Adding new channels to a TX3400

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
Garygls

Adding new channels to a TX3400

Post by Garygls »

Hi all my Name is Gary, i'm a newby to the forum and like to learn as much as can about my GME TX3400 UHF. Today inquired into the possiblity of adding more channels at the local supplier that also does programing. I took the instruction manual with me and i was told that it wasnt possible to add any extra channels to this UHF. He said this unit must be an early TX3400, i purchased this new aprox 5 to 6yrs ago. Very disapointed with the thought of having to change to another unit just so i get the extra channels as it is a great unit and never any issues.
So thats how i come to be at this forum hoping that the advise wasnt true and was to be able to add other channels. So far i downloaded the software for the tx3400 & installed to my computer and ready to use. So i suppose from here i am waiting for advise from you guys as to what i can do or maybe can't :cry:
I'm really keen to learn more about using UHF's other than listening to people always asking for a RADIO CHECK !!! and hear others jeckle them.
Thanx Gary :)
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Adding new channels to a TX3400

Post by rochedalescan »

Hi Gary,

Firstly welcome to the forums ! Secondly unfortunately that model did not have the option of being able to have any extra receive channels :(

In saying that it is still a good radio and there's no way you would get anything near what you paid for it 5 years ago if I were you I would get myself a programmable scanner as well there is a few options you can either get a handheld or get a desktop model which you could mount in your car. Your local Dick Smiths or if you want to try online http://www.prestigecom.net.au/ are a pretty good source.

Otherwise basically anything from the TX4400 up all have receive channels or a cheap Oricom UHF if you want to replace your unit.

Cheers Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Comint

Post by Comint »

Garygls wrote: . . . He said this unit must be an early TX3400, i purchased this new aprox 5 to 6yrs ago. Very disapointed with the thought of having to change to another unit just so i get the extra channels as it is a great unit and never any issues.
Seeing the ACMA did not start the review of the UHF Band until 2009, it is highly unlikely that a radio purchased 5 to 6 years ago would have been designed to facilitate the expansion to 80 channels, as the engineers would not have known of the need for such changes.

--
Comint
Garygls

Post by Garygls »

Thanks for your reply Shane. Your advise is good as why throw away a great unit just to listen too other channels.
Shopping time, well window shopping first as this time i'll check out the pros & con of my next purchase, i prefer to spend a little more time or money to have something more versatile.
Thanx Gary..
Garygls

Post by Garygls »

Icom IC-R8500 Communications Receiver. Wow looks great but a scarey price $1950.00 :o
justbad4you

Post by justbad4you »

i have the 3400.it does have 10 extra tx ch available.it has to be done via a pc with software,the prog cable is the same as the one used for the icom ic-400 pro and the software is available in the soft ware section.............
Garygls

Post by Garygls »

Hi it's been a while don't want to rush into things haha... I haven't done anything with the tx3400 and now I'm READY. Just read the last reply, could anyone help me with the path to the software mentioned please, many thanks