airband step sizes

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
dc8-63

airband step sizes

Post by dc8-63 »

Hi,
It's been a while since I programmed my scanner. Has the aeronautical step size changed in Australia - in Europe 8.33 khz is being phased in fast. What's the go here?
Tks.
bodyguard

Re: airband step sizes

Post by bodyguard »

not 100% sure, but I think its still 25khz
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

it has not changed yet in Aust.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

blondie wrote:
bodyguard wrote:not 100% sure, but I think its still 25khz
The latest Air Band transceiver's by ICOM AUSTRALIA only have 25khz steps.
That's a shame!

IC-RX7 has 8.33 kHz steps but it's a receiver only and its made in Japan. The reason for this step is that it divides the 25kHz step in to three giving three times more frequencies for voice traffic in the same bandwidth. Europe have had it for a while as they are sooo busy over there. Maybe the yanks have it too, but here in our part of the world we are not so congested so I doubt if it will come in any time soon.

Cheers
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:IC-RX7 has 8.33 kHz steps but it's a receiver only and its made in Japan. The reason for this step is that it divides the 25kHz step in to three giving three times more frequencies for voice traffic in the same bandwidth. Europe have had it for a while as they are sooo busy over there. Maybe the yanks have it too, but here in our part of the world we are not so congested so I doubt if it will come in any time soon.
Surprisingly, the Americans aren't using 8.33 kHz steps yet, and don't look like implementing it anytime soon.

--
Comint