Police, fire, ambulance

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
hotmetal1000

Police, fire, ambulance

Post by hotmetal1000 »

Do the above services use the same frequencies thoughout Australia? For example are the Police between 468.000 and 470.700 in NSW?
The reason I ask is I'm off to Port Macquarie on Wednesday and was going to take a scanner with me as well as my Yaesu radio, give me something to do.
Comint

Re: Police, fire, ambulance

Post by Comint »

hotmetal1000 wrote:Do the above services use the same frequencies thoughout Australia? For example are the Police between 468.000 and 470.700 in NSW?
The reason I ask is I'm off to Port Macquarie on Wednesday and was going to take a scanner with me as well as my Yaesu radio, give me something to do.
Thats one of those Yes and No questions.
The NSW Police in the Sydney, Newcastle, and Woollongong areas are UHF in that frequency range, as are a lot of major towns, however most rural areas are still on Mid-Band VHF, around the 78-83 MHz range.

As for the Firies and Ambos, not that I know of.

Why not do a PostCode search, on the ACMA Database, for the Port Macquirie area.

--
Comint
Finch

Post by Finch »

No, Tassie police and SES use 800MHz EDACS trunking. TFS, TAS and SES (depending on location) use VHF around about 78MHz. TFS may be moving to EDACS later on.

But it looks like most police use UHF or VHF, mainly UHF aorund 468MHz. When I was scanning on the plane (Virgin Blue said Yes!), not knowing any freqs from the area, I was getting police very clearley on UHF when I was flying over the NSW/VIC boarder. Once I got to the airport I turned the scanner back on again, the voice comms that I was hearing on the plane are now encrypted data like sounds.
-Alex
-Alex
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

I can and have for Port Macquarie but I was more asking generally across Australia rather than specific to one spot. :)
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

Is the Tassie Police encrypted Finch?
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Finch wrote:When I was scanning on the plane (Virgin Blue said Yes
You were scanning on a plane :O

They allowed you to???
Mitch Rogers
Finch

Post by Finch »

The Tassie police is slowly going encrypted, so far some in Hobart, and a few encrypted channels are avaliable to the police statewide. I haven’t heard any encryption used in Launceston as yet. On the NW coast I heard this: "the offender may have a scanner, go to 38 and use encryption"
The SES will stay un-encrypted as far as I know.

I had a bit of trial and error with scanning on the plane. On the way to QLD I asked but the flight stewardess didn't get back to me, as I was getting off the plane she said: "I’m sorry I didn't get back to you, I got out the wrong manual"
On they way back to Melbourne I asked again, The stewardess said: "Yes, but you probably can't get reception." I said: "It's not a normal FM radio, it's a scanner". She said: "Well if it transmits it's not allowed". I said: "This radio can't transmit, you can only listen". She said: "I’ll go check with the captain". She came back with no. So I started to read the in-flight magazine then about 5 mins later she came back and said: "yes you can use it as long as it can't transmit."
I had a scan around and I found some police, I'm not sure if it was VIC or NSW.
Whilst scanning on the plane I got a very funny look from another stewardess as the first stewardess didn't ask/tell any other staff on board.
-Alex
-Alex
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Hey Finch what sort of scanner did you use on the aircraft?

How did you get it through the security check on the ground?

I thought of taking my Icom IC-R5 on board a Qantas flight BNE/SYD, but changed my mind. What put me off was airport security. I didn't want to risk having my scanner confiscated by some over zealous security official on the ground.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I had my scanner in hand luggage from NZ to Australia and had no problems.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Rochedalescan wrote:I had my scanner in hand luggage from NZ to Australia and had no problems.
I walked through the airport with it on my belt. Wasn't in plain view but you could see the bottom and when i bent over it came out and was visible but no one stopped me. I then put it on the tray to be screened got a few funny looks and went on.
Mitch Rogers
Finch

Post by Finch »

I used the UBC73XLT on board, I put it in hand luggage for screening. At the airport waiting for a connecting flight I had the scanner on the desk using Close call writing down freqs or I had it on my belt. In check in luggage I had a UHF fibreglass antenna, about 3 metres of coaxial and a UBCT9, do they X-ray the check in baggage?
I don't know what was worse scanner at airport or scanner at Police station, I forgot to put away my scanner when I walked into the Police station to pick something up. They didn't notice.
-Alex
-Alex
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

So it seems that airport security is now allowing scanners?
I came across this:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... onitor.php

Apparently it claims to be permissible to use this while traveling on board a flight as it doesn't have an 'Oscillator'. :sc

I would be sceptical about how well operates. For instance how would you get it to 'move' on from unwanted continual transmissions such as ATIS? There's no shift or lockout control that I can see.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Im guessing it just locks onto the closest signal ? I guess if it was low enough you could turn the squelch up and move on to another one ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Finch

Post by Finch »

As far as I know only transmitting radios need a oscillator, not scanners?
-Alex
-Alex
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

when I came across in my bag I had
1x UBCt9
1x Alinco x2000
1x UBC 9000

nothing was queried, but the bag was xrayed
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Post by Comint »

alinco21 wrote:
Finch wrote:As far as I know only transmitting radios need a oscillator, not scanners?
-Alex
you are correct.
Really!

Basically any radio receiver, including TV sets, and excepting Crystal Sets, have a local Oscillator in them.

--
Comint
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

i suppose they only worry about oscillators and other similar RF equipment/components that radiate a carrier wave at any significant power?

Cheers,
YOUNGN
"YOUNGN"
robb

Post by robb »

That air band radio is not something I would buy in a hurry, I will probably just hear the Hobart Airport Weather frequency all the time with other stuff on top.
Happy scanning,

Uniden UBCD996 + 396T, UBC9000XLT, Icom IC-RX7, Yaesu FT-60.
mittynudge
Newly Registered Users

Post by mittynudge »

Yeah mate the NSW Police operated on the 468mhz range
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Apparently, about 18 months to 2 years ago a White Paper was put out by ACMA, to generate discussion amongst the Nation’s State & Territory Governments towards establishing a single National Defence & State & Territory Governments Radio Spectrum Network, which would see all Australian Defence, State & Territory Governments Departments and Emergency Service Communications merged into the 360MHz – 400MHz Spectrum Allocation.

In brief, the ACMA put forward its plans so to free up the 450 – 470MHz spectrum, so that the ACMA could support and implement the International Proposal to deploy Mobile Telephony Service in 450 – 470MHz spectrum.

The NSW Government in its submission supports further research into the suitability of the 360MHz – 400MHz Spectrum for General Land Mobile Radio Use, and indicated its favour in having the current Government Radio Network Allocation of 400MHz – 430MHz included to make the allocation between 360MHz – 430MHz.

If this plan is adopted, the plan would see the freeing up of the 450 – 470MHz spectrum by 2014.

So, one could say there are some interesting times ahead for Defence, State & Territory Departments and Public Safety Radio Networks.
Grant (JAFO)
VK2FGQ
Penrith NSW
Radio Gear:
Home UBC780XLT, Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-7100.
Mobile: UBCD536-PT, Yeasu FTN-200 Fusion, AnyTone D578UV DMR, Icom IC-7100HF, Codan 9350ATU, AnyTone D878UV DMR HH,