Using One Antenna for Scanner + UHF -IN car use

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
tingalpa.scan
Newly Registered Users

Using One Antenna for Scanner + UHF -IN car use

Post by tingalpa.scan »

Hi All. I recently bought a Uniden UHF 477mhz run of the mill road CB for the car. I am about to buy a Uniden Scanner, and wondering if I can use the one antenna on the car for both units. I'll get a multi band antenna , and join both units too the antenna. Reason being I just want one antenna on the car. I'm going to get a handheld scanner and I figure that it will perform better with an external antenna rather then inside the car with it's small antenna.

So Will this work, and what is best method of joining the 2 units too the antenna (splitter?) cheers
This is the UHF cb http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh015sx_index.asp
This is the Scanner: http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_ubc93xlt_index.asp
alinco21

Re: Using One Antenna for Scanner + UHF -IN car use

Post by alinco21 »

yes splitter will be fine, but do not transmit with the scanner attached to the line.

it could damage yor scanner.

Paul
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Does the uniden UHF have the same BNC connection as the scanner ? thats interesting.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
workerboy

Post by workerboy »

I know it's some effort but have you thought of those 'F' type Tv / Satelitte power pass splitters. I'm not a tech but would assume that it could work as it does with a tv system with mast head amp. Have the pass on UHF and only the splitter for scanner..

The other way is using a splitter on your standard car aerial ( I have seen some one selling them probably ebay ) then you got no transmission troubles.
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

You can buy 3 way so-259 connector that pl-259's plug into. You don't want to transmit on the uhf with the scanner plugged in, you'll send the scanner deaf pretty quickly if not straight away.
If you do want to transmit on the uhf, which is why you would be buying one, you'll need a uhf antenna of course and will have to unplug the scanner. The problem here is that the 3 way so-239 plug will throw the swr out on your uhf wrecking it, not overnight but it will happen.
If it is only the police you want to listen to on your scanner a uhf antenna will work very well being very close to the police frequencies. You can also buy a uhf radio that scans the police frequencies, uniden use to make one not sure if they still do.
The only way I could see you getting it to work is with an antenna switch reversed so that it switches between the scanner and uhf. Leave it on the scanner and switch to the uhf when you want to use it.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Pretty much everyone has said the same thing;

DON'T TRANSMIT WITH YOUR SCANNER CONNECTED!
Mitch Rogers
leighbus

Post by leighbus »

Or you could get a uniden uh015sx. Its a scanner and cb in one. Thats what i have in my car and i use it every day. Works great.
Colonel

Post by Colonel »

leighbus wrote:Or you could get a uniden uh015sx. Its a scanner and cb in one. Thats what i have in my car and i use it every day. Works great.
Will it scan all UHF freqs including the low UHF ones like QAS. I assume it won't do VHF

Who makes these dual band ones?
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

Why would you want to transmit on other bands beside the CB?

Paul.
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

Colonel wrote:
leighbus wrote:Or you could get a uniden uh015sx. Its a scanner and cb in one. Thats what i have in my car and i use it every day. Works great.
Will it scan all UHF freqs including the low UHF ones like QAS. I assume it won't do VHF

Who makes these dual band ones?
The uniden uh015sx will scan from 400 to 512Mhz.
alinco21 wrote:Why would you want to transmit on other bands beside the CB?

Paul.
You don't really but the Yaesu in question won't transmit on uhf cb without the mod.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

oh I see :oops:
workerboy

Post by workerboy »

I finally found that web site that does a scanner/car radio splitter, http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
It took a while and the thread went a different way but a valid option for people that don't want another aerial.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

workerboy wrote:I finally found that web site that does a scanner/car radio splitter, http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
It took a while and the thread went a different way but a valid option for people that don't want another aerial.
The guy that makes those lives up Sunshine Coast I think and also sells them on ebay.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

I have seen the above mentioned splitters on ebay not sure if it's the same ones as on the website listed, I haven't checked.
blacky

Post by blacky »

we have switchs at work that allow you to simply flick the switch to utilise any radio your working with. you could mount the switch in the car, then select the radio you want to use. easy fix, im 99% sure it channels the rf to the desired radio. This way you wont wreck your scanner.
CC Communications - VOIP, DSL, RF Comms, GPS, Tech Support and more. Forum Aussie Owned and operated!
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Hi guys,
I'm the fella that makes the splitters.
They are listed on eBay as well as my website.
As most of you are already aware, they are not designed to be used with a transmitter.
Of course, it would work with a UHF and scanner on RX, but if you press the PTT button the scanner will be history.....
What's needed here is an RF relay to isolate the scanner from the UHF CB while in transmit mode.
I could design a suitable device if needed.

Cheers,
David.
www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
idexnz
Newly Registered Users

Post by idexnz »

What antenna do you have for this?
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

That's easy... it would have to be a UHF TX antenna :mrgreen:
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:Hi guys,
I'm the fella that makes the splitters.
They are listed on eBay as well as my website.
As most of you are already aware, they are not designed to be used with a transmitter.
Of course, it would work with a UHF and scanner on RX, but if you press the PTT button the scanner will be history.....
What's needed here is an RF relay to isolate the scanner from the UHF CB while in transmit mode.
I could design a suitable device if needed.

Cheers,
David.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com

id be interested in that, I have a new car but I only want 1 antenna for the ICom ICR and Uniden Scanner.

Otherwise ill use a on glass antenna but not sure of the recepton quality
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone