Digital radio systems costly & problematic

Stay informed and up to date with the latest happenings in the radio communications land, these are reposts from other news websites
AIRMAN

Digital radio systems costly & problematic

Post by AIRMAN »

I have found lots of dissatisfaction with digital radio systems. The USA has lots of police and emergency services statewide who have funded millions of dollars to find the systems are poor performers, some even don't work causing loss of life in some cases.

We all seem to follow American technology. So lets hope this time that our elected leaders don't waste taxpayers money on digitally encrypted systems, especially those that are costly failures.

Have a read of this which is one of many that can be found on line:

http://blog.tcomeng.com/index.php/2011/ ... al-radios/
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Digital radio systems costly & problematic

Post by Phantom »

Whilst I see in the post that there was a problem with this radio system - like any equipment - failures will occur.

There are similar problems with the analogue system here in Australia, same with the mobile telephone network - the list will be endless....

If you are able to design a system that is failure proof - patent it and you will be set for life.

Interesting article to read thou...
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

Interesting read, but digital radio is already here and has been for some time. Would be interesting to find out how it is going here in Aussie.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Newy1234 wrote:Interesting read, but digital radio is already here and has been for some time. Would be interesting to find out how it is going here in Aussie.
It didn't fare too well when QPS were chasing that BMW a while ago I believe.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

AIRMAN wrote:
Newy1234 wrote:Interesting read, but digital radio is already here and has been for some time. Would be interesting to find out how it is going here in Aussie.
It didn't fare too well when QPS were chasing that BMW a while ago I believe.
What makes you think that??
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

There was a problem with the chopper not being able to communicate with brisbane comms during that chase.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

That was not a case of the system breaking down/failing - rather a problem with the chopper not being able to TX on the QPS network
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

orangepeel wrote:That was not a case of the system breaking down/failing - rather a problem with the chopper not being able to TX on the QPS network
hmmm like they said no comms between chopper & ground
to me thats a fail
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Fail? Well if you have the correct/right equipment then you would be able to communicate??

If you use old/inferior equipment - then of course you will not be able to communicate. I think the question here is the network not the end user equipment in question - if the chopper was trying to communicate with the current QPS radio/s then of course it could be considered a failure, however if the chopper was using old equipment that is not compatable with the digital network then this cannot be classed as a failure, simply an update will fix this problem as the system is doing what is designed/suppose to do..??!!??