

Post by Azoic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 am

You need an SWR meter and a patch lead. The patch lead should be NO SHORTER than 36 inches, and should be RG-213 or RG-8 coax for best results. you should use the best meter you can afford, or for a single time installation, go to a reputable CB / Two Way radio business. They will charge you for the service, but they will do it properly. The better the SWR on an antenna, the better the RECEIVED signal will be, a high SWR wont affect your Transmittted signal until it's above 6-7 : 1 , and no pre tuned HF antenna will be that bad. The reflected power on a high SWR slows the forward power of transmitted power in a continuous loop effect, effecting the output power up the stick. Put simply, without the 14 lines of mathematical equations, the lower the SWR the better the received signal on both sides...yours is stronger for MORE power going out and not coming back and looping up and down the coax, and the RECEIVED signal is louder due to a better overall matching of antenna to receiver